Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 3 cracks in my freehub (superstar), (Will i become a cropper?!)
  • olixmb4x
    Free Member

i needed to change my bearings in my rear superstar switch hub. all went well till i came to the freehub – there are 3 hairline cracks leading from the cut outs where the pawls go (very thin aluminium here – doesnt surprise me)

i havent got a spare hub / wheel so i carried on to change the bearings and reassembled the wheel obviously theres no way of knowing the cracks are there when pedalling – but im just nervous that at some point they will shatter the whole freehub and i will fly off into the bushes!

what do you reckon (apologies for poor image – there is another crack opposite this one)

warpcow
    Free Member

Mine went like that after about a year. I changed it to a steel one asap. I’d not want to be going out too far with a cracked one.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I had the same with a Hope Pro 2 Evo, the cracks started from the pawls and propagated the full length of the freehub all the way to the lockring.
    I felt the hub not running freely about 5 miles into a 20 mile ride, however the cassette held the freehub together allowing me to complete the ride.
    I’d get a replacement on order ASAP.

olixmb4x
    Free Member

i was thinking of replacing the hub for a Hope pro 2 evo actually – tbh ive not been impressed by the superstar hub – it doesnt seem to be sealed very well meaning ive had to replace the bearings 3 times. Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘3 cracks in my freehub (superstar), (Will i become a cropper?!)’ is closed to new replies.