Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 3 season bivvy sleeping bag.
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

need a 3 season bag for a bivvy trip in a couple weeks – in scotland passing through the cairngorms.

Pack size more important than weight

synthetic preffered.

budget circa 100 quid.

any suggestions or do i need to save a bit longer 😉

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Alpkit mountain ghost worth a look @£90. That’s what I’m considering to replace my 30 yo ajungulak.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yeah seen them – anyone got one ?

it says 2 seasons…..-1 comfort

my ajungalik tundra rates its self as 3 seasons at +4 comfort…..im not sure id have faith in it on higher ground……but equally i dont want to be carrying a winter bag in september ill just use my sensible dont **** mess with the hills head if it looks shitty and retreat to lower ground.

matt_outandabout

We have one of these – in 600 and 400 flavour. I was surprised how warm the 400 was, pretty good for a ‘cheap’ bag – certainly up there with the ME Starlights the outdoor centre had, and better than the old Vangos the same centre had.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-ultralite-900-sleeping-bag-p196173

trail_rat
    Free Member

that looks promising matt – will go into town over the weekend i think for a gander.

rene59
    Free Member

Have a look at the Snugpak Softie range. Either the Softie 6 Kestrel or 9 Hawk.

And also the Mountain Hardwear Lamina 20 or 35.

All of these can be found for just below the £100 mark.

CraigW
    Free Member

Mountain Equipment Starlight II or III are pretty good. Though fairly bulky. You could probably get them for a bit less than £100.

thenorthwind

While you’re in Go Outdoors have a look at the Hi Gear bags. Last year, when Alpkit when Alpkit had no indication when they were going to have down bags again, I bought one very similar to this til I could get a down one. At the time, I couldn’t find anything comparable on paper (size/weight/temp ratings), even paying twice the price. Quality seems good after a year or so. I’m not inclined to buy down bag now, which says a lot.

trail_rat
    Free Member

oddly enough thenorthwind my winter bag is a hi gear. -20 comfort.

Its bivvied/bothied out in all sorts through the winter without ever leaving me in doubt as to its abilities – ive had it for nigh on 10 years….

trail_rat
    Free Member

Any thoughts on the snugpak travelpak 3

Went to town on saturday – tried a few shops, it seems the mid range of 3 seasons is either a sold out up here or b heavy and big.

A crysalis 5 was the best i could come up with in town and i just couldnt help but think it was a bit much bag for this trip.

Just been sent a review on te travelpak 3 and it looks like a good bag for uk bivvy! – its the one with mozzie net

Its 1500g and 26×22 packed size

trail_rat
    Free Member

I bought a snugpak in the end – simply because the rating was good , the weight was average – the price was good and it had a mozzie net….. after memories of bivvying on rannoch moor sleeping with my head under my jacket to hide from the mozzies.

first impressions – ill need to rearrange its stuff sack- its short and fat – it will have an argument with my front wheel if i leave it like that.

Perhaps i can adjust my kanga to lift it up – then i forgo my tri bars but given the offroad to road ratio thats probably not a bad thing.

Its a very long sleeping bag which is a godsend – i usually struggle with sleeping bags due to length – with the hood up i have to sleep with legs and waist bent….

the zips seem a bit flimsy though – not sure how they will hold up.

STATO
    Free Member

I bought a revelate drybag a few years ago. Its longer and narrower than any bag ive found in shops and means it clears my wheel without needing to by above the bars on my 29er. Aplkit or someone seriously need to get making narrower bags, the design of theirs means they just turn into a ball when you dont fill them to the brim.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive got one of alpkits double ended 20litre bags on its way – I think the straps on it will let me make it longer and thinner than the snugpak sack.

trail_rat
    Free Member

And in a further review. My suspiscions about the zips were well founded. The midge net zip takes a bit of work to get in and out of. Its not a sleeping bag you want to be in when you wake needing a pee…..

Warm enough though,

trademark
    Free Member

Hi.

i usually struggle with sleeping bags due to length

Would this Snugpak (travelpak 3?) accommodate a 6’2″ body?
    I have a plethora of bags but not one with a mozzie net and need one for Scottish bivi trips.

Sleeping in a Beatons suit does not appeal!

Cheers.

trail_rat
    Free Member

im 6ft 2 – its a long bag even for me…

trademark
    Free Member

Thanks for that, sounds like just what I need.

Cheers.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

trail_rat, have you tried lubricating the zips with zip ease or rubbing a pencil (graphite) along them?

takisawa2

That Snugpack seems remarkably good value… 😯

trail_rat
    Free Member

Onhb , i havnt . Its more that the mesh has no structure so you have to feed it in at the right angle for it to work .

Its quite a bulky bag – fills my 20litre underbar dry bag,,,,but we are on a budget here so down wasnt under consideration.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘3 season bivvy sleeping bag.’ is closed to new replies.