Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 3-4 day Scotland road cycle tour – Isle of Skye??
  • HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

OK, so I unexpectedly find myself with half the week free next week, and me and my other half were thinking of heading to Broadford on the Isle of Skye for a 3-4 day road cycle tour around the island.

However, after doing a bit of research this morning, it seems that whilst the Isle of Skye is fantastic, it is perhaps best explored on foot or by Mountain Bike, rather than cycling the A-roads around the island. Therefore, for a road cycle tour, somewhere else nearby in Scotland may make more sense. Is this true?? Anyone done it?

If so, is there any other 3-4 must-do routes that would be more suitable?

We’ll be on loaded bikes, so a 10,000ft 70 mile ride each day isn’t really suitable… That said, I’ve seen some vids of the road to Applecross that look amazing:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqlJDK1t1bQ[/video]

Advice/tips/thoughts appreciated!

scotroutes

A road bike is better than a Mountain bike for Skye, but boots are better still.

Start at Kyle (train?), Bridge to Skye, down to Armadale, ferry to Mallaig and follow the coastline to Ardnamurchan. Ferry to Mull and over to Oban (train?). See as much of Mull as your schedule allows.

Chew
    Free Member

Basically as Scotroutes says.

If you want to go to Skye go walking, riding elsewhere. Much better places to ride on the road in the Highlands than Skye.

You can easily spend 3-4 days on/around Mull depending on how may miles you may want to cover.

Bealach na ba is great and doable loaded, but be aware once you’re over in Applecross theres no easy way back out. Its either back over the hill or follow the coast road which is very hilly (probably has more climbing in total)

ransos
    Free Member

The roads can get very busy on Skye, especially the school holidays and don’t forget that Scotland starts earlier than England.

As per others, take your boots and get climbing the Cuillin hills.

kcal

check long term forecast. round Cairngorms or into Deeside / Perthshire may prove a better bet weather wise.

Though if west coast / islands are what you’re after, Applecross, Mull, Lochiver won’t be a bad starting point. Skye is lovely but not necessarily a destination location for touring bikes IMO. boots / MTBs possibly.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice.

Thinking of doing this instead now..
    http://www.visitscotland.com/info/see-do/isle-of-mull-lismore-and-ardnamurchan-p317311

wanmankylung
    Free Member

How about getting the ferry from Ardrossan to Campbeltown and riding up the Kintyre peninsula to Oban via Taynuilt, Oban to Mull, round Mull to Tobermory – ferry back to the mainland and then get a train from Fort William back to the start or wherever you need to go to.

Alternatively, instead of getting the ferry from Tobermory, head back to Oban and make yuur way back to Ardrossan via Arran.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘3-4 day Scotland road cycle tour – Isle of Skye??’ is closed to new replies.