Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 32mm internal rims – gorilla tape tubeless?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anyone using gorilla 25.4mm tape for anything around 32mm internal width for tubeless?

ive used it before but only on 27mm internal rims, assume it will still be ok?

richardthird

Use the 1″ on my i45s so you’ll be alright. Just make sure all the holes are covered!

vmgscot

I buy the 2 inch tape and cut to width required. If you snip the width at one end of the tape it rips along its length accurately without deviation so easy to get a length the correct width you need.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Ah great, guessing its not too close to the rim edges (the tape and just over the holes) then it should make tyre fitting a little easier too

scotroutes

WTB recommend that the rim tape should be slughtly wider than the rim.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hmmm not sure why it needs to be so wide? it only covers the spoke holes surely? unless I’m missing something

sillyoldman

Depends on rim profile. I find that the bead seat area on WTB rims is a tight fit anyway, and the bead lock ridge retains the bead well. Wall to wall tape on them makes the tyre too tight a fit in my experience, and it works better with just the drilling’s covered. The well is deep enough that the tape isn’t disturbed when removing tyres.
    On other brands like DT I find the wall to wall approach works better. DT recommend tape 2mm wider than the internal rim width. Wall to wall creates a better fir, and prevents the tape being unseated when removing tyres.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cool ill probs just try the 1inch first, as tyres are tight fitting so if theres no tape up to the edges it should make fitting slightly easier if nothing else….

ive never had a issue on the 25mm gorilla tape on 27mm internal but just wanted check

its easy enough put another strip of the gorilla tape on (and it costs next to nothing anyways) even if I have to do it when changing a tyre

cyclelife
    Free Member

I use the 25mm on my Hope 35w’s no problem as said earlier only need to cover spoke holes if you’re using tubeless rims n tyres.

scotroutes

Yeah. It’s not like the rim, tyre and tape manufactures know anything about setting up tubeless systems.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Conversely I used the inch wide stuff on 21mm internal rims right up onto the bead seat and then trimmed it back with a craft knife, tyres are proper snug.

Painey
    Free Member

It’ll be fine. I’ve used gorilla tape on a few rims now and as long as the holes are covered that’s all that matters. Provided it’s fitted fairly tightly and no air holes are in, plus you get a decent overlap at the valve.

submarined
    Free Member

Absolutely no issues on my ARC30s.

lornholio
    Free Member

Buy the 2 inch Gorilla Tape and cut the whole roll to whatever with you want if you’re worried about it.

The last time I retaped my old 25mm rims the Gorilla Tape wouldn’t stick so I used one layer of 19mm electrical tape and one layer of 19mm Gorilla Tape; worked fine. On new 30mm rims I used two layers of clear Gorilla Tape full width of the rim bed which was about 20g per rim vs. normal Gorilla Tape about 25-30g for a single layer, and should peel off cleaner than the normal stuff when needed.

chakaping
    Free Member

On new 30mm rims I used two layers of clear Gorilla Tape full width of the rim bed

The clear repair tape?

lornholio
    Free Member

The clear repair tape?

Yep.

chakaping
    Free Member

Interesting thanks, wish I’d thought to try that on my 35mm rims.

sillyoldman

Clear tape works really well, and is good for tighter rim/tyre combos as it’s thinner than the standard Gorilla tape, so doesn’t bump up the effective bead seat diameter as much.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘32mm internal rims – gorilla tape tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.