Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 3 day trip to the lakes with camping ideas
  • Paul-j

it will be the first time i will have ridden there. three of us, camping and arrive friday night.

wheres a good campsite and what trails do we need to do? like a good mix of every thing.

thanks inadvance

grum
    Free Member

Campsite in Grizedale or Hawkshead if you want pubs nearby.

– One day big Grizedale loop inc best bits of the NF + ace BWs and possibly involving Claife Heights tacked on
    – Iron Keld/loughrigg route – mega scenic
    – Head over to Staveley to do an easy Longsleddale loop or a hard Nan Bield loop.
    Or go up to Patterdale and ride Helvellyn (down via Dollywagon if you like it steep and rocky).

jekkyl

Keswick of course!
    camp here if I were you: http://www.castleriggfarm.com/
    I have stayed there countless times and it’s great. Open your tent flaps to a beautiful view of skiddaw in the morning and then go and ride the bugger. From keswick you have the borrowdale bash route open to you, whinlatter of course and if you want real mountains you can easily get to Skiddaw or Helvellyn. Keswick is lovely, plenty of pubs and restaurants, if you stay at the campsite I’ve just linked you can stroll through the woods to town in the evening for dinner and then get a taxi back when you’re plastered. Enjoy 😀

grum
    Free Member

His idea is also ok. 🙂

lowey

Think you will struggle with Castlerig if its a same sex group.

Coniston Old Hall is hard to beat. Riding from the site you have Dunnerdale Fells, Walna Scar, all of Grizedale, Claife, Tilberthwaite.

Pubs in Coniston and Torver 10 mins ride from the site. Site has plenty of “atmosphere” as well.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Langdale NT site has 2 good pubs close by and riding on the Ambleside stuff without actually having to drive & park there. Other than that I’d go with Keswick just book in smaller groups. Borrowdale, Skiddaw loops and Whinlatter all await you. Along with heaps more. Have a look at the Essential Trails Guide book, while not perfect it’s great for a start and forming a plan.

jekkyl

another campsite recommendation near keswick that allows same sex groups is:
    Lanefoot Farm. CA12 5RZ, Tel: 01768 778097 LINK

The site is right at the base of Whinlatter and you can cycle up to the trails, the campsite was full of mtbers when we went and you’ll have a good crack. The site has old car wheel hubs littered about that you can have fires in, The owner sells you charcoal and then brings it up in a barrow, you can also cook on them and the owner has grills for that purpose. It’s doesn’t have the dramatic views of Castlerigg or the facitities and it’s a little bit of a drive or a cycle or a walk into Keswick but there are closer pubs that do food but we never ate in them. We had a nice time after doing Skiddaw with a fire at night watching the night riders go round the whinlatter trails above.

edlong
    Free Member

Sykeside campsite, by Brotherswater, is

1) a great campsite
    2) equipped with decent pub
    3) well, well located for Glennridding and Patterdale, so Helvellyn, Ullswater, High Street etc. etc.
    4) windswept, seemingly at all times, so possibly one to avoid if you have a rubbish tent or are unable to pitch a tent properly – I’ve seen a few disasters.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tbh, if you’ve never ridden in the lakes, it doesn’t really matter where you camp, you’ll love it. All of the above seem good suggestions. My own – great langdale, right next to old dungeon ghyll pub, and some great riding straight from the site. Cracking views to wake up to as well.

Cheezpleez

Great Langdale is a great base. Just make sure you can pitch on the higher ground in the campsite…

grum
    Free Member

Great Langdale is another good shout – such a scenic valley and you’re very near the Iron Keld/Loughrigg route I mentioned.

retrogirl
    Free Member

I recommend this place http://www.derwenthill.co.uk/derwenthill/pages/RecreationalActivity.aspx?pageid=173 it is 10 mins walk from keswick and is a private campsite out of the way and has a little ropes course you can play on if noones around. I was there at the weekend and it welcomes groups I rode the borrowdale bash from there and a 5 min drive takes you to whinlatter. For food the farmers arms is round the corner

LardLover
    Free Member

The place will be crawling with roadies this Sunday, it’s the Fred Whitton. You might see me there, bringing up the rear. If you see someone in M.Steel Cycles kit struggling, give me a push please……..! (I’ll be the only one as I’m the only one in the club to get a place).

Thank you 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

One of the Coniston campsites’d be alrite, then you’ve got tons of options. Good luck with the weather though, it looks a bit hit and miss at the moment. Unfortunately Ive got to walk 42 miles in it on Saturday.

I’ll give you a shout of encouragement if I see you on hardknott on Sunday Lardlover

LardLover
    Free Member

Never mind a shout davidtaylforth, if I’m still going by the time I get to Hardknott I’ll definitely be needing a push. Any chance you can carry a pie with you just in case, I’ll be rather peckish by then. Not cheese and onion, something with meat of some description.

Or a pizza……….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Rydal Hall nr Ambleside has a great toilet block, underfloor heating, big shower cubicles. Not sure what it’s like in summer, might get crazy, we default there in winter for the above facilities, perhaps less important in summer. Anyway, Ambleside is very central for most areas, worth looking into. They also have Yurts and pods for slightly better living accom.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘3 day trip to the lakes with camping ideas’ is closed to new replies.