• This topic has 56 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • 31 yr old with half decent bike, living next to the Peaks needing motivation!
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hi

So, I need motivating.

I’ve a reasonably decent bike so no excuse on that front, live one mile from the edge of the Peak District National Park yet have ridden twice this year.

I’m not sure what it is but recently learning to drive means that every weekend seems to be taken up with visiting family and friends and when I’m not doing that work seems to get in the way.

I’m also supposed to be organising a trip to Scotland in the summer so really do need to get on Tracey (bike) asap.

So, remind me what’s so good about riding and inspire me!

Gratuitous pictures of rider’s bikes and flagrant showing off of filming skills very much allowed!

thanks

888trojan888
    Free Member

Simples – mountain biking is good for your soul. You also live next to mountain biking mecca………….whats the alternative…….soaps in the evening???? 😀

velomanic
    Free Member

Tracey needs you, she’s alone and feeling neglected.

All she wants is for you to enjoy yourself, put a smile on your face and see you making the most of the fun and freedom she can give you.

Remember the good times you’ve had together, there are many more to be had and it just keeps on getting better.

She can take you to places you’ve never been and give you experiences that will stay with you for life.

The hardest part is putting your gear on and walking out the door but when you’re out there the rewards are endless and the more you do the more you’ll want to do.

Forget the car, it’s just a tin box that wants your money.

You two get out there and ride!

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Poor, sad, lonely, neglected Tracey!
    I reckon some of your old biking buddies may still be out there – in fact I did bump into one of them up near Ladybower a couple of weeks ago – along with his trail hound.

beefy

Because riding bikes is what makes us cool.

Anyway, when you say one mile from the Peaks, where exactly?

martymac

as velomanic says, the hardest part is getting your kit on and out the door.
    i understand how you feel though, cos im the same.

zippykona

Buy a new bit and ride some new trails,drink beer afterwards.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Lady_Gresley, I’m confused by STW names but I assume you’re someoneone I know/have ridden with? Who was it you bumped into, Mr Dave?

Beefy, I live on the edge of Sheffield (Fulwood) and it’s about a mile in a straight line from my house to Lady Canning’s Plantation / Ringinglow road.

I do seem to have a distinct lack of riding buddies at the moment and I do find it really hard to motivate myself to go out alone..

BadlyWiredDog

Maybe you’re just not really a mountain biker…

Jamie
    Free Member

Maybe you’re just not really a mountain biker…

+1

You live next to Peaks, yet have been out 2x in a year. I think it’s just time to accept it’s not for you.

Schweiz
    Free Member

A quick edit of last weekend. Rider, editor and switchback-master is another member on here….

[video]http://vimeo.com/40112962[/video]

Pook

Peaks you say?

[video]http://vimeo.com/24648738[/video]

There’s a few of us go out from Crookes regular like.

🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’ve never genuinely really understood ‘I need motivation’ threads, runnersworld.co.uk abounds with them. I tend to need motivation to do things I don’t really want to do. Given the generally optional nature of mucking about on bikes, if you don’t want to do it, don’t do it. If you do, do.
    Simple 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

To put it into context, I live 100miles away, and have been biking in the peaks more than the OP 😉

I’ve never genuinely really understood ‘I need motivation’ threads, runnersworld.co.uk abounds with them. I tend to need motivation to do things I don’t really want to do. Given the generally optional nature of mucking about on bikes, if you don’t want to do it, don’t do it. If you do, do.

Indeed. I am not running at the moment, due to docs orders, and it’s driving me up the friggin’ wall as I cannot do something I enjoy. If I didn’t enjoy it, I wouldn’t do it and just accept it’s not for me.

BadlyWiredDog

Crochet is nice at this time of year. I can sit in my conservatory and watch birds feeding in the garden. A nice space heater will help keep you warm and I find a packet of Rich Tea biscuits and a cup of Earl Grey invaluable. Once conditions improve, in the summer for example, I often venture into the garden and sketch still lifes of flowers, plants and the odd dead animal. Very calming.

Alternatively if I’m feeling more active, I opt for a game of croquet with my neighbour, Mrs Carruthers. She’s a game old bird and the play can be surprisingly energetic. Since I discovered these more civilised pursuits, my mountain bicycle has been untouched.

You might want to give these alternatives a try. I find that they give me much the same buzz as mountain biking, but without needing to ride my bike.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

change bikes name from Tracey to Holly Willoughby…may encourage you to throw a leg over more often 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

toxicsoks
    Free Member

GET ON THAT ****’ BIKE AND RAG THE AR5E OFF IT YOU LAZY, FAT, UNGRATEFUL BOY!
    That’s advice from the gentry, that is. 😉

muckytee
    Free Member

Go out, (forget the car) Sprint into a techy rock section, lose the back end on a flat turn and catch some air somewhere. Then if doing the above doesn’t put a smile on your face, maybe it’s time to sell your bike 😉

You have to isolate what you love about MTB and what you hate.

For me I love almost losing it in techy sections, and on turns, those “oh shit” moments when the bikes goes off the line but you manage to ride through it. I hated scrubbing kak of my rear sprockets after every couple of rides, and could never be bothered to change gear. So now I ride more twisty techy stuff on a singlespeed.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I live in Brighton, we’re moving to Sheffield next year. I cannot wait to have big, gritty swoopy national park trails to razz about on. I also don’t drive yet so find myself confined to that which is pedalling distance away.

You live near the Peak AND drive you lucky so and so. Suck it up and get out there!

I had a great session with a friend last night on a short section with some little doubles and berms. It was great to work on something and improve, with the first use of Kona Wah Wahs being very rewarding. It’s great to get away from the daily meh, see the season coming in and ride amongst the first bluebells. The trails here are most but still fairly solid and it’s perfect temperature wise for getting sweaty but not sticky.

GET ON YOUR FLIPPIN’ BIKE OR YOU’LL MISS OUT! :mrgreen:

Popocatapetl

Lolz at BWD! 😀 Your such a card 😀 (or should that be CAD!)

18bikes

come for a ride with us on a tues evening? train/drive out to meet at the shop 1730ish most weeks (well, when there’s enough interested!)

Si

thepodge
    Free Member

Some people like riding more than others. If you want to ride you’ll ride, if you want to visit friends you’ll visit friends. It doesn’t matter how much you do one or the other

jambalaya
    Free Member

Why don’t you try some different sorts of riding to ease yourself back into it, trail centres or something a bit more straightforward than the Peaks ?

thepodge
    Free Member

I couldn’t face a full ride today so just went out in jeans and hoodie to the bmx track. Mixing it up is a good idea.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Thanks for the mixed motivation chaps!

The videos have indeed inspired me as have the ” maybe you’re not a real mountain biker” comments!

I’ve just nipped out and bought a lovely sticky DHF and a nice round middleburn ring. I think tomorrow I’ll drag Tracey out and scrape the mud off her.

To be honest it’s all a bit weird this lack of motivation. I absolutely love technical descents and in fact the last time I rode was scaring myself flipless on Wharncliffe’s DH tracks. It seems that as I’ve not been able to run over the last 2 months (due to foot injury that won’t go away) this lack of exercise has turned me into a phat, lethargic slug.

Si, thanks – I may indeed see if I can get out to meet you guys for a ride sometime. It rather depends on whether I can leave work early enough to get there for 5.30.

Pook – once I’ve regained some vague fitness I might tag along if I may?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Schweize – where was that video taken?

Rider on a carbine? . makes me want one even more

chiefgrooveguru

It isn’t dark yet. Leave the mud where it is, get on your bike and go and play on it for half an hour. Don’t ride anywhere, just act the goat in your locale – trackstands, wheelies, manuals, hops, etc.

18bikes

5.30/6/whatever – we can hang around a bit if we know you’re coming. keep an eye on our Facebook page, that’s where I post about it – hereh

Crell
    Free Member

Schweiz – nice vid. How’s that Garmin mounted on the top tube? Certainly seems stuck fast.

Klunk
    Free Member

don’t worry about it, ride, don’t ride it’s not the end of the world.

shifter
    Free Member

Pull yourself together Reigny – you’re a lucky git living that close to Ladybower! Takes me hour and a half just to drive there 🙁

ir12daveor
    Free Member

To be honest it’s all a bit weird this lack of motivation. I absolutely love technical descents and in fact the last time I rode was scaring myself flipless on Wharncliffe’s DH tracks. It seems that as I’ve not been able to run over the last 2 months (due to foot injury that won’t go away) this lack of exercise has turned me into a phat, lethargic slug.

I have it on good authority that the rider on the Carbine in the video above also feels that his lack of exercise over winter turned him into a “phat lethargic slug”. Riding trails makes him grin like a loon for hours on end.

Don’t ask Schweiz how to attach Garmins to top tubes. Apparently his went flying somewhere on that trail. Zip ties are you’re only man. Not pretty, but functional.

Schweiz
    Free Member

The video is from a trail in the Rhone valley in the French speaking part of Switzerland. It’s a great springtime trail since it has a real alpine feel to it but at a relatively low altitude.

The rider in the film is on a carbine which he rates very highly (but he is a fully subscribed Intense fanboy so it’s hard to know if he should be believed or not)

The Garmin is a 705 with the mount zip tied to the top tube. I have the 800 mounted in the same position but I have to say that the 705 mount is much more solid (although less convenient)

wallop

How about giving your bike a different name, so it doesn’t feel like you are mounting a character from Birds of a Feather?

Pook

rrr – anytime. email in profile

kaesae
    Free Member

What kind of diet do you have, sometimes the wrong food leaves you without enough energy, as for family at the weekend 😯

No wonder you’re miserable 😀

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hmmm I suppose I could rename Tracey but what else suits a Tracer?!

Diet, yes definite room for improvement – probably not enough green things of late.

Pook – thanks, I’ll be in touch when I’ve got the bike sorted and have developed a modicum of fitness!

ahwiles
    Free Member

R-R-R,

how long have you lived in Sheffield?

need to see some new trails?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

ahwiles, I’ve lived in Sheffield since 2003 but having relied on lifts from mates until very recently, so haven’t really explored as much as I should!

New trails would be good, where are you thinking of?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘31 yr old with half decent bike, living next to the Peaks needing motivation!’ is closed to new replies.