Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 3 missing chainring bolts
  • ruminant
    Free Member

Sat at home fuming at the moment, because I suspect some scrote at work has been tampering with my bike!

Got about a mile into a 4 mile commute, and the chain starts slipping, look down to see the chainring doing a weird oval motion. Stopped to check and find three bolts gone and one still rock solid.

Whats the chances of three bolts working loose at the same time, with no hint of problems on the commute in this morning.

Stoner
    Free Member

once one goes, the others could 🙂

who the hell nicks chainring bolts?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ti bolts? Dodgy area? Near school kids?

I suspect the kind of person who knicks ring bolts is the same sort who randomly walks past bike stand in broad daylight and purposefully kicks the hell out of the wheels to bend them. Seen that done too, nothing surprises me any more!

andym
    Free Member

Whats the chances of three bolts working loose at the same time, with no hint of problems on the commute in this morning

Maybe this morning you had 3 chainring bolts and the third one worked its way loose?

singletracksurfer

had chainsuck the other day. had a look and 3 chainring bolts were VERY loose, the other 2 were fine.

just my poor maintenance and not using locktite I suppose. Sh!t happens.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 looseten off (Not fall out, mind) on 2 occasions. Both on new XT cranksets

nickc

Mate had three inner bolts go all at once on an FSA carbon chainset a couple of weeks ago

fingerbike
    Free Member

This a good reason to keep using chainrings with five bolts!?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Buy titanium ones, they just seize up and are virtually impossible to get off, certainly never come free on their own. And they make a fun sulphur-y smell when you do break them free!

meehaja
    Free Member

I was on a nice DH in the Lakes one summer when something strange happened with my chainset. On further examination I ad lost 3 chain ring bolts and just one was holding it all together (but had rotated enough to throw the chain). I can’t say for sure that I lost all three on that one ride/ descent but I’d never noticed it or had that problem beofore. Now I always check the bolts tightness before and afer every ride. Just one of those lessons you I learnt from experience!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘3 missing chainring bolts’ is closed to new replies.