Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • £2k to fix my roof – holy cow, that can't be right – can it?
  • monkeyp

Does this sound a bit steep?

– erect scaffold on 1 gable end
    – re-bed verge tiles on one side
    – re-bed ridge tiles
    – clean off the moss from roof, clean gutters and spray with fungicide

I will get more quotes, but this is twice what I was expecting to be honest.

monkeyp

Sorry – wrong forum – I know – must be in shock!

RevWill
    Free Member

I can't help you with your quote, but I have a statutory notice to repair mine. My share of an 8-way split is £16k!

Which I don't have. :/

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Could be about right, its £10k to re-tile a terraced house, and I imagine as with everything, doing 20% of the work is 80% of the time.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

What problems are you experiencing with your roof? Are any tiles actually missing or badly cracked? Nothing wrong with moss on the roof, and you do not need to spray it with fungicide

tinsy
    Free Member

Where you based, I have a tame roofer in Essex, whatever he quotes is the right price.. mail me if you need a number.

souldrummer
    Free Member

I am due to have work done on my roof to stop a couple of leaks. This will require digging out old mortar, doing lead work and a lot of re-pointing at the very least. Scaffolder has quoted £500 for a tower front and back of a mid-terraced house, the rear of which they have to access via next door's garden; so that quote seems pretty reasonable. Builder is £180 per day and then by the time you add the cost of lead (expensive), sand, cement and other stuff I am expecting a total bill of about £2k. On that basis your quote doesn't seem too bad, although I'm not sure why they feel the need to get rid of the moss unless it's causing issues with blocked guttering and down pipes.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

had similar work done, £1000 but I paid £500 excess and claimed on the insurance, the builder told the insurance company it was storm damage… win win

scotabroad

sounds pricey to me unless its a very high house which requires a lot of scaffold, about a grand sounds right.

monkeyp

The moss removal is £300 of the quote – and it is quite bad an is risking blocking up the gutters (which are prefab concrete gutters which seem to block quite easily and are a pain to clean).

I am based near Kidderminster if anyone knows a good roofer.

It's a pretty standard edition 3 bed semi ex-council property

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Given the fact you posted this in the BIKE forum my guess is they saw your coming.

By the way £2k is cheap if your roof is massive, but expensive if its small. It cost £400 to fix a piece of roof at my house (7'x 3') and that was mates rates.

carlosg
    Free Member

I had my roof replaced (3 bed semi) 3 years ago including 2 velux windows it cost me 4K , somebody on my post round just had theirs replaced at the same time as their adjoining neighbour(possibly making it cheaper) and it's cost them 3.8K.

takisawa2

its £10k to re-tile a terraced house

My mate paid £10k for the shell of his 5-bed house.
    Roofs can be pricey though, tiles especially so.
    And truss companies take the mick also, get a couple of joiners & build in situ.

I'd have said £1k tops for the OP's job.
    And whats with this craze for moss removal & fungiciding these days ?
    Wifes Dad had two Irish guys pressure wash his roof a few weeks ago, cost £120. Surprisingly they only broke one tile.

billysan
    Free Member

I had a similar quote. ended up buying my own aluminium tower scaffold for a grand and doing it myself. Have since rented the scaffold out to various friends at a reasonable price and its nigh on paid for itself!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

thats what the big sign said in sheffield, somethign allong the lines of "any terraced house tilled for £10k"

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Moss on the roof is not a problem and doesn't block gutters. It does occasionally come off, and can then block them. Unless your roof is leaking or damaged, buy a decent ladder for £100 and get up there and clear the gutters when needed.

The reason people are told that moss needs to be cleared and roofs sprayed is purely cowboy workmen trying to scare people into paying for something they don't need

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘£2k to fix my roof – holy cow, that can't be right – can it?’ is closed to new replies.