Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 30t round or 32t oval?
  • ads678

Thinking of changing my 34t n/w for a 30t to aid climbing on my commencal Meta AM, but then thought about ovals.

Would a 32t oval be equivalent to a 30t round or would I not notice as much difference from the 34t I currently have?????:

whitestone
    Free Member

A 32T oval is equivalent to a 32T round, doh! The smaller side of a 32T is about the same effort as a 30T and the larger side about the same effort as a 34T.

Onzadog
    Free Member

There’s an easy part and a hard part to your question.

Easy part first. Get the oval. I’m an evangelical convert after switching to absolute black.

The hard part? What size to get. Think of it as being roughly nominal plus two minus two. Also, consider chain stay clearance. 32 oval will certainly climb noticeably easier than your 34 and shouldn’t lose anything spinning out.

ads678

Cool, I realise that 32 is 32, but just wondered about how much difference I would feel over the current 34.
    With the oval have an easy/hard part of the stroke would there be as much difference as a drop from 34 to 30.

I don’t really know how to explain what i’m thinking but onza has kind of given me the answer I wanted!!

deano8
    Free Member

Came from a 34 and went for 30 oval.
    So far I don’t regret it. Climbing is far easier and I’m able to keep up with mates uphill on their bikes that came with 30 tooth round rings.
    If it’s only used for off road you should be fine. I spin out at 26 mph on a flat road although it’s rare for me to be on road.

ads678

Ta, just ordered a works components 32t oval.

I’m not expecting it to turn me into a climbing God but any help will be good.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘30t round or 32t oval?’ is closed to new replies.