• This topic has 34 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by tang.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • 30 years on the trail – a day off and a pile of memories.
  • tang
    Free Member

Yesterday I had a rare day off and being 40 and a bit nostalgic decided to visit my childhood home and ride the trials where it all started.
    In 1984 after my folks divorced my Dad and I loaded the VW split screen, hit the road and moved from Cambridge and the Fens to the Cotswolds via Lake Como(my first sight of TDF and riding down big hills).
    After a few cold months sleeping next to his kilns(he is a potter) he finally bought a new place. I say new, it was actually a wooden shack constructed by Gypsies in the ’20s, home to the ‘Gypsie boy’ in Laurie Lee’s Cider with Rosie. Other occupants included Ernest Slype, Gloucester’s last old pawn broker and a man who collected showman wagons.
    Not much of it remains now as its largely rotted away due to poor upkeep, Dad painted the yellow boards and red tin roof regularly. Still standing is his workshop that he built which seems inhabited by hippies who do things with wood I am pleased to report.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/vP7MCA]Untitled[/url] by tangwyn, on Flickr
    Still full of freaks
    Anyway, its here my blue Raleigh Burner found a new lease of life far from the flat parks and river banks of Cambridge. We now lived up a 1km dirt track in the woods with the remains of a hill fort behind mown by a golf club, the Cotswold way and Cranham woods stuffed full of singletrack, gifts to a child in a turbulent family that gave adventure, solace and freedom in abundance.

Painswick beacon just behind our old place
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/w66wQ9] [/url] by tangwyn, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/w6JyTB] [/url] by tangwyn, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/w66phd] [/url] by tangwyn, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/v9SkQz] [/url] by tangwyn, on Flickr

30 years on and having lived in far off places and cities I am back in the Cotswolds with a family of my own and still riding the trail, still finding adventure, solace and a bit of freedom. Thanks Dad.

Caher

Nice post – thanks

oldnpastit

*like*

kristoff
    Free Member

Lovely post *like*

bikeneil
    Free Member

One of the best posts on here for a long while. Hooray for great dads!

wrecker
    Free Member

Proper job.

ctk
    Free Member

Brought a smile, ta.

bikebouy
    Free Member

That Sir is a truly great story.
    Revival, fun, torment, memories, bikes, damp, friends, parents, mud, sweat, tears.

Good onya.

How many likes can one thread have?

Have another.

Stoner
    Free Member

nice one tangwyn, good tale.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

This has inspired me to go back to the village where I grew up and see if the trails through the woods are still there.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

warm glow.

jimmy

Yeah nice one. I did similar a couple of years back, tho family still there I don’t get to ride when back ‘home’ because of visiting folk. I will do it for my 40th now guaranteed. Thanks.

Kunstler

Great post and it resonates with me – reminds of how that landscape impacted on me as a kid too. I grew up in north Norfolk and my father’s family were all from the same place and satyed in the same place – typically for Norfolk never straying far. Except for one of his five brothers who moved to Gloucestershire (Upton St Leonards). We never had much in the way of holidays apart from visiting the family down there and on the long car journey there I always started to get excited when the landscape became more hilly – making me think of being out with my cousins in the woods around the village and up by Prinknash Abbey. We used to go on day trips from there to Symmond’s Yat too. That attraction of the hills stayed with me and I can still recognise that as a pathway that led me to moving to Scotland. And though there’s no hills, when I go back to Norfolk I still take the bike to play in the woods back there.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

When I was a kid we had some woods at the end of our road. They were massive and on a steep gradient so it was great fun pushing our grifters and bmx’s to the top and bombing back down. I had forgotten about them until I started mountain biking as an adult.

Returned a couple of years back to find they were flattened and were now a massive housing estate. 🙁

pictonroad

Like this a lot. In fact, I’m it’s formed an idea.

Great post, thanks.

qwerty
    Free Member

Hi T, Nice. I think it may have been you who stealthily crept up behind my son & I in Houndscroft Woods on Wednesday nite? You were riding with a mate, we were riding our way to Black8 for their evening ride. The penny didn’t drop until later when I saw a Felt rider return over Rodbourgh way. M

tang
    Free Member

Hi Q, no not me! Could have been Scott Chalmers? He rides the same frame and is sponsored by saddleback too. He has the same frame and long hair! Plus his folks live in Rodborough.
    Thinking a bit more on this; I realise that the trail itself holds no emotional baggage, I’ve ridden these trails hundreds of times over many years in all sorts of headspaces, and yet I’m not reminded of that when commited to a good ride. The trails are benign and the experience is lodged in the present. Thankfully so I’d say.

qwerty
    Free Member

T – yea sounds like it, the view of his calfs from the back was very “race ready” and his stance on the bike was very “XC racer”!!!

The trails are benign and the experience is lodged in the present.

Yea, i agree, thats why the therapy works.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Nice. Did you hit that sweet tombstone jump?

stumpy01

The internet needs more posts like this!

Nice one….

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

<like>

peter1979
    Free Member

Enjoyed reading this. Thanks.

funkrodent

<Like>

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Nice post, thanks for sharing tang.

toppers3933
    Free Member

What a lovely post. Thanks.

matt_outandabout

Good stuff.

I thank my parents for moving to the edge of the Lakes when I was end of Primary school – again, the hills, the freedom, the opportunity to sail, climb, paddle etc at a great school. And the ‘forcing’ of me to cycle from Eden Valley to Ullswater for a job for a couple of summer seasons a) got me fit and b) meant one lazy day I thought I would ride the back of Ullswater and over to Askham – on a Peugeot road bike! Oh the fun…

5thElefant
    Free Member

That’s where I grew up, nearly a decade earlier. Juniper was our favourite bike haunt. My most vivid memories of cranham woods are from underground…

Alex

Good read 🙂

jamj1974

Brilliant post OP. One of the best recently. Thank you for sharing.

belugabob
    Free Member

Nice – but I had to read that several times before I could convince myself that a 10 year old hadn’t driven off in a VW. (Eyesight deterioration is one of the crap bits of getting older)

qwerty
    Free Member

My most vivid memories of cranham woods are from underground…

I see the recent felling work has unearthed some slab chambers beneath the forest floor, what were these ❓

5thElefant
    Free Member

They were limestone mines I believe. The chambers are just the holes left behind. There are miles of tunnels.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Was this sponsored by Enve?!? 😯

tang
    Free Member

Those chambers are insanely big! I’m sponsored Saddleback and specifically ENVE, King hubs, Felt and Castelli.

tang
    Free Member

I found a pic of our old house. The main bit in the middle was gypsy built and the rest added when Dad thought we needed a bit of space. His workshop is off to the left and is almost the same size. Also out of shot is our old showman wagon which family tradition dictated you got to live in it from 16 to 18. If there was a gap then it would be rented out to ‘interesting’ people; artists, writers, astrologers and all sorts of strange people from the fringes.
    The address was; Emerald Hollow, Badgers lane, nr Paradise!
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/vY1RXM]Emerald Hollow[/url] by tangwyn, on Flickr

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘30 years on the trail – a day off and a pile of memories.’ is closed to new replies.