Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • 2hr ride and I feel fine. 3hr ride and I feel like poop. Why?
  • poppa
    Free Member

My most common type of ride is ~2hrs, fairly fast paced, regularly reaching near max. exertion, and I usually come home feeling a bit burnt out but invigorated.

If I go out for longer than this, say 3-4hrs, then I almost always end up feeling totally knackered when I get back, even if I try and pace myself. Is this simply because my muscles aren’t used to longer, more endurance based rides? Is it a ‘slow twitch’ thing? I nearly felt ill yesterday!

wwaswas

two things that worked for me;

1) thinking about nutrition and using a proper energy drink at the right concentration.

2) Skins cycling shorts.

in combination I’ve ridden a lot further, slightly faster this summer than I have any other year.

hels
    Free Member

Another vote for not eating/drinking enough…

(liking the idea of slow twitch muscles I think those must grow with age)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Your body only has enough sugar-type energy for 2 hours, you need to eat at that point.

JB
    Free Member

I expect the answer is simply that you’re running out of fuel… in reality you need to eat something every 20mins to keep the muscles stoked with enough fuel to keep working. As long as they have fuel (and water) they’ll work for as long as you want them too really.

foxyrider
    Free Member

yup drinking/energy – I am fine for 2 hours ride without drink and energy if its not hot and sunny and I am not racing around but if I go for a longer ride or is very intense I will take fluid and energy 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

1g of carbs for every kg of body weight per hour of exercise should see you fine.

glenh
    Free Member

Eat every half hour or so. Then you’ll be reet.

marc
    Free Member

I’d say it’s more muscle memory than scran.

I you “normally” do 2 hour burn outs you’ll be good at them and your body knows how to deal with it.

However, it doesn’t know when you’re going to double that time. Just do more 4 hour rides and it’ll get easier.

poppa
    Free Member

When I do the 2hr burn-outs, usually in a group, I tend to drink an energy/electrolyte drink. On the longer rides I think of them as being more chilled/recreational so tend just to drink water.

I do seem to need to constantly eat on them, and never seem to have enough food though… Yesterday I passed several apple trees and thought to myself ‘Oh, I could eat some apples if I run out of food!’.

Then I ran out of food and there were no more apple trees 🙁

I suspect food could be an issue…

mboy
    Free Member

I suspect food could be an issue…

You don’t say!

I get a similar problem, I run out of fuel at about 2 hours… Always make sure I carry some carbs with me though, and I’ve found the cheapest/easiest/most flavoursome way of getting loads of carbs in is Soreen Malt Loaf from the Co-op… 50p per loaf, and about 700 calories!

I always keep one in my Camelbak now as a just in case, and a few times they’ve saved me and/or other riders I’ve been out with.

monksie
    Free Member

marc – that’s not ‘muscle memory’. You’re referring to ‘adaptation’. The two are very different.

marc
    Free Member

I’m sure you’re right, I know what I meant but had no idea what it was called. 8)

foxyrider
    Free Member

What you need is bovine colostrum!!

oldgit
    Free Member

How old are you and how long have you been riding?
    From my own experience I can tell you that you can ride hard club pace for over three hours without food. And that two hour fast group rides only need water to stop my mouth drying out.
    Again IMOE younger up to mid twenties start fast and fade, older riders seem to do the opposite.
    Just a general observation.

clubber
    Free Member

From my own experience I can tell you that you can ride hard club pace for over three hours without food. And that two hour fast group rides only need water to stop my mouth drying out.

Wrong. You can tell him that YOU can do that, not him. I couldn’t – if I don’t eat on rides longer than about 1.5hrs, I’ll bonk very quickly. Ditto with drinking. Everyone’s different.

oldgit
    Free Member

I or a person can. Or it could be an age thing, from being brought up to ignore thirst and hunger. It is very bad indeed. I still come home from a 60-100 mile ride having only drank half a bottle. .

clubber
    Free Member

You can’t ignore thirst and hunger at least not from a performance point of view. That’s like saying that you can ignore not breathing…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

both me n Mr MC need to eat and drink regularly on ride outs. Having been used to 2 and a bit hour loops we have got into regularly riding 5hrs or so, but if we dont eat within maybe 90 minutes Mr MC especially is prone to “bonking” quite severely. I couldnt ride 9 miles on half a bottle of water let alone 90…

One of our riding buddies by contrast must be an energizer bunny and seems to be able to ride indefinitely.

marc
    Free Member

I do usually take water if I’m going out for over two hours, but I’ll only eat if it’s going to be around six hours. For 3 or 4 hours I wouldn’t bother.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Jeez if I go out cycling at 1000 having had breakfast then come 1230 I’m starving and need some food, so a cheeky sandwich and some eccles cake, malt loaf something like that. Yesterday on about 2 1/2 hours I drank about 2 1/2 litres! It’s crazy how different everyone else, but definately sounds like food is the key.

emac65
    Free Member

You quite often find people who don’t seem to drink or eat much are able to do this because they are fully hydrated when they start & have eaten plenty of good carbs leading upto the ride…

emac65
    Free Member

Double post ?

marc
    Free Member

You mean the double helping of porridge and pint of water for brekkie works? 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

You quite often find people who don’t seem to drink or eat much are able to do this because they are fully hydrated when they start & have eaten plenty of good carbs leading upto the ride…

My riding eating and drinking starts the night before. Then I get up early enough to have a good breakfast and get some drink down me. Then I try and fit my longer rides in as close as possible to the space between the usual time for eating breakfast and dinner. There’s no way on earth I can eat after a ride.
    It must be said though. I am well known for one, being a totally non technical rider. And two, for never taking sound well proven advice.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Nope, not matter how much I drink or eat the night before it won’t make any difference, I can guarantee after breakfast at 0800 whether it’s malt loaf, crumpets, oats with a banana after cycling I will be hungry at 1230.

poppa
    Free Member

Maybe body weight has something to do with calorie consumption too… ? If you weigh more you will need to burn more calories to propel yourself up a hill!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I’m no biff…….. I am a riding Goddess 😉

ChrisF
    Free Member

“It must be said though. I am well known for one, being a totally non technical rider. And two, for never taking sound well proven advice. “
    …And also well known for fading horribly at the end of long rides, especially when it is hilly :o)

emac65
    Free Member

Nope, not matter how much I drink or eat the night before it won’t make any difference, I can guarantee after breakfast at 0800 whether it’s malt loaf, crumpets, oats with a banana after cycling I will be hungry at 1230.

There’s your problem,you’re not eating enough….

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Okay so what else should I be eating then? But I don’t have a problem, I’m just saying come 1230 I need to eat, but I’m happy stopping for a pack up half way around a ride. No problems with it here!!

woool
    Free Member

Interesting thread.

I ride Kirroughtree a few times a year and recently it has always bollocked me around the twisty bit just after the Black Craigs dsecent, which ties in with about the 2-2.5 hour mark (Hansel and Gretel?). Was only consuming energy drink and bar, but reading this I maybe need to stop for something for substantial.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I usualy add a scoop of maltodextrin to my camelpack for every hour I’ll be out over 2 hours. Over 3 hours I’ll suplement that with cereal bars/flapjack/maltloaf/chocolate.

There’s an advert in 220Tri (or whatever its called) for an electrolyte drink (bloomin expensive salt tablets!) claiming 41% more fat burnt compared to a high carb energy drink based on 1 hours excecise. So presubably its ‘better’ to ride for the 1.5-2 hours then start ont eh carbs if your aim is weight loss?

nickc

Good breakfast, porridge for me. good hydration on the way to the ride, and a carb drink on the ride(either make your own, or use SIS, or similar) and a good source of low fat carb dense food ( fig rolls, energy bars, gels, Soreen) and sweeties for a sugar burn every now and again. And finally, sounds obvious, but the more longer rides you do, the more you’ll get used to doing them.

I am a riding Goddess

In order to claim riding godess status you need to join in with the singing… 😆

Keva
    Free Member

in reality you need to eat something every 20mins to keep the muscles stoked with enough fuel to keep working.

really ??

I don’t think so. Yes he’s probably running out of fuel but eating every 20mins seems a bit odd.

Just make sure the tank is full to start with and take a snack with you, simple as that. Take an energy bar or something if you want but personally I prefer a sarnie and keep an energy bar for when I’m really on the last legs… for me that stuff is just to ‘get me home’ if I’ve over cooked it too early on. Stop for a quick munch after a couple of hours and you should be fine for the rest of the ride.

Kev

BadlyWiredDog

I usualy add a scoop of maltodextrin to my camelpack for every hour I’ll be out over 2 hours.

Do you add it all at once?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

LOL @ NickC next time we are all out I can join in the sining . I particularly love 80’s …. will have to brush up on the Calvin Harris mind! Please confirm i’m no biff though ;-0 ………..

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘2hr ride and I feel fine. 3hr ride and I feel like poop. Why?’ is closed to new replies.