• This topic has 56 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • 31 yr old with half decent bike, living next to the Peaks needing motivation!
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

New tyres, cassette, rings, pedals and rear mech ordered.

This will all help, won’t it? :-S

docrobster
    Free Member

I live on the edge of Sheffield (Fulwood) and it’s about a mile in a straight line from my house to Lady Canning’s Plantation / Ringinglow road.

Snap! (crimicar lane)
    What are you up to on Sunday morning?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Docrobster- woo! Just round the corner from me!

I might indeed be free Sunday morning (let me check with the wife), however I’ve literally not done any exercise for months so I wouldn’t blame you if you dont fancy enduring my snail pace!

Pook

you don’t need fitness to ride with us, just a sense of humour and haribo!

out most Tuesdays, (including tomorrow), you’re more than welcome to join us.

new emails go to junk which I don’t get on my phone though, so please don’t think I’m ignoring you

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Thanks Pook, I’m currently waiting for some bits to be delivered before I can ride Tracey (I cleaned her off yesterday and realised she’s in a bad way!)

I shall no doubt be hassling you both soon! 🙂

docrobster
    Free Member

No worries. You’ve 11 years on me so I suspect your unfit will be my peak condition!

timnwild

Mate – we just spent months planning, and several hundred quid executing, a weekend-long trip to the Peaks from all over the UK – London, Brighton, Worthing, Southampton etc, plus a couple of local pals. Despite having the South Downs on the doorstep, families to spend time with, credit cards we should be paying off etc, we drove up to the Peaks just to ride – Ladybower first day, then White Peak stuff around Hope the next – and had an absolute blast.

An odd but satisfying side-effect was that when we were sitting in the pub planning the next one, us SOuth Coast folks realised that we had plenty of stuff that our Peaks mates would probably love, so they’re coming to us next time.

Maybe you could get your mojo back by showing someone else the trails you used to ride, and see if the magic comes back? Seeing it through someone else’s eyes can make all the difference.

Good luck anyway – if you decide you don’t want the Peaks, we’ll have em…;-)

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I know I’m very lucky to have such decent riding on my doorstep , I just need to get out there and remind myself how fun it is!

I was actually thinking of organising a forum free for all Peaks ride/camping weekend if there was enough interest , this summer..

Docrobster – I’m a great fan of beer lovely beer and also Paprika’s round the corner so currently am carrying excess baggage as well as zero fitness! I don’t think I’m doing anything on Sunday but am awaiting bike bits so will let you know ASAP , thanks!

davetrave
    Free Member

If you can’t get away from work in time to make it over to Hope for the 18Bikes shop ride, there’s always The Biketree on Abbeydale Road, Wed and Sat at 7pm, have a look on Facebook…

flyingmonkeycorps

Just to throw in – we ride the Dark Peak quite a lot, and you’d always be welcome to tag along. Pace is social (ie the fast lads wait at the top / bottom, if there are any) and we’re generally a good laugh. Not sure when the next trip is, but email is in profile 🙂

simonm
    Free Member

FFS Dan just bloody ride and stop pontificating. I wish I had the free time you have to ride, and yet I still find time to ride 100 miles a month.
    Your in a fantastic location to just ride out of your door on your own at night, morning, even weekends ! Rivelin, Houndkirk.. and now the Peak.

Pick yerself up and ride before you have kids and you have fek all time 😉

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Hey, Dan, MGO has just read this thread and said he’ll swap locations and bikes with you for a week to see if that motivates you – he’s on a fixie road bike in Norwich – count your blessings, mate.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

So, I finally managed to get a couple of hours free this afternoon and so dragged mysel out for only the 3rd time this year. It hurt – only 12 miles but at least 1800 ft of climbing (according to somewhat temperamental Endomondo anyway).

So what have we learned? We have learned thus:

My legs still can indeed go round in that circular motion

My jacket no longer could be described as having any properties pertaining to any degree of water resistance.

1/2 inch hail stones hurt

There’s now only 2 half decent descents on my local loops since the peak authority flattened houndkirk 🙁

Tracey got in the air a couple of times and we both enjoyed it!

Crumpets taste 3214% better after a ride. FACT

Docrobster, Pook et al – I shall be in touch at some point about tagging along on a ride!

simonm
    Free Member

yey, there you go Dan your out 😉

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Indeed I am Si! It’s just such a shame so much has been flattened out there! I don’t suppose you have any plots of your local loops I could rob?!

james
    Free Member

I dunno, houndkirk is still sort of okay if you stick to the right and go between the boulders?
    Okay so not really, its nothing on what it once was. At least Jumble Road (below Xroads) is still untouched, for now?

Pook

and remaining so. After the outcry over houndkirk Sheffield council have decided to take a ‘more sensitive’ approach.

look up the ride Sheffield site for more info

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘31 yr old with half decent bike, living next to the Peaks needing motivation!’ is closed to new replies.