Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • 2nd hand pair of wheels arrived with a dent – should I be miffed?
  • plyphon
    Free Member

I bought some 2nd hand hope hoops which were sold as “in great condition” – when arrived the front has a slight dent in the rim. It’s not major, and the tyre inflates/seems to hold fine, but not sure if I should be miffed or not.

I probably wouldn’t of bid if I had known…

The dent/ding curves inward a few mm. And creates a bump on the sidewalls. The rim is EN521.

Also: the rear hope pro 2 evo – I can get a finger nail under the brake side axle adapter. Should that sit flush? See picture:

chakaping
    Free Member

If it’s too small to come out in a pic then you’re being a fusspot.

🙂

plyphon
    Free Member

Nah I reckon it’s visible enough to come out in a picture – I just forgot to take one. Ill take one later on though.

though you probably wouldn’t spot it unless pointed out when on the bike.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Hub is normal. I’d mention a rim ding if I was selling wheels so I’d be miffed at that.

bruneep

seems you want new wheels for 2nd hand prices

adsh
    Free Member

Great condition is too generic a term to take at face value. I always ask specific questions.

A dent is not ‘great condition’ in my opinion but if they are functional and it’s not too cosmetic it could just about be in someone elses ‘great condition’

LoCo
    Free Member

If no reasonable sized dent was listed or shown in pictures, I’d expect a refund or discount tbh.

plyphon
    Free Member

seems you want new wheels for 2nd hand prices

well yes that would be ideal.

Dent was certainly not shown in any photos. I might mention it. I’ll take another look later and decide now that I’ve slept on it.

Hub is normal.

Thanks

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think a slight ding in a second hand wheel is acceptable/ to be expected

That said i think it has to say this explicitly and if it is not then it is materially different from advertised
    Great condition is not true for a dinged rim

I would describe as mechanically sound and performs well – state if it will take tubeless- with some dings and signs of use the worst being 2 mm deflection of wheel in x places. roughly x number of visible dings.

You have a point but the price i paid would also be a factor

Cannot help you re cap as never measured mine /checked

pinetree
    Free Member

What you want, sir, is this:

What you need though, are these:

Bend it out, don’t worry about it and get on and ride.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d say a pair of wheels could have one slight dent and still be in “great” condition.

What did you pay?

plyphon
    Free Member

I’ve considered bending it out – ill asses that later.

I paid just under £150 + shipping on a won auction at eBay. Seems to be about the price Pro 2 Evo wheelsets go for.

Maybe some of you are right and i’m expecting too much from what is a used mechanical product.

I’ll look at the dent later, it might be much less than i’m remembering now I’ve had a sleep and let the initial “anger” subside.

I must say, the rest of the wheels are great. Bearings incredibly smooth and you can hear the freehub clicking from space.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You’ll put plenty more in them if you ride properly…this will save you the angst of the first one (rims are a consumable item anyhoo….like tyres).
    And £150 is pretty cheap for a £400 wheelset.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Never ceases to amaze me what people post as a reply……man i need to sell some of you shite and see how you like it.
    Its unacceptable a dent is a dent it needed mentioning and photo from seller.
    That end cap shouldn,t be like that either.

Send them back full refund

Dogsby

I’d be upset. If there is a dent I would expect that to be detailed.

Dogsby

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’d maybe harrumph a bit but if they’re true and running smooth I’d just crack on. Caveat emptor and all that. The end cap smells of poorly seated bearing but might be nowt. Take it and the other side off and have a peek.

Junkyard
    Free Member

possibly

I also think you would mention it though – I certainly would- and let the seller decide

I hate rating things out of 10 so just given an honest warts and all description

Junkyard
    Free Member

possibly

I also think you would mention it though – I certainly would- and let the seller decide

I hate rating things out of 10 so just given an honest warts and all description

davewalsh
    Free Member

I’d be disappointed about the dent.

I’d be even more disappointed about thinking the hub is a pro 2 evo when it’s actually an original pro 2.

letmetalktomark

I’d have sold you a nearly new, undinked, pair of 26″ a Hope Hoops for around that sort of price 😉

jamj1974

To me “great condition” would be lightly worn but true and sent free. I would expect “good condition” to be the same but maybe a bit older.

The OP is not unreasonable to expect that a dent would be mentioned either. It is a piss-take not to.

aracer
    Free Member

Caveat Emptor doesn’t comply with ebay T&Cs – sellers are supposed to detail stuff like this. Personally I always make a point of including a pic of any slight flaws that I’m aware of when selling stuff on ebay, and would certainly mention any dents – that’s what any decent seller does. Seller is clearly trying to pull a fast one and hoping you’ll just put up with it.

sandboy

Recently bought a Garmin 800 off here advertised in good condition where the seller failed to mention 3 quite visible scratches to the screen. I have just sucked it up but was quite disappointed at the time!

walleater

EN521 rims are designed to be fairly soft so you should be fine to just bend the dent back if you so desire, and aren’t a complete imbecile when it comes to such things 😀

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Sounds like the dent will straighten out in seconds. I’d just do that and move on.

Seller doesn’t seem to have tried to pull one over really, it could have been missed, or genuinely considered great condition by someone else.

chakaping
    Free Member

Let’s see a pic of the dent.

Seller is clearly trying to pull a fast one and hoping you’ll just put up with it.

Whereas sounds to me like it might have just been missed by the seller.

Has the question even been put to him/her?

ctk
    Free Member

Should have been described in ebay ad. I’d be miffed aswell.

Not sure what I’d do- depends onsize of dent

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

So is it a pro 2 or Evo?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

It’s a Pro2 not an Evo.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Then I’d want a refund anyway if sold as Evo.

plyphon
    Free Member

Hang on – really? How can you tell?

The seller listed them as Pro 2 Evo – the rear hub is branded as Santa Cruz. If thats the case it’s not a Pro2 Evo then I will absolutely raise a dispute on ebay.

Here is the dent:

Imgur album of dent

Admittedly the dent is a lot smaller than I was remembering – but I’m more miffed that the rear is a Pro 2 and not an Evo.

scotroutes

I’d say that if it’s easy enough for you to take a photo of the dent then the seller certainly should have.

I have some SC branded Pro 2’s – they’re not Evos.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Paypal – “item not as described” complaint.
    Do it this afternoon.
    They’ll rule in your favour.

plyphon
    Free Member

Alright – cheers guys. Im doing it now.

Dispute filed on ebay – not as described.

chakaping
    Free Member

Dent is mention-worthy for sure, but appears harmless.

You’re right to chase seller over mis-described hub, but I’d assume ignorance rather than malice.

plyphon
    Free Member

Is there much value difference between Pro 2 and an Evo? If he comes back offering a partial refund I might consider accepting, though I do need to sort that miss-seated bearing out.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Wasn’t the Evo more convertible? You could change the rear spacing without changing the axle.

plyphon
    Free Member

Yeah that’s all I gathered was the difference. He’s said he would refund me anyway and he is adamant the dent wasn’t there when he posted them. I believe him at this stage as I know what MyHermes can be like. He also said it was a genuine mistake confusing the Pro2 for an Evo.

chestrockwell

I had similar with a pair of Mavic/Hope I bought from pb. The rear had a flat spot but only notice this some time after purchase so didn’t feel I could complain. I hadn’t used them but if I was the seller I’d suggest that it had been done by me due to the time.

I also expected Evo’s so was cheesed off when they weren’t. I re-read the add and it actually said they had Evo internals, not that they were Evo’s. Doh!

To be fair I’m still using them and have had no worries what so ever.

nosedive
    Free Member

Evo and non evo use the same hub shell so if the internals are changed you effectively have an evo hub

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘2nd hand pair of wheels arrived with a dent – should I be miffed?’ is closed to new replies.