Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 2nd hand car, user reviews
  • mtbfix

With the baby due the MX5 has got to go. I'm looking at the options and checking user reviews and they seem to do nowt but cloud the topic. From this experience I have learned that only two groups of folk post on user reviews, those who love the product and those who hate it. The voice of reason is sadly absent. Helping, it is not.

Anyone want to swap an MPV for an MX5?

Drac

May I ask why a MPV and not just a hatchback?

mtbfix

I think I'd wanted a Berlingo for its bike lugging capacity and the search web spread around that sort of shape of vehicle. Hatch would probably work fine in truth.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GaryLake
    Free Member

Focus C-Max, 55 plate bought 2nd hand from indy dealer: Everything is great bar the interior build quality… 2.0TDCi gives great ecomony and performance, seems to be pricey to repair as there's a lot of tech to go wrong but I think that's all modern diesels (Particulate filter and EGR valve went in first month and only the EGR was covered under warranty, £700+ bill of which I could claim only half, I think this was just bad luck tbh). Been faultless since.

stumpy01

Citroen Xsara Picasso might fit the bill. The Girlfriends parents have one and it has had no major faults. Been on quite a few trips from the Fenny fenlands to Spain & back through France with no bother. They've got the diesel.

My Bro has got a Focus C-Max and as far as know that is pretty good too. Not sure if the seats come out or anything for bike lugging duties.

zarquon
    Free Member

Jeez get a 2nd hand mundano cheap as chips and reliable

If you want to play the bangernomics game my recommendation is for a 2nd hand SAAB 9-3: warp drive depreciation (for someone else), handle like a barge, but enormous inside – i've got a bathroom suite in mine, and at another time: two bikes, a canoe, humungous tent, cooker, inflatable matress, all my and the gf's clothes and 6 cases of wine (didn't handle too well but it went).

Nico
    Free Member

"Which" reckon that MPVs have a peculiar tendency to being unreliable. Even Mazdas let the side down. Obviously a FIAT MPV would be unlikely to get out of the garage before breaking down. Previas are the exception (predictably).

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Struggled with a small hatch for a while after the baby was born – eventually bought an 06 Focus Estate and the whole job has become so much easier. Mate with two kids tested a C-Max against Focus estate and decided (pretty much the same as we did) the Focus was better for when they were younger with prams and wot-not and C-max would be better when a bit older and didn't need to lug quite so much stuff around whilst doing it all one handed and in a hurry.

Mate just bought a Mazda (6 I think) estate as their first baby car, which is cavernous and well speced, but a bit too big for my tastes around town.

As a father with a newborn, you won't need to worry about its bike carrying capacity for a while 😉

mtbfix

As a point of note we already have a 407 saloon. Just the Mazda will not make sense so we are replacing that. I think I'll have to take a bundle of notes out with me on Saturday and just go bite the bullet on whatever goes well and has a useful boot.

As a father with a newborn, you won't need to worry about its bike carrying capacity for a while

You are spoiling my efforts at hiding from the inevitable.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

when did 2 seater sports cars ever make sense?

I've just bought a midget so my judgement on that matter is as clouded as the weather today!

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

We replaced the misses little hatchback with a Scenic … I know what everybody says but honestly we have had no issues & it is brilliant for families, little cubbyholes & draws everywhere, a second rear view mirror so you can see the kids in the back etc etc .. we have taken it down through france for skiing trips as well & no dramas

mtbfix

Scenic has bags of appeal and lots of them about but the feed back is 50/50. I know buying used is always a bit of a risk but some tales of woe have put me off.

uplink
    Free Member

i've got a bathroom suite in mine

Handy, I suppose

epicsteve
    Free Member

Obviously a FIAT MPV would be unlikely to get out of the garage before breaking down

We had one of the Ulysses MPV's for 8 years and it wasn't that bad. Ok it was no Honda but it didn't spend much time in the garage getting fixed and was generally quite reliable – certainly better than the Fords, Vauxhalls and Audi's we've had. Als a great bike carrier, and reasonable to drive.

Of course it wasn't actually built my Fiat(it came out of a joint Citroen, Peugot and Fiat factory).

epicsteve
    Free Member

I know a few people with Scenics and they do seem to have had their problems. The auto box seems particularily unreliable so possibly best to avoid that.

Personally I'd be more inclined to by a normal estate now – Accord diesel probably.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Dirt cheap = Peugeot 406 estate.

zarquon
    Free Member

handy I suppose

when you are putting in a new bathroom suite,er, yes

chakaping
    Free Member

Going from an MX5 to an MPV?

You're going to want to kill yourself.

At least get something pleasant to drive, like the above-mentioned Mondeo.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Honest John is your friend when it comes to impartial reviews.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk

Can't really go wrong with a focuss/mondeo in my opinion – cheap, reliable and they drive far better than anyone who doesn't owwn one would care to admit..

uplink
    Free Member

when you are putting in a new bathroom suite,er, yes

WWWhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooooooooshhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Tracey

Got a MX5 Christmas 1994 only to find out I was pregnant, our other car was a Carina estate. Still kept my MX5 for two years, Katie loved it, even with the top down. Only got rid when I was pregnant again.
    If you have another car I would be tempted to keep it and at least try it out

Tracey

mtbfix

Tracey – could you get a kiddy seat in the Mazda? My Mum has suggested that we keep it as she regrets selling their GT6 when I was born, to this day.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘2nd hand car, user reviews’ is closed to new replies.