Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • 3 microns of snow should not stop traffic…
  • drlex
    Free Member

[…]postbox sized slots in the windscreen[…]

Ah, the “tank commanders”:
    Elderly motorist warned over snow-covered windscreen

“Warned” made me a sad panda; what’s wrong with a funting fine & 3 points for the feckless ****ts?

maxtorque

The issue isn’t really one of snow. It’s one of crowding. Our rush hr roads are now so fully, that they jam up at the slightest hint of an issue. Even a broken down lorry on the hard shoulder was enough to jam the M1 a few days ago, people just backing off a few mph, causing a concertina effect and bingo, stationary traffic! So add in a bit of snow, a few people being too cautious, a few being a bit reckless, and people generally taking just say 15% longer to complete any maneouver, and bingo, traffic chaos. When people post up pictures of say switerlands alpine passes, working fine with 5m of snow, that’s because they aren’t trying to get 220,000 cars/hr down that road at that time!!

nealglover
    Free Member

Like most host cities, very few alpine events actually happen in the cities themselves. Surely you know this by now, even if you appeared not to when you originally made your quip.

I did know that yes, however I’m not alone in thinking that Vancouver wasn’t the best choice (or at least that ALL of the skiing and snowboarding rather than just some of it should have been somewhere else)
    Calgary seemed to be the place most Canadians favoured.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

But not the IOC. I must check and see what they’d guidelines for choosing Winter Olympic host cities.

So now we’ve moved on from snowfall, to temperatures to most Canadians. 🙂 (Hasn’t Calgary already had them? Not that that is necessarily a factor of course, unlike temperatures, snowfall and host country population sentiments.)

nealglover
    Free Member

Yes, Calgary hosted them very successfully in 1988. And were in the running in 2010 but the Canadian committee decided Canada’s warmest city (altitude 4 metres above sea level) would be better than High Altitude, Snowy Calgary 😉

You seem offended somehow that anyone thinks vancouver possibly wasn’t the best venue ?

It’s an opinion, and not just mine, but I’ll leave it there.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m not offended at all. Just setting you straight. I’ll leave it there too.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m bit offended at all….

at = is?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Auto correct Jimmers.

mamadirt
    Free Member

nealglover – Member

Still a strange choice to host a Winter Olympics.

Can you imagine the conversation.

“Where in Canada shall we choose to host the Winter Olympics”

“Hey why not Vancouver, its Canada’s Warmest City !”

Blinkin’ chucking it down at the mo’ 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Blinkin’ chucking it down at the mo’

Bit late now though eh 😉

CountZero

^^^ Oooo, purty! 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not that it would be much help, seeing as there were no events at Grouse Mountain.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘3 microns of snow should not stop traffic…’ is closed to new replies.