Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • 2k max budget, what would you buy?
  • lee170
    Free Member

I’ve got upto 2k max to buy a new bike, I’ve always been a hardtail person but I’m now 36 and the possibility of riding a ht when I’m 40 worries me slightly.
    So do I take the plunge and get a full suss?
    I’ve been looking at the orange crush am for a while now, but it’s a ht and I wonder whether it’s wiser to buy fs.

I’m after a bike that goes up as easy as down,
    27.5 or 29 I’m fine with.
    Mainly trail centres and moorlands, guisborough forest is my local riding spot.
    Not a massive air chaser! But I do like to do drop offs and what have you. Nothing stupidly high though(chicken run for me)

So do I go for a short travel big wheel trail bike?
    Longer travel trail bike?
    I would be best looking at last years models for discount and better spec for my buck.

Any ideas??

devash
    Free Member

2014 Specialized Camber Evo with a bit of change spare.

£1600

paule
    Free Member

If you’re after a bouncy 29er, Paul’s cycles have plenty of cannondale ones from ’13 and ’14 at half price or just over. Mostly small or medium though (so no use to me at 6’2!)

mrhoppy

Canyon Spectral, really solid do anything bikes, spec is better than most sale bikes tbh.

lee170
    Free Member

Spesh is an option I’ll have a look at that,
    Cannondale triggers don’t get great reviews and the rush looks a bit naff now.
    Canyon I like and the spec is unreal for the money, long waiting times and a nightmare if I have a problem with the bike.

muggomagic

Have a look at the Bird Aeris. The Aeris 3 starts around £1500 but you can spec it up a bit if you like.

Sundayjumper

I finally tried a FS in my mid-thirties after years of being convinced I was a HT person. Do it. It’ll be heavier and ride very differently but I just found it to be more *fun*. So now my HT almost never gets used.

That Camber looks good but I’m a Spesh fanboi so I would say that 🙂

Try and get a decent test ride or borrow something from a friend to see what FS is like. If there’s even an outside chance of hating it then better to find out before blowing £2k.

mrblobby
    Free Member

possibility of riding a ht when I’m 40 worries me slightly.

Riding a big comfy sofa of a full suss bike will make you lazy and old. Stick with the HT.

lee170
    Free Member

I’ll def check out the camber, my lbs bikescene is a spesh dealer to

Northwind

I’d buy a specialized enduro 29er, or a used remedy 29, or I’d check out a BMC Trailfox. But they’re all monster trucks

devash
    Free Member

Yeah Bike Scene are on the ball. I have family in Guisborough so pop in there quite regularly for bits and pieces. They’ve got the new Whyte T-129 in at the moment which is another one to check out but slightly over your budget.

whitestone
    Free Member

Well at nearly 56 I’m finding a HT fine for what I do but I’d be on a FS if I did more or mostly trail centre riding.

The Cube and Canyon bikes look good value and a lot of people rave about the Giant Anthem. Not a lot of specifics sorry.

Whichever YT Capra fits your budget with the current exchange rate. You won’t get better vfm. You may have to wait a little while though

iainc

Not dissimilar wish list here and last week bought a Giant Anthem SX. I wanted something that climbs well but would be a bit more forgiving than my Soul on rockier descents. Have only ridden it twice and so far it fits my needs perfectly.

poey50
    Free Member
    johnny5
    Free Member

poey50,

have looked at this… how are you getting on with it?

did you try one first/ find any good reviews or did you just take a punt…?

as you say, very tempting….
    is the 0% finance available if u r a uk buyer?

warpcow
    Free Member

I’d be looking at a Bird Aeris or a Rose Root Miller (base model with shock and fork upgraded to Pike and Monarch+ would still come in £500 under budget, with no dropper).

dmorts

The Orange Crush is a beefy(ish) framed HT. I had one, really great fun for blasting for 2 hours round a trail centre but in no way comfy! Short travel FS 29er instead?

poey50
    Free Member

“poey50,

have looked at this… how are you getting on with it?”

I spent 5 months researching the best deal for me and I am exceptionally pleased with it. At 130mm travel front and rear (for a 29er) it would suit you needs pretty well. There are reviews if you search for them and cut and paste the German into an online translator. They are pretty similar to the Canyon Spectral but beats it on price. The Radon tracks the falling euro whereas the Canyon has a fixed UK price which is not so favourable.

The problem is you can’t sit on one in advance. This wasn’t a problem for me as I am 6 feet five inches and needed the 22inch. But you can check the measurements against a bike that you know will fit you.

Edit: Sorry, thought I was addressing the OP in this post.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If it was my money I would get either a Rose Uncle Jimbo or a Codeine but that is because I like to do Enduro races and that sort of stuff.

If I was you I would probably get a Root Miller, Granite Chief or Codeine.

ahwiles
    Free Member

lee170 – Member
    …the possibility of riding a ht when I’m 40 worries me slightly…

why?

lee170
    Free Member

Back ache old age(ish)
    I think I’ll be better off on full suss sooner rather than later. Don’t get me wrong I still love hardtails and will probably build one up for winter months

AlexSimon

Some of the suggestions above are quite downhill-biased.
    I’d try and get a feel for what wheelsize you fancy and what length travel by doing some demos.
    There’s no way I’d put you on a Capra for example given your OP.

lee170
    Free Member

Yeah true, I just want a trail bike that’s capable of climbing without losing a lung!
    Also enough travel to get me down without feeling underbiked

Seriously considering a spesh camber evo
    29 inch wheels and 120mm travel.
    Given the big wheels I reckon there’s enough travel there.

Bregante

That Camber looks a decent buy. And yes 120 mm 29er should more than suffice for what you describe (I have a gyro with 120/110 travel for reference)

29ers however don’t suit everybody and I’d recommend getting a test ride before you take the plunge.

igm

Back ache?

Rigid single speed is the answer. That and never sitting down on the bike.

monkeychild
    Free Member

The back ache on a HT thing makes no sense. But get a FS if it’s your bag. I sold my FS when I was 36 for a 29er HT.

mrblobby
    Free Member

The back ache on a HT thing makes no sense.

Agree with this. If you are having back trouble then spend the £2k on a good physio and/or a personal trainer!

lee170
    Free Member

I just associate back pain with getting older!!
    I don’t have any pain

ahwiles
    Free Member

lee170 – Member
    Back ache old age(ish)

dude, you’re 36.

you’ve got at least 20 years before you’re allowed to play the ‘old age’ card. Even then, you don’t need much care to sail into your 60’s still kicking arse.

a friend of mine is now 70, she’s just started Dh racing.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Would say that as you get older (and 36 is not old!) it is worth spending more of your time on core and flexibility. That will do far more to avoid backache (and likely improve your riding) than buying a FS ever will!

z1ppy

that ^^^ +1, start early to (as in now) to help prevent issues.
    Though get a FS anyways, as there just great fun.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

join BC, get a 10% off @ CRC code every month

buy this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-sting-120-race-29-suspension-bike-2014/rp-prod114161

using the code.

Buy a dropper post spend the rest of the money saved on some coaching and/or a foreign riding trip.

that’s what I’d do. And am thinking of doing despite owning a perfectly good 26″ FS’er.

jmatlock
    Free Member

You should go for the Camber Evo.
    It’s exceptional. Your Specialized dealer will knock 10% off, spend the discount on an command post.

Simply won’t be beaten sir.

timmys

Camber Evo sounds spot on. Short travel but with extra enslackness. It’s what I would go for give then brief.

Transition Smuggler would be a goer too but it’s more like £2800

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I ride at Guisborough a lot and my Camber does the job in the forest and up on the moors, down the rock garden etc.

noeljenkins

I’ve just brought a 2014 Camber Evo. I was looking for a slightly burlier replacement for a Trek ex8 that I destroyed on Quantocks and Exmoor downhills. I’d not ridden a 29er before but it took 30 mins to feel comfortable on the bike and since then I’ve been noticeably faster, both on climbs and descents. With a 50mm stem fitted it’s more agile than my old 26in bike but a dropper post is essential to get the feeling of riding in rather than on top of the bike on steeper DH sections.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Yeah Bike Scene are on the ball.

+1, call in & see Craggsy, Ian or Anthony, just say Jim the Geordie Yorkshireman sent you!

You won’t get better advice anywhere, (obviously they’ll only advise you on what they sell) but they’re a top bunch.

cookeaa

I’ve got upto 2k max to buy a new bike, I’ve always been a hardtail person but I’m now 36 and the possibility of riding a ht when I’m 40 worries me slightly.
    So do I take the plunge and get a full suss?
    I’ve been looking at the orange crush am for a while now, but it’s a ht and I wonder whether it’s wiser to buy fs.

I am about the same age as you OP I have owned a few bouncey bikes, just disassembled my previous one with no immediate plans to replace it, TBH the novelty wears off Eventually and practicality sets in…

I would never be without a decent HT, but I can live happily without an FS bike.

But if you must scratch the itch, don’t be drawn in by travel numbers, spec’ sheets or even weight comparisons, go by how it feels to ride, does it give a wee bit more confidence and speed over the same trials you ride your Ht on? is it actually comfortable to climb on? Simple but important stuff really.

Personal choice for me would be last year’s basic model process 134 for ~£1500 from winstanleys and £500 in the “when I break bits” fund… But that’s just me…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘2k max budget, what would you buy?’ is closed to new replies.