Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 3/32 or 1/18
  • john905
    Free Member

hi all…..can someone please define the difference of these sizes when deciding on ss chains and chainrings etc…..what size better for uk use?

_tom_
    Free Member

1/8 is a bit stronger afaik. More confidence inspiring for getting the power down as you don't constantly have the fear of the chain snapping 🙂

john905
    Free Member

thanks my thoughts too

clubber
    Free Member

No real world difference at all…

Dibbs
    Free Member

I've been using a 10 speed Dura-Ace chain for the past year without the slightest problem, chainline is much more important than what chain you use.

Rickos
    Free Member

I read somewhere this week that with all the development on geary type chains (3/32) they're actually stronger than BMX style (1/8) chains these days. So I bought a cheap KMC 8 speed from CRC.

Keef
    Free Member

multi speed chains are designed to shift,i.e. leave one sprocket,and ride onto the next,not really what you look for in a SS set up.
    Yes they are lighter,and work,and strength is not really an issue.
    Personally I only use Sram pc7x,which is a 1/8th track chain,not a bmx chain,been using them around 7/8 years,tried others,always gone back to 7x's.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

3/32 chains for geared bikes are bushless chains and they wear quicker.
    You can get 3/32 track chains which are the bushed type. These are (possibly) smoother and deffo stronger, and they also work fine with all tensioners, and are lighter than 1/8.

Edit: Like this one: clicky

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘3/32 or 1/18’ is closed to new replies.