• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 3 Peaks tyre & wheel choice
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got an entry to the 3 Peaks, first timers. So I was wondering what wheel & tyre combo to run on my CX bike.

I have the choice of Stans Grail set up tubeless with either 33mm Vittoria XL’s or XG’s, or should I go for the tougher Mavic 319’s fitted with something like a schwalbe land cruiser in 35mm and pumped up pretty hard (60psi) to avoid pinch flats?

Spin
    Free Member

Assuming you’re running tubes 60 psi is too soft, never done tubeless so can’t speak for that. I find Smart Sam’s better than Landcruisers. I run them as hard as they will go, 85psi from memory. Grails should be fine, mate rode on them last year.

2tyred

I usually race CX on Crests with Clement clinchers set up tubeless, but for the 3 Peaks I prefer Landcruisers with tubes with somewhere around 70psi, partly for peace of mind but mainly for the road sections. There’s really not that much traditional CX terrain, so low pressure tubeless doesn’t seem worth it and they’d suck on the road.

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve done it three times. Whatever tyres I had. I did it on XGs one year but preferred the uncle johns I used last time (similar to small block 8s), Never brave enough to use a file tread but you probably could if it hasn’t been a very wet lead up – probably more ride-able rocky and tarmac sections than mud.

Think I’ve got velocity SL rims. Pumped up the tyres to about 70psi and was fine. Never saw the point of landcruisers as punctures are pinch flats which is more a factor of tyre pressure and not hitting big rocks/drainage bars. I tended to ride conservatively on the downs to save the bike and me from damage. Go hard on the walking sections, road and final climb.

boxelder

Land cruisers are ‘tall’ and higher volume, which helps. Panaracer Cross blaster on Mavic open pros for me the last couple of times.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

First time for me last year and was using Kinesis Crosslight rims and Landcruisers at about 70 psi.

IMO it’s only PyG where you risk real damage/puncture, much of Inglebrough is boggy/grassy decent, as is Whernside if you pick the right route 😉

However I wasn’t impressed by how much my bike weighed last year and Landcruisers make up a bit of that weight so was wondering if there are lighter suitable tyres out there ??

For what’s it worth, in last years dry conditions I never thought Landcruisers didn’t offer enough grip

Spin
    Free Member

Inglebrough is boggy/grassy decent, as is Whernside if you pick the right route

Don’t know what route off Whernside would be boggy/grassy! I’ve passed loads of folks with pinch flats on that.

A large part of tyre choice and pressure depends on weight and riding style. I’m not heavy but like to go quick on the descents so higher pressure makes sense and has never seemed like a handicap in other areas.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘3 Peaks tyre & wheel choice’ is closed to new replies.