Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 334 total)
  • 2nd EU Referendum Petition…..
  • thv3
    Free Member

2nd EU Referendum Petition

Currently has approaching 1.7 million signatures and rising.

So, obviously a lot of the signatures will be from the remain camp, but just how many signatures do you think it would take to actually make a difference?

BTW, don’t think it will ever happen, but curious never the less

philxx1975
    Free Member

What if they don’t get 16 million signatures

Smacks a bit of sore loser somewhere trying to move goalposts to win no?

5thElefant
    Free Member

15,188,406 just voted to leave, so at least 15,188,407 I guess.

footflaps

The only thing which might get a 2nd referendum is if the markets really crucify the £ next week. Say we get to below 1 Euro, then Boris etc might realise they’ve bitten off more than they can chew and look for a way out.

cranberry
    Free Member

This is really the one of the worst aspects of Generation Snowflake laid bare.

A generation of pampered, self-absorbed kidults who are certain that somehow their vote must be worth more than one of someone who has a different opinion.

Do give me a shout when the petition gets to 17,410,742 17,410,743. Until then it is just the unedifying spectacle of would-be grown ups threatening to “scweem and scweem and scweem until I’m sick”.

footflaps

Don’t be so harsh on yourself!

seosamh77
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    The only thing which might get a 2nd referendum is if the markets really crucify the £ next week.

The pound will bounce up and down all over the shop for the next few months imo. Watch as jubilation and fear take hold numerous times over the next few months.

footflaps

I doubt we’ll see any major swings until we start to see the terms of staying in the Euro Trading Zone etc as that is pretty much the key issue. If they insist on Schengen and Boris says Never, then the £ will really tank, whereas if he goes ‘ok’, it’s pretty much business as usual for the economy.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I think the ‘would be’ grown ups are thinking about their long term futures and are justifiably angry and upset over this. It appears for them to be another kick in the teeth for their generation, and they are the ones paying for mistakes of the previous generation.

I am one of those.

Chew
    Free Member

What happened to democracy???

Its not the result I was hoping for, but I’m happy to accept that its the view of the majority.

….Next stop, North Korea……

footflaps

It appears for them to be another kick in the teeth for their generation, and they are the ones paying for mistakes of the previous generation.

Well, to be fair, everyone is going to pay for Brexit, so for once, we’re all in it together 🙂

What happened to democracy???

Its not the result I was hoping for, but I’m happy to accept that its the view of the majority.

Nothing, doesn’t mean you have to like it and doesn’t mean you can’t try and change it? After all, why have a GE every 4/5 years; you could just have one and say that’s it, for ever…….

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Very true, but I think we feel as though we will be picking up the pieces for the rest of our lives potentially.

igm

Given the difference between remain and leave was only 1.25 million, most MPs are remain, and generally remaining is is seen as better for jobs and prosperity, it’s going to be interesting.

footflaps

it’s going to be interesting.

In a sort of sticking pins in your eyes kind of way 😉

Very true, but I think we feel as though we will be picking up the pieces for the rest of our lives potentially.

Yep, if you’re under 30 you’re pretty much screwed. Only you’re more screwed post Brexit than before, but you were screwed anyway, so it’s really just a technicality.

PrinceJohn

A generation of pampered, self-absorbed kidults who are certain that somehow their vote must be worth more than one of someone who has a different opinion.

There was less than 2 million votes in it. If this was a general election that is not a big enough majority for one party to be in power, why should it be enough (either way) to make a decision arguably bigger than any general election?

dmorts

It’s unfortunate that the wording of the petition makes little or no sense…

EU Referendum Rules triggering a 2nd EU Referendum

We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum.

Chew
    Free Member

There was less than 2 million votes in it. If this was a general election that is not a big enough majority for one party to be in power, why should it be enough (either way) to make a decision arguably bigger than any general election?

It doesnt matter if it was 2 million or 2 votes which decided the result.
    Those were the rules and if people wanted it to be different (a la that petition) that should have been set out before hand.

Trying to change the rules after the event isnt really democracy.

imnotverygood

The problem with this sort of referendum (and with Indyref for example) is that for one side: The Leave/Yes side, the question can be revisited later. For the other, the result is definitive & final. Britain will not be able to rejoin the EU once we have left. There is an imbalance between the two options.
    In a General Election you may be stuck with the government for a few years, but you can pretty much reverse anything if you want to enough next time out.
    I don’t think it is unreasonable to say that when the change in question is a fundamental, irreversible decsion, then you need more than just a 50.1% majority. In a lot of countries a constitutional change requires a minimum level of support. Apart from anything else, it allows for a relatively small percentage of people changing their minds/having second thoughts

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Is it truly democratic that with such a close vote, millions of young people and their views have been ignored?

igm

There were rules before hand.

The rules said the referendum was advisory not binding.

No rule change necessary.

Correct me if I got that wrong.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Remember that time Nigel Farage said 52-48 votes should lead to second referendum?

footflaps

Nope. We’ve also not invoked article 50 yet, so nothing has actually happened other than the £ tanking and $2T global sell off…..

It was a Referendum no one was supposed to actually vote yes to, we were all supposed to say no and the Tory part Euro-sceptics would be shut down for a year or to and we all go back to our normal lives.

We were never actually supposed to pull the trigger (whilst staring down the barrel of the gun)!

dmorts

In a lot of countries a constitutional change requires a minimum level of support. Apart from anything else, it allows for a relatively small percentage of people changing their minds/having second thoughts

Anyone sane would say a 2/3 majority is needed for decisions of this scale…

richinbish
    Free Member

The Leave campaign is wrong to say there’ll be a 2nd referendum if we vote to remain in the EU. This is a referendum and not a neverendum.

Taken from Mr Cameron’s Twitter feed from a month ago , now deal with the but hurt and get on with your lives

thv3
    Free Member

I think that’s my take, even if they get 18 million (which it won’t), it’s not as if it can be swept under the carpet, Cameron come back and start the whole process again.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s more likely that it’ll just not happen due to subsequent events, than that there’ll be another referendum, IMO.

Oh, and…

It’s unfortunate that the wording of the petition makes little or no sense…

cranberry
    Free Member

@HoratioHufnagel

Farrage was wrong to claim that and had the result been reversed he wouldn’t have got a 2nd referendum – it simply wouldn’t have happened. It won’t happen now either – a simple question was put to the electorate, they voted, the decision is made.

joepose
    Free Member

If it had of been an up to date on line poll in the first place we would still be in. 75% of the younger generation that voted, voted in but only 43% of them voted.

igm

The referendum is advisory, not binding.

Now in the absence of anything else the government would be expected to follow it.

However on a very close result things get interesting.

The petition forces a parliamentary debate. MPs generally favour remain.

If I debating a close result they come to the conclusion that on balance, after taking the views of the public into account, and effects on national security and stability into account, break up of the United Kingdom into account etc, etc, an Article 50 move is unwise, then the government can make that call.

No rules broken. Decision made.

If.

ps44
    Free Member

Check when it was created. People had plenty of time to back this before the event if they were so concerned.

footflaps

The referendum is advisory, not binding.

One can pray 🙂

Just need the £ to really tank next week and stay low and the MPs will soon realise they have no choice but to stay.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above Referemdum was advisory. If govt thought it could ignore it it would have done so.

It doesn’t matter if they get 20 million signatures. The only poll/petition that matters was on the 23rd

As an aside I heard on the radio that of the 2 million people who registered online in the 2 extra days it was thought a big chunk didn’t actually vote on the day. Being heard in a democracy involves actually getting off your @rse and making an effort

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Have been sent the link by 4 people today. Cant see the point.

We have had the referendum and the result is known. Now as much as I am angry that it has been won on the basis of deceitful lies and xenophobia, that is irrelevant, we have to move on. Acceptance time.

Having said that I think if matters become chaotic here and in Europe, then there is a very real chance that some kind of deal might be offered – there are only losers here. At that point, it may become interesting.

Until then, we juts have to get on with life. Shit happens….at least we are in no doubt about where the responsibility lies this time!!

chakaping
    Free Member

igm – Them’s the lines I was thinking along.

I’ve been on the receiving end of some big electoral disappointments in my time – but this one feels very different.

There’s a real sense of “WTF have we done” and mixed in with the Leave campaign lies and the economic effects, I really wouldn’t be surprised if parliament makes an executive decision.

footflaps

Shit happens….at least we are in no doubt about where the responsibility lies this time!!

Immigrants Jeremy Corbyn Nigel Farrage Morons David Cameron?

igm

Jamba – you hope one way, I’ll hope another. The honest answer is I personally will probably be ok either way. Not so for my children’s opportunities or a lot of other people who will lose out with remain.

Cameron couldn’t ignore it because he specifically said he would trigger A50 immediately. Which is probably why he walked / is walking. It creates space.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

It is irresponsible I feel just to say, ‘yep, the result is done, we just have to move on’. No we don’t. It was the most important decision of our lifetime. It isn’t like an election, where it is 5 years, then we can have another go.

chakaping
    Free Member

Oh, and the current government has proved time and again that it has no problem breaking its promises to the public.

Harry_the_Spider

It doesn’t matter. We have to suck it up and move on. The people have spoken.

I however will be knitting by the guillotine when Boris, Gove, Farage and Co. get found out. Never forget June 23rd. Ever.

footflaps

Which is probably why he walked / is walking

Apparently he said:

“Why should I do all the hard s**t for someone else, just to hand it over to them on a plate?”

You could argue that he created this f*** up, so he can fix it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-brexit-resignation-david-cameron-reportedly-asks-aides-why-should-i-do-the-hard-st-a7102431.html

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 334 total)

The topic ‘2nd EU Referendum Petition…..’ is closed to new replies.