Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 32" flat goggle box – help needed…
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

So I'm thinking about getting a new telly. Don't want to go larger than 32".

It looks like LCD is the wya to go but now I can't decide which one to get? It seems to come down to either Samsung, Sony, LG or Toshiba. But then there are bloomin' loads of different models!….. A lot of them around 300 to 400 spondoolies, seems not too bad?

Basically, I know nowt about them, don't have a clue what to get, don't know where to start. Any help is apprecatted.

We want it for the kids wii, watching dvd's and of course to watch sport and all other nonsense on the telly channels…..

Cheers

4ndyB
    Free Member

Panasonic Viera?

Have a look on AV forums.com for more info/reviews on LCD telly's

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

we ended up buying a samsung after checking out avforums a few times, apparently samsung are rare in making all their components in house.

We got a Samsung LE32B450 from ebuyer for £330, after reading several reviews on avforum and elsewhere saying it was the best LCD in the £400 bracket. Not an expert as its our first one but very pleased with it. Its not a 1040 screen but from what Ive gathered on a "small" screen (less than 40inch) you wont notice anyway.

Samsung, Sony and Panasonic seem the most highly regarded makes.

steveh

I've got a Toshiba. From what I read most of the known brands are pretty much for muchness so I bought on the best deal I could find. If you have one near you richer sounds are worth a look and their 5 year extended warranty is, for once, really worth having.

duntmatter
    Free Member
    mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My mum has a Samsung and I have a Panasonic.

Comparing the two, I would never, ever have a Samsung. No idea if it is the set-up or simply the picture quality, but the Viera is infinitely better in my anecdotal experience (both 1080p 37'').

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I was looking at theat one munge-chick, it's very tempting. I shall have a look at the avformu too – thanks.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

zeds, every second thread on AVforum is "what XXinch LCD should I buy?" and the samsung kept coming up in the sub 40inch/400 quid bracket as one of the most highly regarded.

Apparently Sony need a lot of adjustment to get the best out of them, there are sticky threads on AV where people have posted picture settings that have vastly improved the picture over the stock. I havent tinkered with mine yet (ir probably needs a tweek to the brightness/contrast but theres so many options I havent gone there yet).

As steveh says though, other factors like warranty, local supply etc might end up making your decision. After months of procrastinating I bought the samsung after getting a junk email saying it was reduced, if I'd gone to a Richer Sounds or John Lewis extended warranties might have influenced my choice.

And when I said 1040 I obviously meant 1080…

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I've been tempted by a new TV as well but the picture quality is shocking compared to my old Sanyo CRT. I was watching a 60inch thing fed with a Sky HD signal the other day. It was big, fair enough but for the thick end of £3k it was seriously rubbish. Infact it gave me a headache within a few minutes of starting to watch it. The smaller screens are even worse, blurry, pixelated and terrible on anything that is moving. They are fantastic with compuer games though and blueray DVD's look good – the movement issue still applies though.
    Thats just my opinion of course – i seriously hope my old TV keeps going till the technology has improved somewhat.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘32" flat goggle box – help needed…’ is closed to new replies.