Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 3 bikes on my shortlist.. which one do i choose please?
  • compkiler
    Free Member

Hi lads, new to the forum and im also a bit rusty on whats good and what aint!
    Im after a decent trail bike but also a good downhill bike which will basically do both.
    A few of my mates go all over doing trails and fast down hill runs etc.
    Cannock Chase for example…

I have in the past done some serious ‘near vertical’ slow downhill technical stuff and would like to get back into it also at some point.

Now my budget is about £1500 and there are some great offers on brand new 2010 bikes which im looking at at present.

I have 3 bikes which are on my short list but just wanted to know what your suggestions are, not only on these 3 bikes but on any others i have’nt mentioned!

The bikes in question are:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b65s1p3614
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s1p2848
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b2s1p2599

Now i prefer the Mongoose the most but would be worried that it wouldnt be able to do normal trails that well with my mates?

Regards

Simon

Hopefully you guys know whats good and what isnt and shed some light. 🙂

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I would have thought the Giant or the Cannondale would be the most versatile?

I had a 140mm Mongoose Teocali and it was really quite soggy to pedal, a struggle to keep up with people of similar fitness on different bikes. The PinnR is a totally different bike to the other two. I don’t think its had a good write up in the magazines and you’d struggle on anything not pointing downhill.

If you want more travel than the Cannondale or Giant, but still pedallable on normal trails you should be looking at the usual Lapierre Spicy’s(or even Froggy), Orange Alpines, Trek Remedys, Commencal 6 etc etc

What are your mates riding?

compkiler
    Free Member

I think there riding the bikes you mentioned tbh!

ash.addy
    Free Member

Some good looking Lapierres on e bay at the mo

chakaping
    Free Member

None of them for what you say you want to ride.

I take it your budget is about £1,500?

Have a look at the Specialized Pitch or the 2010 models of the Saracen Ariel for starters.

If you’re considering secondhand (and are a medium) then drop me an email as I’m selling my Cube Fritzz – which would give you a way better-specced bike for less money and be spot-on for light DH and trail riding.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

So I’d count the Mongoose out then. It may spark good memories of past times of technical downhill riding, but it will be a beast to pedal to get to any technical downhills in the first place and you’ll be so far behind your mates they’ll have gone home by the time you catch up 😉

Whatabout this Saracen Ariel

They’ve been described as “mini downhill bikes” that can act as a trail bike, rather than a slightly overweight trail bike. Fox dampers front and rear, where else would you find that at £1100?? Quite a few other deals around on those too.

Or the ubiquitous Specialized Pitch? Another trail bike with ‘mini downhill’ bike aspirations.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

And here’s a good review of a ‘custom’ build Ariel

Real Cycles Blog Saracen Ariel

I’m almost tempted 😉

brakes
    Free Member

I can categorically say don’t get the Mongoose, that suspension design is bobbins – I have one with the same in the shed

mboy
    Free Member

Of the 3 you’ve linked to, both the Giant and the Cannondale are very good bikes. The Mongoose is a massive unknown quantity, and has way too much travel (and weight I expect) to be any good as a trail bike.

Of the 2 left, the Trance X is a brilliant technical bike, they are highly underrated and really deserve a 140mm fork as the back end is so good. The Maestro suspension design also pedals very well, and helps the bike feel very lively.

The RZ140 is also an excellent bike. The extra travel will mean it noticeably have less feedback, but also be slightly better at swallowing bigger hits. Similarly good as an XC bike, perhaps slightly more suited to ripping down trails on balance though.

If you spend most of your time at Cannock, I’d buy the Giant, swap the 120mm fork for a 140, and go rag the hell out of it til you need to upgrade/replace anything else. I lve the Giant Maestro system, it pedals well, yet is also lively and still manages to smooth the trails out very well.

That said though, if you’re more intent on riding more DH trails with only a bit of XC, and you don’t mind a weight penalty, then the only real answer in your price range is the Specialized Pitch!

compkiler
    Free Member

Cheers guys 🙂

PePPeR

I’d say the Giant or the outside chance would be the Saracen Ariel!

compkiler
    Free Member

Ok, so if i went for the Giant, how much would it cost me extra to upgrade to the 140mm susspension then? 🙂 And whats it called if i went into the shop and asked them to upgrade it.

Cheers

billysugger
    Free Member

Ever seen a Ghost?

I was looking at that price range but I got an insider discount on the ugliest, heaviest, most common ‘BMW M3’ of a mtb so spent a little more

mboy
    Free Member

Ok, so if i went for the Giant, how much would it cost me extra to upgrade to the 140mm susspension then?

Right, looking at the specs, I’d actually go for a Trance X3 from Pauls Cycles, not the X2. There’s not much in it, but the X3 is £300 cheaper. The difference between deore and SLX for instance is not worth the extra.

I’d then look at something like a set of Rockshox Revelations in 140mm travel guise with the same 15mm axle as the original forks, or perhaps just go for a set of Fox Float 140’s with 15mm axle. But fox are more expensive. A set of Rockshox Rev’s is going to set you back something like £400 new. You should get £300 for your unused 120mm fox’s though by selling on here or eBay.

You’ve then got £200 left in the kitty to upgrade the bike if you wish, or spend on getting to some new trails!

mudmonster
    Free Member

Hi Lads

…and lasses

chakaping
    Free Member

If you do get that Trance X and want to upgrade to 140mm forks – I will shortly be selling a barely broken-in Fox Float 140 RL with 15mm axle and a matching set of wheels with Stans Flow rims.

Sorry if it looks like I keep trying to sell you stuff, but I am just trying to help – honest.

😉

flow
    Free Member

I might be interested in the forks and wheels, are they 2011 and what hubs?

chakaping
    Free Member

2009 model but only had about 20 rides.

wheels are formula hubs with flow rims – same useage

drop me a line, email in profile

flow
    Free Member

Ahhhh, looking for 2011 140 Floats and pro 2 evo on Flows, nevermind.

cbrsyd
    Free Member

Ok, so if i went for the Giant, how much would it cost me extra to upgrade to the 140mm susspension then?

Got some 150 mm coil uturn Sektors from here:

http://www.bike-components.de/products/info/p25685_Sektor-RL-U-Turn-Federgabel-Modell-2011-.html

300 euros delivered. Good service and really pleased with the fork, wind it down for the ups and out for the downs 😀

compkiler
    Free Member

Hmmm ive just been going over the forum and a couple of other forums and a lot of people reckon that the Giant Reign is also a great bike and possibly better than the Trance.
    Its basically the same bike but with better susspension apparently ive read. ?

Is this another option for me?

mboy
    Free Member

I’d disagree regarding the Reign. It’s got 30mm more travel yeah, but it’s taller, and too steep for a bike with that much travel. The Reign X is a different kettle of fish, that’s bang on the money, but more travel (and a fair bit more weight) again.

Personally, Trance X, upgrade to a 140mm fork, then replace the rest as it breaks or wears out…

SaxonRider

On a purely subjective level, can I just say that I always the Giant looked like a squashed accordion? I hate the frame design.

compkiler
    Free Member

Mboy thanks for your replys bud 🙂
    Ill have a look this weekend and decide then…

I might be able to push the boat out though to 2.5k.

Now if i do this i want to know im getting a shit hot bike!

Is the 2011 Trance X2 a good bet?
    How about the Reign X2?

Or would i be best off just getting this http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s1p2848 and upgrading it a bit? Tbh though, i cba upgrading a bike atm, id rather just get the one i want if im spending that much money.

popartpoem
    Free Member

For my money … two choices for trail allrounder:

Trance X … I’ve had an X0 for three years & it’s been really very good. It is light, it climbs very well & is rideable all day. The week before last I spent 5.5 days on it going across the Lakes, Yorkshire Dales & Moors on it with a mate who used his X2 … both bikes were superb.

Lapierre Zesty … I’ve just bought one of these and absolutely love it. Slightly more surefooted going down hill than the Trance X & climbs like it doesn’t know when it’s time to stop. Super light, but it’s a 914 so damn well should be. I’ve demo’d the 314, which hooked me into the Zesty.

Both bikes have great spec for the money right across the range.

I’ve not ridden the Dale RZ One Forty but rode a hardtail Lefty last year for a day jungle trekking (on holiday!) and it was ok, but it was a hire bike so unfair to judge it further.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I might be able to push the boat out though to 2.5k.

Well you can get a lot of bike for that sort of money but for 1850 you could have a Santa Cruz Heckler

http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/santa-cruz-heckler-d-am-2011-bike/8634

Climbs well and will be good on the downhill.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘3 bikes on my shortlist.. which one do i choose please?’ is closed to new replies.