Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 3 speed single speed?
  • czthompson

I’ve recently aquired a 26inch wheelset with a nexus three speed hub.. Now wondering should I 3 speed the single speed? I like the singlespeed at the moment as it is zero fuss, fully rigid and reliable..

What do you reckon?

curlie467
    Free Member

I reckon its up to you!

singlespeedstu

Just ride it until it blows up.

mintimperial

Yeah, if you’ve got the kit, stick it on the bike and see what it’s like. Even if it’s rubbish you’ve still learnt something.

Duffer
    Free Member

I’ve long since fancied something similar. I’ve always favoured the Sturmey Archer though. No reason why I should, I just do!

mick_r

I rode for a bit with a Sturmey 3 speed (135 axle and disc mount) – it was quite good, just like riding singlespeed with a faster gear for road and a lower gear for really steep stuff.

Felt surprisingly efficient and direct (better than an Alfine 8 spd). Singlespeed gear 2 is direct drive but still get tick tick tick as you pedal. Think gear 1 was silent (internals of the Nexus are pretty similar).

Never used it in winter as no sealing whatsoever.

Basil

Had that on a Spech Centrum, was very good and survived with zero maitance whilst providing broader range of three speeds.

czthompson

Looks like it’s a go then.. I was primarily worried I’d spend ages setting it up to then have to maintain my bike more!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘3 speed single speed?’ is closed to new replies.