Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)
  • 2day I officially became middle aged Chinos What was your milestone to middleage
  • benp1

A few years ago, when I used to drive to work, I set the hourly beep on the clock in the car so I could change the radio to Radio 4 for the 8am news

I couldn’t take the rubbish news on Kiss 100

Worse still, I found myself continuing to listen after the news finished as the following interview was usually quite interesting

I knew that was the beginning of the end… Well I cycle in now so don’t listen to the radio at all

P-Jay
    Free Member

Coyote – Member
    Surely buying clothes from M&S indicate you’ve just retired?
    It certainly indicates that you’ve given up on life.

Why? They’re well-made, well priced, comfort….

Holy shit you’re right!

Mackem

Buying a pringle jumper and realising I had started dressing like my dad.

zippykona

It was probably having to buy my own pants for the first time. My mum normally gets them for me.
    I was 48.

tjagain

I stopped wearing trainers and jeans when I was a teenager. Combats trousers went shortly after.

I think I may have gone from first to second childhood without going thru middleaged.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Funnily enough I started thinking this morning about chopping in my high powered BMW for a Volvo xc90 with heated seats and windscreen as my car was like a block of ice. Decided there was no point in 300bhp as the roads are too congested.

That is Wisdom, not middle age!
    You are ready, Grasshopper.

binners

I think that it’s when your immediate response to the texted question from your mate ‘fancy a pint, or 5?’ Isn’t ‘hell yes! See you in ten!” But ‘actually there’s a documentary about eagles on BBC2 that I quite fancy watching. And it looks cold out there’

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

So, when your ears start getting bigger…?

zanelad
    Free Member

Spacers under the bars, not on top 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

I think I reached middle aged when I started really enjoying Midsomer Murders and Lewis, then became really grumpy if I missed an episode. It’s fine now of course, what with on demand and such.

Clothing, I once bought a Ralph Loren Polo Shirt in Pink, I thought I would look cool in it.. I wore it to the office on DDF only to find in a meeting with some Asset Mgt types that we were all wearing the same top. I died a little that day, donated it to charity the following day and decided I needed to wear more Grey, Black, Maroon, Plum, Navy – essentially more subdued colours. I’ve been that way everyday since.

slowoldman

Nowt wrong with M&S undies. Maybe I’ve always been middle aged.

Edukator
    Free Member

I sold my race hardtail and bought an “all mountain”.

matt_outandabout

2day I officially became middle aged Chinos What was your milestone to middleage

Sighing when I sit down.
    According to a colleague, she knew she was over 55 when she groaned when both standing up and sitting down… 😆

buckster
    Free Member

…and, involuntary grunting when bending over or getting up. Caring about what you write or read on an internet forum. And, not ‘getting’ social media

Edit, apologies ^, didnt see you’d added that already

digga
    Free Member

Eyebrows have gone feral in the last year or so. More the left one than right, so it can give rise to being greeted in the bathroom mirror of a morning by an amusingly angry/quizzical look.

I often wondered who’d do the mad eyebrows thing after Patrick Moore died. Turns out it’s going to be me.

IHN

When it dawns on you that someone you work with was born after you left school.

buckster
    Free Member

I could add in an MTB vein, seeing an X metre gap jump as a long term objective based upon concern resulting from a failed attempt/injury/bike damage. Rather than immediately pedaling like **** and ‘devil may care’ing it/who cares about the bike and I want a new job anyway as my boss is an arsehole’

pedroball
    Free Member

the first time the barber asked me if I’d like my eyebrows trimmed
    and going out on Saturday night, thinking I’d wear my chinos and a jacket with some smart shoes

mmannerr

As member of hairy ears club I wonder what crooked path of evolution has led to this feature, is it for keeping brains warm or blocking nasty sounds or something else?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Non-deliberate farting. You know, when alighting from a chair, picking up the mail, climbing into the loft etc.

whitestone
    Free Member

Age is only a problem when you use it as an excuse. 😳

Joel Friel (my smiley)

MrOvershoot

IHN – Member
    When it dawns on you that someone you work with was born after you left school.

When it dawns on you that someone you work with was born after you started your present job.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Being completely invisible to the opposite sex.

speak for yourself, i get more glances and flirting now, at 50, than i’ve ever had… ok, its mainly from slightly older women and gay blokes but who cares its all flattering.

mccett
    Free Member

Choosing a comfy motorbike with heated grips and full luggage rather than riding the old Fireblade every day. Turns out to be most used vehicle in the household this year.
    Work takes on apprentices, one refers to the late 90s as ‘the olden days’.
    I’m 43, my son is 15 months old. Fortunately not had the ‘are you looking after your grandson’ comment yet.

hairyscary

According to an ex, I was born middle aged 😐

stumpy01

Not that I have succumbed, but Fat Face as a fashion choice seems to be the preserve of the ‘middle aged & middle class, but trying desperately to still appear trendy’…..

I shan’t fall for that…..

samunkim
    Free Member

I started wearing them when I realised if I teamed them with my desert boots I would NEVER BE AS cool as this gentleman.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-xrKE9rClg[/video]

doris5000

Not that I have succumbed, but Fat Face as a fashion choice seems to be the preserve of the ‘middle aged & middle class, but trying desperately to still appear trendy’…..

Excellent stuff. I bought some Fat Face slippers* this year 😆

*PSA: they were shit. don’t waste your cash 😉

yunki
    Free Member

I started using a leather wallet and stopped being drunk in public before lunchtime

CountZero

This thread smells of cabbage and despair .

And is painted an unpleasant shade of light green…

While that may be true, it’s still better than Wierd Fish and Old Guys Rule…
    Though not by very much…
    I can declare a solemn promise that Satan will host the Winter Olympics before I wear any of them.
    Same goes for polo shirts and chinos.

birky
    Free Member

All just a gradual slide.
    hair appearing … nose, ears, eyebrows, shoulders, back
    hair disappearing … ever increasing forehead, balding crown
    what’s left going/gone grey
    aches, pains and ailments
    in bed by 9
    up for a pee during the night
    awake at 5
    folk starting at work who weren’t born when I started there

johnx2
    Free Member

Beige thread(s).

Blimey though, I recon I’m older than most of you, my best years are definitely behind me and death’s sweet embrace is an awful lot closer than the jarring shock of being born. But I’m clearly nowhere near as middle aged as most people posting. Okay I make noise when I move. And I ask the barber to do my eyebrows (I don’t know why more people who really should don’t). That’s just the price of looking young and funky…

But shopping at Fat Face? Wearing chinos?? Is that what happens?

stgeorge

I can declare a solemn promise that Satan will host the Winter Olympics before I wear any of them.

Winter Olympics 2014 Sochi

Is this you? 😈

blader1611
    Free Member

i am 43 and have a full head of hair that has been going grey since i was 21 so no real middle age moment there. What has struck a chord is that i have now sprouted grey hairs around my man vegetables! This to me feels like an oap affliction not someone as young as me. Ah sod it i am off for a cup of horlicks!

vickypea
    Free Member

I’m 48 and not sure what the definition of middle aged is these days! I don’t drink more than 2 or 3 drinks on a night out because the hangovers aren’t worth it! As someone already mentioned on page 1, I’m more than likely invisible to the opposite sex!

johnx2
    Free Member

I post on here…

edhornby

Having kids.

Slippers

The brutal hangovers

paulevans
    Free Member

Middleage milestone? 2 angiograms last week resulting in a stent being inserted into my heart artery and 6 pills twice a day every day until the end of my day! Not quite the Porsche 911 I’d imagined for my midlife trying point!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hairy ears etc you can’t control.

Wearing jeans and trainers to work…of course you do if you can.

I’m thinking of changing my convertible for a practical car.

Bruce ****ing Springsteen? Might as well be Dire Straits or Chris Rea. Won’t ever happen here!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hang on, that Alexander Armstrong album.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘2day I officially became middle aged Chinos What was your milestone to middleage’ is closed to new replies.