Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 334 total)
  • 2nd EU Referendum Petition…..
  • footflaps

I hate Labour, never vote for them but if they win an election I take it on the chin, it would be nice to see some grace from the people who lost the Remain campaign.

When has a general election caused a 2 $trillion share write down and caused the biggest ever one day fall in the £?

This goes way beyond party politics, it’s a seismic event and will have seismic consequences (e.g. Port Talbot has just become the first casualty). 1000s will lose their jobs in the next few months, maybe 500k+ in the next year. This is going to be worse than any crash in my lifetime.

It is the single most moronic decision ever taken.

People will forget about IDS and benefit cuts or Thatcher and big bang, they will look back and wonder who the f*** chose to torpedo their economy when it had only just dragged itself out of a major recession.

aracer
    Free Member

FFS can you seriously not see the difference between this and an election that is held every 5 years?

Making the wild assumption that he’s a Leave voters, I suspect a lot of them have no concept of the magnitude of this vote

PrinceJohn

I hate Labour, never vote for them but if they win an election I take it on the chin, it would be nice to see some grace from the people who lost the Remain campaign.

You only have to live with that decision for 5 years max, or less of the party doesn’t tow Rupert’s official line.

This is screwing over our kids, their kids & their kids, kids.

rkk01
    Free Member

Lol, yes let’s force through something to reverse what was a perfectly democratic process…..jesus wept, the crying over the result is unreal.

FFS This is not a GE with a 4-5 yr cycle.

This is FOREVER.

“Take Back Control” is utter bollocks. We had control*, but we will be an irrelevance.
    This is not going to put the Great back into GREAT BRITAIN – it will diminish us in the world.

* as being expressed at the moment regarding implementing Article 50 – nothing to do with EU, purely down to the Sovereign Govt of the U.K.

dazh

Given the avalanche of people in the papers and on social media who are now regretting their out vote I think the penny is beginning to drop. Cameron’s is going to go down as the single most disastrous premiership in history. Gordon Brown and the ghost of Neville Chamberlain must be laughing their tits off.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

2.2 million people sulking because they didnt get their own way !!
    sometimes people lose and sometimes people win … its called life !

Northwind

I’m staying out of the main EU threads (I was on holiday and missed the last week, excellent idea) but I think this part of it is pretty interesting… Because from nowhere, the Denial Remainer has become the most annoying subclass of all. My brother’s leading it out with a killer combo of “people didn’t know what they were voting for” and “It’s Labour’s fault for not making their voters vote Remain”. Which, coincidentally, is pretty much exactly what you should tell a Labour Leaver if you want to convince them they’re right. It’s actually worse than the 45 Tossers.

Quite neat, this- we’ve gone from a referendum where I thought both options were pretty shit, to an aftermath where both sides also seem to be shit.

Having said that, there’s a lot of fun to be had with Farage on this, since he specifically said a 48/52 split would be “unfinished business by a long way”, when he thought it’d be his side that got 48 😆

dannybgoode

2.2m people sulking because they have had their citizenship forcibly removed from them, because they are no longer allowed to be European, no longer able to pursue their political ideals.

Not just because they ‘lost’ a meaningless vote…

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Civil War!

Dig up Cromwell lol.

Whatever happens, I hope Britain prospers in a Spock sort of way.

Signed the petition and voted stay for the good of the economy and United Federation of planets in case the Klingons attack.

aracer
    Free Member

Good point, England won at cricket yesterday so it’s all back in balance. Actually maybe it’s even better than that, given a cricket match is probably more important than whether or not we’re in the EU.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Let’s end this pathetic Out nonsense.

@bikebouy I think you’ve totally lost the plot. Remain lost you need to move on, thats what the country will be doing, moving forward.

mikey74
    Free Member

😆

Keep a very close eye on the chap behind Farage …. oh yes! he went there!!! #eureferendumFrom Brussels, with love xwww.imossi.london

Posted by imossi london on Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Watch the bloke behind.

samunkim
    Free Member

Why do you all keep slagging off the Brexit voters as stupid & keep bragging about how your university degree’s make you some kind of elite. When this whole thing has been set up by your very best for your very best. You should be happy.

PS Corbyn doesn’t own left wing voters & a re-vote would see a proper alliance between UKIP and (anti coach-ticket immigration) lefties. You really want that ?

rkk01
    Free Member

sometimes people lose and sometimes people win … its called life !

Err, what exactly has been won?

The self-determination to preside over the biggest economic collapse the country has seen.

Two options available:

1) a slow hand clap for the “winners”,
    2) try to stop this monumental fwk up

philxx1975
    Free Member

Welcome to the modern UK.

Expertise is to be ignored.

Facts and truth are negotiable.

Debating is just a matter of shouting, “Rubbish!”

Ignorance is a virtue.

Serious matters are treated with as much consideration as Britain’s Got Talent.

The ultimate in dumbing down.

Terrible

funniest comment so far

You’re implying causation from correlation. You’re implying that the reason your mortgage is paid off at 45 is because you’re all that. In reality (and I’m making assumptions here based upon your username) The only thing you are is old. Old enough to have bought when access to the property ladder was easy, when migration and increasing house prices worked for you and now that it has, you’d like to raise the drawbridge. Despite being only 41, you’re statistic put you firmly in the 55+ category where, debts and mortgage are paid and problems in the economy don’t really affect you, so the rest of us be damned

And you think being an angry shouty little man is going to change your misfortune , yes as you get older you realise things like suck it up chum you lucked out , and no why would I care about you and your situation it has no effect on me, I was going to say you’ll live but by the sounds of your little rant your blood pressure will probably give you a coronary, that’s life the fact your small and insignificant is part of it.

Oh and as mentioned previously I dont have a dog in the race and I didnt vote My other home is in Edinburgh so I’m covered.

Junkyard
    Free Member

thats what the country will be doing, moving forward.

Its not necessarily forward we will be moving but i agree the direction has been set and folk need to move on

The only way for a new vote is after negotiations and only then if enough Leave voters feel cheated but that won’t happen as everything they said they will do will happen and everything everyone else predicted wont come to pass
    Can you remind me how the markets moved forward into this new utopia 😉

somafunk

why would I care about you and your situation it has no effect on me

Says it all bout your leave vote eh?, here you go……have an eye roll 🙄

Ahh I see you followed up with an edit, I can do that as well, so u didn’t bother to vote on the greatest political situation of our generation?, well done, have a lollipop to fill the void

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Signed.

Cheers O.P.

Don’t think it will make a difference though.

BTW I wanted to vote out for myself as it doesn’t effect me.
    I voted stay in so other people wouldn’t lose their jobs and the economy would be ok.

ferrals
    Free Member

[Quote] Frankenstein – Member
    Civil War[/quote]

To be honest, the number of posts/comments etc I’ve seen talking about wanting to fight / riot etc about this I wouldn’t be surprised. Thankfully as it’s the liberals that have lost the worst that will happen is people having edame beans pea-shooters do at them.

Funny thing is a lot of people whinging now are the same people who voted Tory at the general election.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Probably right ^^^

igm

Philxxx1975 – you are right that we are all individually insignificant, me, you, all of us. But one does what one can. After all all it takes for evil to flourish is that good men do nothing.

In a parliamentary democracy, the game ain’t over yet, and until it is we keep on trying to makes sure that we get a good result.

igm

Even if you think you’re insignificant (you are) sign the petition.

The referendum was advisory, not binding.

The more signatures there are the more confidence MPs will have to do the right thing, act in voters real interests and persuade government not to trigger Article 50.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Whats going to happen if You do get a 2nd referendum chance and you lose that as well ??
    spose the do-gooders will still moan and bitch and set up another petition !

thv3
    Free Member

BBC coverage

Now picked up on the BBC

philxx1975
    Free Member

Says it all bout your leave vote eh?, here you go……have an eye roll

Ahh I see you followed up with an edit, I can do that as well, so u didn’t bother to vote on the greatest political situation of our generation?, well done, have a lollipop to fill the void

No I will selfishly admit. As with the referendum you can vote you can make your decision but unlike shouty man you dont seem to have judged with malice, so your good mannered criticism is ok in my book.

mikey74
    Free Member

I don’t want a 2nd referendum. I didn’t want the first one. The only purpose the petition should serve is to show the powers that be (both home and abroad) that people still feel passionately about staying in the EU.

dannyh
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    When has a general election caused a 2 $trillion share write down and caused the biggest ever one day fall in the £?

This goes way beyond party politics, it’s a seismic event and will have seismic consequences (e.g. Port Talbot has just become the first casualty). 1000s will lose their jobs in the next few months, maybe 500k+ in the next year. This is going to be worse than any crash in my lifetime.

People will forget about IDS and benefit cuts or Thatcher and big bang, they will look back and wonder who the f*** chose to torpedo their economy when it had only just dragged itself out of a major recession.

POSTED 56 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

One of the best posts I’ve seen so far, and I’m happy to see someone as exasperated and pissed off as I am.

Gove actually said “we’re tired of experts” and probably gained popularity as a result. This would be hilarious if it was just a black comedy, but this is real. The morons who voted for this self-immolation will, in general, probably be the worst hit by it. The contradictions, ironies and sheer stupidity of this decision are breathtaking.

Now we’re going to be treated to lectures on how we just need to have faith and keep trying.

Just like this guy:

oldnpastit

I signdd, but back in the real world we have to just get on with making the best of this monumental cock-up. It would be no bad thing though for bojo and co to swing in the wind for a bit. Preferably literally.

mikey74
    Free Member

I love that guy, and the Road Runner.

dannyh
    Free Member

I love that guy, and the Road Runner

Me too. I’m not sure about scaling the basic pretence of the cartoon up to a national level is such a good idea, though.

mikey74
    Free Member

Probably not.

woody74

The reason why a second referendum would be good is that all the IN supporters like me would get off are arses this time and campaign locally as to why the EU is good and how locally people will loose out if we leave. Both Cornwall and Yorkshire councils are asking government to confirm they will still get the same level of funding as they did from the EU. There is a reason they needed EU funding in the first place and the south east doesn’t. Central government doesn’t care about you and never has, so why do you thiink they will now give you tons of money now. This is the sad fact that the poorest areas voted out but they probably get the most funding out of the EU.

mdavids
    Free Member

the losing “side” should suck it up and move on…

I see this is becoming the post Brexit “take back control”

Still nothing to offer but soundbites and slogans, no answers, no plans in place, nothing to offer the half of the country with genuine fears for their future except more bullshit and spite. And the glorious leaders of the leave campaign conspicuous by their absence, last seen looking like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

“Lets take back control”
    “You lost get over it”

Nothing but Trumpisms from the ‘I’m alright jacks’ and those too thick to realise they’ve probably just **** up the economy.

cchris2lou

Trouble is no politician from Leave campaign seem to be interested in taking the lead on proceedings .

Are they on holiday ?

aracer
    Free Member

We’ll probably have to accept that there really are a majority of turkeys who will still vote for Christmas even when they’ve seen the menu, the oven is heating up, their heads are on the block and they can see the cook about to bring down the cleaver.

I think a lot of the people signing though have seen all the regretful Leavers and/or are expecting that some of the forecast bad stuff will happen (I mean plenty of it already is) and so make it obvious to many other Leavers that it wasn’t just scare stories.

Though I tend to agree that the point of it isn’t to actually have another referendum.

rkk01
    Free Member

I don’t want a 2nd referendum. I didn’t want the first one. The only purpose the petition should serve is to show the powers that be (both home and abroad) that people still feel passionately about staying in the EU.

Agree with the sentiment, but would add:
    – and to put pressure on MPs to seriously debate any Article 50 Bill and to do the right thing for the interests of this Country

aracer
    Free Member

We need suggestions on what will be next. I predict “this wasn’t supposed to happen”

Daffy

And you think being an angry shouty little man

I’m neither shouty nor shorty and in general, I’m certain most would descibe me as quite quiet and amiable, but you can bet your bollocks to a barn dance that on this issue alone, I’m quite angry.

and no why would I care about you and your situation it has no effect on me

How can you possibly be so egotistical about this? Can you really be so obtuse to have considered the referendum merits based solely about how it effects YOU right now at this moment? It was about everyone, for a generation or more.

Oh and as mentioned previously I dont have a dog in the race and I didnt vote My other home is in Edinburgh so I’m covered.

Stop talking about dogs and races; This isn’t a game!

Please stop dropping your oh-so-subtle hints of wealth and financial security; You’re sorted – we get it.

dazh

This has been spreading like wildfire on Facebook….

From the guardians comments section:

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legistlation to be torn up and rewritten … the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-maneouvered and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over – Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession … broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was “never”. When Michael Gove went on and on about “informal negotiations” … why? why not the formal ones straight away? … he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

philxx1975
    Free Member

And you think being an angry shouty little man
    I’m neither shouty nor shorty and in general, I’m certain most would descibe me as quite quiet and amiable, but you can bet your bollocks to a barn dance that on this issue alone, I’m quite angry.

and no why would I care about you and your situation it has no effect on me
    How can you possibly be so egotistical about this? Can you really be so obtuse to have considered the referendum merits based solely about how it effects YOU right now at this moment? It was about everyone, for a generation or more.

Stop talking about dogs and races; This isn’t a game!

Please stop dropping your oh-so-subtle hints of wealth and financial security; You’re sorted – we get it.

Are you done because your making yourself look a bit silly.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 334 total)

The topic ‘2nd EU Referendum Petition…..’ is closed to new replies.