• This topic has 33 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ml.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • 3 days Trans-vorlich OR How I learned to love the hike-a-bike (pics)
  • 13thfloormonk

I got Memory Map for the south of Scotland recently, and within one tin of beer had planned a wee three dayer starting in Dunblane and taking a slightly convoluted route north and west, to finish on the pier at Bonawe…

Day 1:

I started at Dunblane with two other cyclists, all of us headed for Killin, all by different routes. Riding along the road I was greeted with rain and a red kite showing off beside the road

From Doune I headed uphill to the Braes of Doune wind farm, scary things up close!

The riding wasn't too spectacular, apart from some meter deep drifts across the path occasionally! Eventually a brief bog trot took me to the path that would then lead to Findhu Glen

Findhu Glen

Leaving Findhu Glen I met the Glen Artney road and followed it west where it would eventually take me to Glen Vorlich, and the bealach to the east of the Ben that I was headed through.

I reached the bealach after a fairly epic hike-a-bike. The trail might have been passable some of the way, but the snow melt had left it pretty soggy underfoot, so I resigned to a long push and managed to enjoy it thanks to the weather and another red kite plus the watchful red deer above me

The hike-a-bike continued over the bealach and down the other side. This was starting to test my sense of humour because I'd researched this bit and was sure there was a quad trail somewhere! Then I found it and all hikey-bike was forgotten, a barely controlled descent down deeply rutted quad tracks with lots of twisty blind corners and steep sections.

The quad track turned into landy track, but it remained rutted and steep, and on a laden bike the corners still needed treated with respect!

A stint on the road brought me to Lochearnhead where I stopped fo chips and a pint. From here I was supposed to head up Glen Kendrum and descend Glen Dhu to Lix Toll, however it was getting dark and the hike-a-bike had taken it out of me, so i donned haedlights and rode up the Glen Ogle Sustrans track and descended to Killin to make the campsite for 10:30.

Day 2:

The usual lazy start saw me winching up the Ben Lawers road to then descend to Bridge of Balgie after passing some nervous traffic on the way down. The road was spectacular and my fingers were twitching for the STIs of my road bike…

From Bridge of Balgie I took the Lairig Ghallabhaich to the woods of Rannoch. Near the top a black grouse shot out of the bushes and whirred away through the glen.

I made it out of the woods without getting a kicking from any belligerant Capercaillie, and continued west on the landy tracks above Bridge of Gaur.

Another rutted, bumpy and highly entertaining descent down to Bridge of Gaur saw me winding along the road to Rannoch station before crossing the line and heading along the shores of Loch Laidon to the moor itself.

Not much riding to be had for a large part of the moor, but the views kept me entertained, plus one of the most rustic bothies I've had the fortune to stumble across (tigh na cruach = house of the heap i think 😀 )

I'm in there somewhere…

The finale of the sunset co-incided with me finding the start of the track which led to the Black Corries Lodge and then to the Kingshouse pub for beer, banter and tent.

Day 3:

Kingshouse morning…

I was sore this morning, i'd been riding on a sore wrist since day one and it wasn't getting better. The weather however was having none of it and i was duty bound to head south on the west highland way to Victoria Bridge, then west to Loch Etive via glen Kinglas.

Duty bound because as a scotsman it is my solemn sworn duty to go out and burn on the first sunny weekend of the year. Mission accomplished!

Glen Kinglas was stunning

The riding through the glen was great, and the slabs were a lot of fun, or would have been if i could have gripped the bars enough to actually have a play.

stupidly however i'd lost track of time and hadn't really eaten very much, so by the time i reached Narrachan bothy i was starting to suffer, BONK! nice view though…

I'd be lying if i said i enjoyed the shores of Loch Etive. They're very rolling so while i enjoyed the steep, loose landy track descents, the steep climbs immediately after were met with immediate dismounts and baby steps to the top. Not fun.

After a very grumpy final few kilometres I finally wobbled through Bonawe village to the pier, where i sat and took in the view while gradually forgetting the last few kilometres.

That'll do nicely…

ART

I know I'm not the only one … I love these reports, you should really have had your own mag feature by now 😀 That looks just fabulous, although I don't envy you the hike a bike bits, always a bit of a faff methinks and have to be rewarded or else! Great stuff, keep em coming.

matt_outandabout

Whooop! Great trip

Shoulda stayed at ours in Killin – three doors t'pub

13thfloormonk

Bugger, it took me two attempts to even get into a site at Killin, High Creagan "just couldn't do it" apparently. Sod.

Cheers ART, the hike-a-bike is the natural consequence of wanting to ride every trail you see on the map, gotta take the rough with the smooth. In this case the descent off vorlich eventually lived up to my expectations.

cinnamon_girl

Stunning! And the pic of the deer is lovely. 😀

I would love to ride in Scotland, dare I ask if there were any B & B's on your route? 😉 Nope? That's my problem, I don't do hardship. 🙄

How much 'hike-a-bike' is actually involved in something like that? A laden bike can't be easy.

13thfloormonk

The picture of the deer was taken just over the footbridge from the Kingshouse Hotel, and I passed through some of the most B&B'ed areas of Scotland en route 😀

There needen't be any hike-a-bike on these things, Tandemjeremy for instance has a route through the wilds that is apparently all double track.

I just wanted to explore a bit, and the Rannoch section was too convenient to miss, hikey or not. The bike wasn't actually very laden, I was though!

pedalhead
    Free Member

Excellent, thanks for sharing. I really fancy doing something like that at some point. Looks like quite a little adventure.

paul78
    Free Member

Fantastic ride and great report..

Once the hike a bike has been embraced the possibilities are endless.

When's the next trip?? I'm Itching to get another epic planned.

paul.e

cinnamon_girl

I have lots of ideas for little adventurettes but somehow never get around to doing them. Even have the mapping sorted out for a couple.

Reckon I need to MTFU. After all how hard is it to do a few days solo point-to-point riding in the South?

druidh
    Free Member

Depends how many roads you're prepared to cross?

kennyp
    Free Member

Looks great. Is it true though that the fun rocky descent just before the slabs in Glen Kinglass has been all smoothed out now?

user-removed
    Free Member

Fantastic – cheers for sharing! I agree about the whole 'embracing' of hike-a-bike. It really does get you properly off the beaten track. Unfortunately most of the guys I ride with get upset if one of my routes gets any more challenging than a well defined path, so most 'proper' adventures are done solo!

2tyred

Wonderful stuff – I love this sort of post, thanks for sharing! Looks brilliant.

Map time.

gordimhor

Looking forward to doing something similar this summer myself 8)

cinnamon_girl

You have inspired me to get out of my comfort zone. Thank you 🙂

markd
    Free Member

Might see if you want company on one of these sometime…

lowey

This had made my month. You wade through meaningless shite posted on here by certain regulars and then you find posts like this. Pure mountain biking. Brilliant post Sir, and I doff my cap to you. Thanks for sharing.

euanr
    Free Member

Great stuff, well done on all the photos too, cracking pics.

13thfloormonk

Thanks all, i always enjoy reading people's comments on these posts, attention whore or what? 😀

The descent onto the slabs at Glen Kinglas doesn't look like its changed in a long time, basically very eroded and rocky quad track. After the bridge crossing its all loose gravelly double track to the lodge, but with plenty slabby sections poking out to keep it interesting.

Riding with the camping gear releases you from the fixation with singletrack. Normally good singletrack is like crack to me, but once I'm fully laden I appreciate nothing more than a good stalker's path or landy track to get me through the wilds. Heavy laden bikes also handle delightfully, momentum is definitely your friend in most instances!

Assuming my wrist heals sometime soon, i'll be doing a two week trip from Glenfinnan to Cape Wrath in May, company most definitely welcome!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Looks great. Nice one.

I don't know about learning to love the hike a bike tho – I have just about learnt to tolerate it. The nature of Scottish riding seems to be that if you want the sweetest of tracks you need some hikabike to get there.

druidh
    Free Member

Another great photo story Iain. Do you reckon to have hit on the best load carrying option now?

swiss01
    Free Member

wow, what a great sounding route, even moreso because it's so close to where i live. i'm going to be away up the northwest at the end of may so let us know roughly where you'll be and we'll wave!

balfa
    Free Member

Enjoyed that. I did something similar when I was younger. I had a disaster though as I snapped the bolt in the seatpost on the pass over to loch Rannoch. Spent the next 3 days ridding without a saddle. Absolute nightmare! Moral to the story don't ride with a heavy backpack on.

Hope to do something similar again this summer but I'm currently on the subs bench too with injury.

Kunstler

Brilliant post and the best impression of a wind turbine. That stretch along Loch Etive really is a bit of a cruel joke at the end of a long day. It can be made worse by the hysterics of a fairweather cycling SO who you have convinced to join you on the premise of an easy day out.

But, yes – this is truly inspiring stuff. The thought of Glenfinnan to Cape Wrath is really exciting.

13thfloormonk

Druidh, i've got the load carrying spot on for the sort of riding i want do, however if i weren't trying to ride proper rocky singletrack I'd be very happy to take the weight off my back, 80km with a 9kg rucsac was just a little too much to do day after day! Being a wingnut the ergonomics are pretty much spot on, but the shoulders get pretty raw nonetheless!

I can shed at least 1kg from the rucsac by getting a bigger saddle bag and ditching the lock i carried for three days and never used.

balfa, I don't envy you there, I barely left the saddle for three days! hopefully Thomson posts live up to their price tag and I don't suffer the same…

LuckyJim
    Free Member

Really inspirational – brilliant post.

robgarrioch

Bloody hell Ian, didn't realise quite how far your trip had been… Good going indeed.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Brilliant yarn once again Iain. I always enjoy reading your tales.

What are the dates for your Cape Wrath trip? It's be good to join you for a day or two.

italspark
    Free Member

nice one……good to see someone getting on with it, hikey bike has got me to some of scotlands most amazing places over the years……embrace the pain and stretch those hamstrings !

13thfloormonk

Stuartie, 15th/16th of May from Glenfinnan, 50km a day for 14 days up to Cape Wrath/Durness.

Rob and I already have a day or two planned passing through Torridon, but anywhere you fancy meeting, give me a shout and we can organise.

Same goes for anyone else, posting on the web is partly a result of having no-one to share with at the time! 🙂

marty
    Free Member

nice ride.

the bealach east of ben vorlich is a right pisser. did it N>S a few years back. looks great on the map, but was largely a push down to the S too.

tussockybastardingtussocks.

ml
    Free Member

Brilliant write-up. Totally inspirational. You do need a magazine column!

What kind of rucksack do you use? Anything special in your setup that you wouldn't mind sharing?

13thfloormonk

ml, nothing special, but some is a bit expensive. I've built up a collection of stuff over the past two or three years.

It basically comprises mountain marathon gear from camping stores i.e:

Terra Nova Laser Comp Tent (sub 1kg)

Thermarest Prolite Large Thermarest (could defintely be smaller but I'm an 'expansive' sleeper and like the extra width) Foam mats could well be warmer and more robust (I have punctured thermarests more than once) but they look to be more awkward to carry without an extra rack or something on the back of the bike.

Snugpack Softie Kilo Sleeping bag. Again, could be smaller and lighter but its a great bag and very comfy.

MSR Pocket rocket with titanium pot. I use the pot for tea/coffee/porridge and pasta. Leads to some slightly odd aftertastes if I haven't cleaned it properly, but does the job!

Basic, lightweight clothes in a dry bag for stops.

Salomon fell running shoes so I can still go for wee scrambles and hikes without carrying big old hiking boots.

The usual tools and spares for the bike.

A Canon compact camera (with extra big zoom on it) and small Joby tripod.

Slimmed down necessities, pocket packs of tissues, tesco anti-bacterial wet wipes, chewing gum instead of a toothbrush, lightweight microfibre towel, small head torch, 'small' headlight for the bike (an L+M Stella 150) any midgie stuff deemed necessary.

Merino socks and base layers are great because they don't seem to need washed for days on end, and stay warm and comfy even when wet. I still use waterproof shorts (or those new Endura ones that have the wateproof arse) and a cheap gillet for when its not raining but isn't sunning.

The rucsac is a Wingnut MPS. Very pricey (although I got it when I worked in a shop that dealt with them) but solves a lot of the normal problems you get with rucsacs, no clashes with the helmet on steep stuff, and not too much load on your upper back. With an extra strap you can also make the pack very stable on descents. I still get a bit raw and tender underneath the shoulder straps, so I might try and pad them out before the next trip.

There's more hardened lightweight bivviers on this site than you could shake a stick at, I'm too lazy/soft to try and slim my kit right down to the bare bones, but others could probably save a good couple of kilos over what I'm carrying…

ml
    Free Member

Thank you, that's a great list to get things rolling.

Martin

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘3 days Trans-vorlich OR How I learned to love the hike-a-bike (pics)’ is closed to new replies.