• This topic has 68 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jimmy.
Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • 30 years of mountain biking
  • GDRS

Blew my Student Grant in the autumn of 1991 – Cannondale M500 (which is now being ridden by on old mate of mine as a pub bike).

The purple……oh the purple……

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Only 18 years for me,back in 1998 I gave one of my mates £50 for some Halfords wonder.Funny how things turn out,I only bought it as a means of keeping fit,as a result of mountain bikes I’ve made a lot of new friends over the years.
    Here’s to many more years on them! 😀

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Here a pic of you racing Grant from 1990 at stibby quarry you have some nice Axo kit on

patcouser
    Free Member

about 28 or 29 years for me — 1987 or 88 on a “proper” MTB – Raleigh Maveric (age 21). But had been offroad on any bike I could get my hands on since about age 6. Pic from Eastway circa 1989

BFITH
    Free Member

30 years heere too! Brother bought a Giant super Sierra off a mate and hardly ever used it…. My first foray into MTB (other than dodgy ‘scrambler’ made from road bike with massive handlebars). Havent looked back since.

allan23
    Free Member

18 years, started a job where the team building was mountain biking.

Bought a GT Tequesta and loved it, heavy steel frame but brilliant to ride, upgraded to a Zaskar a year later, still have the Zaskar.

monkeyboyjc

1991 – so 25yrs now….

shortcut

Its 25 years for me. How time flies. 1990 Stumpjumper for me.

jonathan
    Free Member

It’ll be 30 years this Christmas for me. Got very vivid memories of the 14 year old me slithering my Ridgeback S up and down the South Downs on Boxing Day 🙂

warns74
    Free Member

29 years since I saved up for my first bike.

pictonroad

whereabouts on the South Coast? I occasionally see a dashing looking chap scooting along the front on an exquisite Klein.

monkeyboyjc

Warns74 – Raleigh Lizard?

NormalMan

I was thinking Raleigh Montage when I saw the picture.

mildbore

Yeah the Lizard was greener than that…god aren’t we sad?

Northwind

I was going to say Ascender but I think maybe the Ascender was more qualcast green

mtmf
    Free Member

32 years. Nishiki Bushwhacker. I can claim first tracks in and around Edinburgh – Pentland Hills, etc. (I remember taking the bike to the Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative, and the guys all coming out to see it. One of them actually said “They’ll never catch on, you know”! Still chuckle about that one now and again!
    I know that my tracks were also first in the Forest of Dean, where I was living at the time!
    Anyway, enough! Got to get out for a ride! Kona Explosif…

NormalMan

@ mildbore
    It’s really sad hey!

I’ve still got my 1990 Fisher set up as a singlespeed (although it needs new headset bearings plus it’s a tad small now) and the frame and forks of my Raleigh Maverick from 1986 (I think it was an ’85 model).

Neither of these count as actual bikes when people ask me how many bikes I have as they aren’t currently ready to ride 😉 )

warns74
    Free Member

Normal Man wins….it was indeed a montage!

Northwind

Even rocky had a montage

Aristotle
    Free Member

1989 for my sparkly red/black Raleigh Mustang SIS, aged 12, but I had been riding off-road on a Raleigh Grifter, a Raleigh Strika and a Raleigh Small Rider before that.

…There were a lot of Raleigh bikes in my family.

ps. Apparently, the weight of a typical Grifter was 35lbs

Sandwich

21 or 22 years for me. First bike (an Orange C16-R) was funded with a bonus and purchased from Madgetts in Diss. It was a bit small but it’s in the garage with a more road-inspired set of gear ratios on it.

GavinT
    Free Member

Hey Grant!
    24 years for Me I reckon. Well, there were a couple of years before that on a Raleigh Mirage before the bug really built. Still got my first proper bike (my ’92 Eldridge Grade). Here it is next to the latest addition…

GavinT
    Free Member
    totalshell

started riding off road late 70s on what we then called ‘trackers’ we d hang round the local skip and make bikes from the bikes dumped there then we d race them through the woods at ilkley.. fast forward to 88/89 and i went into leeds on the train aged 27 with a credit card armed and ready and bought a shogun from two wheels good and rode it home. ramped up to a orange fram/forks and orange stalk from stif when the still sold surf boards from a lock up garage.. self built the bike and rose yorkshire mtb rounds and the early nembas for two or three years.. then my heart blew up.. orange 5 in the garage with that first clockwork.. old skool.. nah the only school.

tom200

’87 Raleigh mustang also.

mick_r

1989 for MTB here. Saracen Limited Edition – Exage Mountain groupset with bottom bracket U-brake. Also had a Raleigh Bomber for 6 years before that.

And prior to the Bomber I got my brother’s Vindec flat bar / singlespeed. That instantly lost the mudguards and gained bmx grips. The original white tyres that lasted him years were worn out in the space of a week by my newly discovered love of skids…..

spev

24 years here, Scott Peak in 92, upgraded to a new Specailized Rockhopper in 96, tried a Proflex 856 for a bit then swapped back and fore between a variety of fs and ht bikes up to the present day where I’ve just completed a summer mini dh series at 46

frankconway

Back in the late ’60’s (**** that’s a long time ago) my brother and I got our hands on a bike that had been dumped, stuffed the tyres with straw and then built a ‘ramp’ on some open ground near our parents.

Ramp was some bits of stone & broken bricks stacked up and a piece of wood as the ramp.

Even now i can feel the pain of crown jewels crashing into top tube as tyres didn’t work as intended and I discovered by bike handling skills were s**t.

And the ramp didn’t provide the hoped for elevation.

Other than that – it was great…………….

jimmy

I think 26 years next month for me, maybe 27. Got a Raleigh Lizard for my birthday – as OP, the only sport I’ve stuck at and it has been awesome.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘30 years of mountain biking’ is closed to new replies.