Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • 3 Series Touring efficient dynamics, will I get frustrated?
  • Kryton57

Anyone got one and can comment on its drive / performance vs M Sport?

I do consider myself M Sport vanity material, but the otherwise perfect car has been announced to me via my dealer.

I get that its got 16″ wheels (cheaper tyres, more cushioned ride), and a de-tuned 2.0D engine (161 va 187hp) and is minus the M Sport style kit, but whats the driving difference, its it going to be no fun at all? Are its senses dulled?

johndoh
    Free Member

Err, drive them both and decide which you like better?

#thinkingoutloud

Rockape63
    Free Member

Buy an Audi.

mrblobby
    Free Member

its it going to be no fun at all?

Is driving meant to be fun? 😕

retro83
    Free Member

Apparently the non-msport suspension is a bit pants.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

What does your life coach think?

Kryton57

What does your life coach think?

She suggested the real-life answers could be found on a forum full of experience, rather than in a sales show room.

bearnecessities

a forum full of experience

Mumsnet?

Admittedly it’s mainly experience of cleaning poop off the stairs and nob dunking.

camerone
    Free Member

I am just handing mine back to lease company after three years. Previous M Sport driver.
    The ED rides much better obviously, but its worth stressing it is alot comfier.
    Its not as flat cornering, but I actually think it was more fun on account of the fact that when pressing on the limits are more accessible. It also isnt deflected as much on bumps.
    That may not be your cup of tea, but I find cars with too much grip a little dull. Its balanced and has a very predictable chassis. The Traction Control is too eager but thats a button press away from resolution. Steering has no road feel but thats same on M sport.
    My experience was that it was not a poor relation (except looks…….)
    All the above comments only apply when in the safe confines of a private race track…….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You’ll need new sunglasses as well.

jambalaya
    Free Member

That may not be your cup of tea, but I find cars with too much grip a little dull

There is a lot of truth in this. I have pushed on to find limits in my car, by that stage you are going round a corner so fast if it does really let go it’s going to be a major issue. I have always said the original Minis where such great cars as they where fun to drive and very engaging without actually going very fast !

OP definitely my age showing but I too would favour less than the ultra low profile tyres and a bit more suspension give especially in a car you’d spend hours in. A relation has had a 135M for a year and he has found it very harsh and whilst he loves the acceleration he has said he would not get another similar car.

slowoldman

I actually think it was more fun on account of the fact that when pressing on the limits are more accessible

That sounds like marketing speak for “doesn’t corner as quickly”.

My first car was a Hillman Imp and it’s limits were immediately accessible.

camerone
    Free Member

It definitely doesn’t corner as quickly. But its still absolutely quick enough around corners…..

Kryton57

Thank camerone, your feedback is gratefully recieved.

Jambalaya my comments too are age related. I love my 120D tbh, but the 320d will afford that little bit more space, weight and therfore especially on the 16’s comfort, and camerone’s feedback lends itself to the long motorway journey’s I do for work, and the tiring returns from bike races. In a weird way not havinf the M Sport skirts etc might mean another 1cm above the forest floor in some of those car parks.

Camerone can I ask – does it indeed default to eco pro mode? Which in my 120d I find as dull as dishwater, yet sport mode is accessed via a push of the stick to the left (its an auto)?

Might be good to ditch runflats also, not that I’ve experience an issue with them just a cost perspective.

aP
    Free Member

Just get a Merc C220 estate instead.

mmannerr

Don’t know about default mode in ED but there is button for ED / comfort / sport mode selection under traction control button and gearbox has its own sport mode when you flick it to the left. When you want to drive faster you’ll have to press buttons like in a jet plane pilot in pre-flight check 😀

welshfarmer

Just get it remapped 🙂

My old style 320 (150 hp) had its’ little electronic brain manipulated to encourage several more horses to break free (nearer 190 now). Basically goes like stink and could really use better suspension to make the most of it. However, being a typical STW driver that is of no concern to me 😉

timc
    Free Member

Rockape63 – Member
    Buy an Audi.

He is trying to avoid the dulled senses, not guarantee them…

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I had a 320 ed and loved it.
    For acar that wassupposedly detuned it went very well. Suspension could get a little out of sorts if you hit a compression at speed, but generally it was well sorted with a distinctly unBMW ride quality. Still had that lovely rear wheel balance too and was fun on the back roads.

Maybe it didn’t look as good on its weedy 16″ wheels but that seemed insignificant when you were regularly getting high 50s mpg.

I had the business edition pack with full leather,sat nav,heated seats, etc which is worth getting.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

And yes it defaults to eco.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

will I get frustrated?

Yes.

You’ll get frustrated that you could have retired a year earlier had you not spent the money on a conventional and predictable crutch for your self-esteem 😆

Kryton57

I had the business edition pack with full leather,sat nav,heated seats, etc which is worth getting.

Yep, this is the same as what im looking at. Thanks for that. Ive noted i can fit Cross Climates too so its proper STW material. I think my last concern is swapping a 24k miles ‘ 13 pkate with a 35k miles one, but i guess its little consequence at 10k miles s year on that engine.

Oh, and its (metallic) white. .

prawny

I’ve got a 2012 320d ED. It’s my first BMW, after a string of Focuses Mondeos and an i30.

It’s much better to drive than anything I’ve had before, including an ST24. The detuned engine gives lower BHP but torque is apparently very similar (if not the same) it’s plenty fast enough.

I’m not sure if they’ve sorted the msport suspension out now, but a few years ago it was regarded as too stiff and it was a no cost option to have the regular suspension on the m sport models. I find mine ok, comfy and well damped but not wallowy, and it’s proper grippy, I’ve not managed to get it to understeer yet (only had it a couple of months) but it’s not tried to kill me either so I’m happy.

Also with general pottering about with the odd hard acceleration it’s doing 55mpg (calculated properly) compared the the 1.6tdci focus we had before that I got mid 40s from.

It’s a bloody great everyday car IMO.

Wish it had proper Bluetooth though, tight gits.

bearnecessities

Do they really still call it “business pack”?

Reminds me of:

camerone
    Free Member

yes defaults to eco, button to swap modes, or move stick left to get sport and/or change manually….
    throttle response is tragically relaxed in eco pro……

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Rockape63 – Member

Buy an Audi.

Seriously do not buy an Audi, unless it has a RS badge first. I have an A3 and the drive on it is crap compared to the 3 series I test drove a while back. Thinking of changing cars soon myself but have no idea what to get as the Mrs has just passed her test and I don’t really want to chuck her in a BMW with zero driving experience and I can’t justify the extra £’s for an x-drive at the moment.

ChrisA
    Free Member

I looked at both & got the 320d m sport touring. It defaults to Eco mode on start up & then switch it into sport mode. Heated seats are an extra on the m sport but everything else is standard stuff. Mines a 16 plate.

I drove the ED & it was ok but in honesty, it was total vanity for me, The m sport looks better & even though I’m doing a lot of miles, I don’t feel the need for more comfort, plus the small alloys aren’t my cup of tea!

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s no wetter than an equivalent non-efficient merc. I drove one at the weekend. It had a sport plus button, it went OK.
    Those narrow tyres are shit at braking though, and BMW media stuffs are shit compared to mercs and audis.

alibongo001

I have a 320d Msport from 2012 and have averaged about 50mpg over the last few years.

I have been very happy with that, the newer ones are better I think – seems to me to be a good combination of “go” if you want and economy too!

camerone
    Free Member

yes defaults to eco, button to swap modes, or move stick left to get sport and/or change manually….
    throttle response is tragically relaxed in eco pro……

benp1

24k miles ‘ 13 plate

Slightly OT, but aren’t you better off in a petrol at that mileage?

Although you do say you do motorway driving for work so perhaps the low mileage is evenly balanced with longer trips to clear out the DPF?

molgrips
    Free Member

will I get frustrated?

Given your posting history you probably will, yes 🙂

And if 161bhp is no fun at all, you need your funometer recalibrating.

legend
    Free Member

And if 161bhp is no fun at all, you need your funometer recalibrating.

He’ll have time to do that when he’s waiting in the queue to overtake

Kryton57

Slightly OT, but aren’t you better off in a petrol at that mileage?

All my trips are more than an hour on major roads, I don’t use the car in town, a lot are London>Dorset, London>Derby, London>Wales etc

Anyway I AM frustrated because the reason I was here is that Mrs K came home on Monday and said “I had a look at one of those, I liked it. Yes you should get one”.

However, last night she said, “I didn’t mean NOW…”

FFS.

maxtorque

Buy one that doesn’t have a sewing machine motor for an engine???? 😆

(hint, badge ends 35i or 35d)

(and don’t get a crappy F series one, as they get saddled with the hopeless Xdrive rubbish)

Gary_C

(hint, badge ends 35i or 35d)

Only the 35i will do, It’s much faster than the 35d…or is it the other way round?

Is higher horsepower better than greater torque?

Infact, Why do these dirty Diesels have to be so damn fast?

**Goes off to Pistonheads to see if that thread is still going**

😆

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘3 Series Touring efficient dynamics, will I get frustrated?’ is closed to new replies.