Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 317 or 719 or something else?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I can't decide what rims to get. The average ride would take me over average sized roots and small rock gardens and maybe some bigger stuff about once a month or something if I go 'all mountain'. I don't do big jumps and I'm not very heavy (12 stone).

I would prefer the lighter 317 but should I go for the stronger 719?

I'm thinking maybe the 317 on the front and the 719 on the back?

It's a full suspension bike by the way. Has anyone had much experience with these rims or other rims. A friend of mine said they would just brake for anything other than xc. I have alex dp17's at the moment and haven't broken them yet. Thanks.

MrNutt
    Free Member

why not go for the 819's? do you like punctures?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Go on then, I'll say it first. Stans. I like the flow. Light(ish) and wide. Gives a lovely profile to the tyre and makes things feels more stable in hard corners.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Do I like punctures? I'm not going to even answer that question. I've looked at going tubeless but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. I don't get punctures much and they're not exactly difficult to fix.

MrNutt
    Free Member

proper UST rims and tyres with stans is no faff, you can put them on with a track pump without breaking a sweat, run tyres at lower pressures, get better grip and its pretty much no more punctures. And if you don't normally get punctures you may be able to get away with some lightweight UST tyres.

spacemonkey

A properly built 317 on the front will last years with a bit of TLC. Could get 4-5 years or more out of the same on the rear, but as soon as you start hitting heavier stuff you might need to true it now and then.

719's should be the same if a little tougher – but perhaps not a necessity given your weight and riding style IMO.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘317 or 719 or something else?’ is closed to new replies.