Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 3 months downhilling
  • fourbanger
    Free Member

I’ve got 3 months off, December, January, February. I want to spend most of it hammering my bike down mountains and getting carried back to the top.
    Options so far seem to be Queenstown in NZ or something like Switchbacks in Mmmmlager Spain.
    Anything I’ve not thought of? Want it to be cheap, although neither of the above really will be.
    Thoughts?

jam-bo

learn to ski/board. way more fun in the winter.

jam-bo

double post

MadPierre

NZ – it will be summer there. Spain will probably be a bit damp that time of year.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In Rotorua at the minute, the advice for QT was you need to find a floor to sleep on as accommodation is very pricy. Also the rubbish £ won’t help.

Roto is a good venue if you can find accommodation for a bit to split things up.
    Victoria & NSW Oz have plenty of SH venues and Stromlo is in the ACT so close by (harder than made out to be) we have a worlds round in Cairns 2014 too. Will be stinking hot and a chance of getting burnt in a bush fire though.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

QT in NZ is good fun to ride and the towns pretty ‘happening’ as its a mecha for backpackers.

The lift assit is good and Jono who runs the bike taxi to some of the local non-lift assisted tracks (Zoot etc) is ace.

Just be aware while there are some good trails on the skyline gondala accessed hill, its not whistler yet. They don’t have the vertical or the number of trails but they are working on the later.

Meant to be some good xc riding about and if you ride trails then there is the EPIC Gorge road Dirt jumps.

gazc
    Free Member

i spent 2 weeks over last winter in malaga area. bone dry trails but uplifts are expensive (£40 per day+), would be best if you plan to ride uphill as well as down to keep the costs down and theres a few good guide books about to help out with where to go – its not exactly full of trailcentres! NZ would be awesome and my bet if you had the cash – can get a season pass for the gondola at QT but as others have said it ain’t massive/of whistler proportions (yet) so best using the bike shuttles around there and rotorua too if you travel around a bit. as for accomodation vans/cars seem to hold their value out there, you could buy a beaten up van, sleep in the back on a mattress for 3month and sell it for what you paid for it (my mates did this!)

sweaman2
    Free Member

jambo + 1 – Skiing / Boarding.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oli, you’re a lucky bugger!

sharkattack

If Queenstown is a realistic option get it done. Malaga is hot and sunny with a handful of nice trails but I wouldn’t want to spend three months there.

JEngledow
    Free Member

How about Southern North America (California etc)? I’ve no idea what’s available or how expensive it is, but there are some big bike companies in that area so must be some decent riding!!

ianv
    Free Member

3 months in Malaga would be a lot and pretty expensive on uplifts. If you wanted to stay in Europe, you could combine Spain with Portugal. There is some pretty good Downhilling around the algarve.

If you do go to Spain, have a look at the bikeshuttle. I met the owner in Andorra and he is a really cool guy and I think he is cheaper than switchbacks.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Ps if you choose QT let me know I might take January off and come ride for a month!

fourbanger
    Free Member

nobeerinthefridge, got to do it while I still can! Life will get serious too soon I imagine.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I’ll let you know one_happy_hippy. Just got to work out costs and visas!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

switchbacks are cool, so I’d recomend them for a holiday, for 3 months why not see if any companies need guides or van/bus drivers?

_tom_
    Free Member

Id try and do a new place each month or so to keep it interesting, just tour a few of the best bike parks that are open year round!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

One of the guides at rivierabike was due to start uni this month, maybe try for a wee number with them?. Awesome place to live for 3 months.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘3 months downhilling’ is closed to new replies.