Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • 29r's v 26r's…………time to be honest.
  • singlespeedstu

i personally don’t see many 29er’s at trail centers & i wonder why

Because they’re all in front of you. 😆

tk46hal
    Free Member

I ride (DID) a On One TI456 and now a 29er Scandal! I really do like the ride of the 29er over the 26er. Just try one out, you will be suprised how good the 29er is!

gothandy

i personally don’t see many 29er’s at trail centers & i wonder why ?

Somewhere like cwmcarn I’m a good 10 minutes faster doing a loop on my 29er than on my not to slow in the first place Prophet. I can then do another loop after than and still be quicker and another etc.

However if there was a way to measure it the Prophet would win on fun, so I guess I’m making up most of the time in the climb.

ianpinder
    Free Member

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=678646

There you are a long travel 29er owned by a human

Sorry ton

And for balance there’s a fair few people who post on 29er threads with outdated anti 29er arguments having never ridden one.

Not just from people who have never ridden one. 😉

…taller people may well prefer or find it easier to get along with bigger wheels…

How many races does the 5’2″ willow Koerber have to win before this one stops getting repeated ?

yossarian
    Free Member

Plus one for what firestarter said

The only reason I ride a 29er is co’s I liked the colour of the frame.

keavo
    Free Member

last time i rode a 26er was decent quality full sus hire bike when on holiday in austria. it just confirmed to me that i did the right thing selling all mine and replacing them with 29ers. on that day, the ride involved some very technical and steep, lift assisted downhill style riding.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

People who don’t have both are staunchly against what they don’t have.

I don’t have a 29er, but I’ve ridden a couple. And I like them, I really do.
    But It’s ‘horses for courses’ and I’m very happy with the bikes I’ve got as they suit my riding, and I’d have to ditch one of those bikes to get a 29er. To me they make sense as a rigid singlespeed, so maybe in a couple of years when the Genesis I0 I share with Mrs PP is up for replacement, we’ll get a 29er… 🙂

Given the choice, I’d have a Salsa or a Yeti Big Top 🙂

Paceman
    Free Member

Depends if you’re after speed or fun.

29er – probably a little faster over most trail loops.

26er full-suss – much more fun to ride.

trail_rat
    Free Member

is laggan black technical and rocky ?

if so 29 = full of win for that trail 😉

my 26ers just feel so skittish – its not like i dont have them set up similar (head down arse up)

only bike thats different is my sandman – ill need smaller rims before i go taking on rocky trails on that but on loose tech woodsy trails – it rocks !

i think people get the not so good on rocky tech trails feeling with 29ers is – most folk are niche mongers with rigids and SS – and those with conventional 26ers just cant cope without their 5 inch travel when they demo the 29er 😉

tomlevell

How many races does the 5’2″ willow Koerber have to win before this one stops getting repeated ?

Manufacturers want to sell 29ers as it’s another bike for people to buy and replace a perfectly good race bike with (or trail bike or ss or…) She is paid to ride the bike that the sponsor wants her to race. I’d imagine it makes very little difference to her success what the wheel size is overall (ie not a specific race course)

Oh yes and I rode my 29er yesterday. It had 23mm tyres on with a stupidly small road gear and it rocked the tarmac.

clubber
    Free Member

on very rough rocky techy trails, is your 29r as good as a 26” wheeled bike.

My 29er is a hardtail with 100mm forks. Depends on the 26″ bike. It’s better on that than my 26″ currently fully rigid SS but not as good as my old Spesh Enduro (5″ each end) was.

Comparing like for like-ish – say my 29er hardtail with 100mm travel fork to my 26″ hardtail with 130mm travel fork then the 29er is better at rocky/bumpy stuff – quite noticeably so. Until the rocks/roots get over 4″ or so, then it doesn’t feel dissimilar to a 100mm travel 26″ full susser though anything bigger and the full susser comfortably takes the hits better.

As to fun, I’ve been thinking about that a bit recently having been swapping between my 26 and 29″ bikes. The 26″ bikes still feel more nimble and a bit faster handling which is fun but then the 29er feels more planted and confidence inspiring which then gives me the confidence to do sillier things on it so it’s fun but in a different way. Many 29ers, particularly the slightly older designs had that planted feeling but with slower handling which overal meant that they felt a bit too steady eddie. With the latest geo, that’s not really an issue any more.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Willow herself in response to whether her better results were to do with the switch to a 29er:I believe that I am the engine. That being said, I do love my bike 29er. I believe I could Achieve the same results on a 26 “bike, it just so happened that the peak of my fitness coincided with my switch to 29” wheels.

Will be interesting to see (if you care about that sort of thing) if she chooses a 29er or 26er now shes racing for the Trek world racing team.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

it always amuses me that peoople discuss 29er’s as if they are a single bike rather than a similar multitude to the range of 26er’s.

a badly setup 29er will give a poor ride experience the same as a badly setup 26er.

26 or 29er’s work, but there probably isn’t one of either that does everything.

as for Willow, she’ll ride whatever she gets paid to ride. As Sean Kelly used to say, the best bike he had ridden was always the one he was paid to ride on that day.

oddjob
    Free Member

I have a Salsa Mamasita and I will never buy another 26″ bike. Simple as that. I am 6’3″ and a 29er feels like it is a better platform for someone my seze and I love the way it rides. It could be because I am a bit of a roady, I don’t know, but for me, it’s 29er all the way from now on (until something better turns up :lol:)

chainslapp
    Free Member

Im 6′ tall and ride a 29er and its only now when I look back at the images of the 26″ bikes I have owned, that I notice that they look like gates with the hinges missing. And as “oddjob” said, they feel right for taller people, although shorter people can feel the benefit too. There are pros and cons for all bikes, but as its been said above, its all cycling at the end of the day. 😕

clubber
    Free Member

oddjob – Member
    I have a Salsa Mamasita and I will never buy another 26″ bike. Simple as that. I am 6’3″ and a 29er feels like it is a better platform for someone my seze

While at 6’5″ my 29er which I love leaves me with no inclination to change my other 26″ bikes for 29ers though I’d consider them if/when I replace them. Some bikes are better than others, I don’t think that wheels size is the critial defining characteristic. A bit like you don’t hear people say that they’ll only ride bikes with 30.9mm seat posts.

emac65
    Free Member

Have 26″ & 29″ Inbreds & ride both around Cannook, both are SS.On laps of the munkey trail & if both are run rigid the 29er is quicker,if the 26″ has suss forks on it then it’s quicker, I haven’t got any suss forks for the big ‘un to compare against it.BUT if I run a rigid fork with the 29″ wheel on the little ‘un it’s quicker than both the frames when run rigid……
    Suss fork is still quick overall though….

tk46hal
    Free Member

chainslapper!
    I hope your not having a dig at us shorter folk, or else?

ton

obviously most of you have trouble reading…………….

on very rough rocky techy trails, is your 29r as good as a 26” wheeled bike.

😉

Coasting
    Free Member

At 5’2 willow Koerbers 29er would be the equivalent of a 26er on most people.Imagine who small her 26er must have been,would literally fall between the cracks.She’s not a good example.

daveells
    Free Member

When it gets rough and rocky I turn round and go home to get my 26er.29ers are rubbish for that sort of thing aren’t they?

tk46hal
    Free Member

In my opinion, a 29er rides easier over the rough/rocks etc with a good suspension fork!

james-o
    Free Member

“on very rough rocky techy trails, is your 29r as good as a 26” wheeled bike.”

if suspension, weight and stiffness were the same, geometry was accounted for properly and the rider was equally used to both bikes, there’s still no answer..

ie, define ‘as good as’?

changing to a 29er doesn’t mean the bike rides itself or makes trails any easier than a 26. to generalise having not ridden them anywhere near as much as i’ve ridden 26ers, i’d say it’s still just a bike and the difference between wheel sizes is usually no more or less the level of difference bar size / type, frame angles or other things can make.

one good quote i read was “look for the most technically skilled rider in a group. is he on a 29er? No.”

usually true.

but – add “well ‘ard as in fast and 24hr-ride fit” to skilled, and they often are on 29ers now.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I’ve got fully rigid 26er and 29ers similarly specced.
    The 29er feels bigger, more cumbersome and slower to accelerate but smoother through the back end and more stable. It doesn’t feel any smoother through the front end than the 26er but that could be due to the difference between carbon and steel forks, maybe?

There’s one narrow rooty gap between a tree and fence locally that I’ve got a 75% success rate at cleaning on the 26er. I’ve yet to fail it on the 29er.

lovewookie

I had a Fisher 29er for a while. Ideal for mountain mayhem and flattish commutes where you can wind up the speed. Summertime is where I really liked it, rocks and roots it really enjoyed sucking up, any mud though dragged like a cow.

It wasn’t until I built up a 26er hack bike for the winter that I found myself longing for the quick upspin of the 26″ wheels for my normal bike, the fast acceleration that zipped me along the winter trails.

That said now I’m back wondering if a 29er was really the bike for me, the 26er can seem hard work at times where the 29er would just breeze over things.

big_scot_nanny

I have had, until recently a 29er HT with 120mm forks, and a stumpy fsr 26er with 120mm both ends.

Now, I will temper this with the usual caveat that I am ‘mince-core’ to the max, so not banging 25ft transitions (or 25″ transitions for that matter!) but do ride tech trails.

I hate the way 26er wheels get caught up on stuff, just can’t stand the way they don’t roll, up or down, and just stopped using the 26er because of that. Couldn’t adjust back for bulk of riding I do. Now sold 26er and adding a 29er FS to my HT. Can’t wait. (currently being built up, eta end of week for piccies!)

It was a reeaaaaally hard decision though, as when it is really very steep, and really very tech combined, I do think a longer travel (140mm+) 26er has the edge as it is just more flickable/maneuverable.

I test rode a few (cube fritz, lappiere, canyon) before going for the FS 29er, but just couldn’t justify a 26er for the 0.01% or rides when it was a benefit.

Christ, probably wouldn’t have written that 3 years ago! Ah’m a drinkin’ the cool-aide, brother! Yeeha! 😀

Kev

Willow herself in response to whether her better results were to do with the switch to a 29er:I believe that I am the engine

The irony of this is that while Willow herself claims that the rider makes more difference than the bike, when she next wins a race, Trek will claim it’s because she’s on one of their bikes.

tombell1989
    Free Member

Here’s Christoph Sauser’s opinion (MTB XC World Champion 2008) which should be more useful than people saying “I would think a 29er is better at this…” with no real evidence.
    Link

Don’t know what Coasting is on about…

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

The willow thing though, she was on a Trek before?!? Albeit she was probably contracted to ride the 29er starting out the season on the Gary fisher team. She did earlier in the year say that she thought that the 29er really did help her, but the interview conducted re her move from the Trek Subaru squad to the Trek world squad she said the above, implying that it didn’t make a difference.

Although Sauser’s opinion is interesting I have also read the opposite, it’s really just what suits surely? The whole what pro’s ride, although I find it interesting, is pretty inconclusive, as they are paid to promote the brand and products, know Specialized are pretty keen on the 29er.
    There was an article in on a US site/magazine declaring the 26 hardtail dead for xc and the results did seem to show the 29er hardtail a long way out in front of the 26 full sus and the 26 hardtail…But then tell that to Jose antonio Hermida Ramos!
    Mens worlds result: 1st 26 hardtail, 2nd 26 full sus, 3rd 29er.
    My long winded point is that the pro argument is a bit pointless to a degree, they get paid to promote whatever they ride(in most cases)and put a fast guy or girl on a bike and they will be fast no matter what wheel size or amount of travel.

Mark_K

We I’m lucky that i have a good mix of bikes including 26″h/t with 100mm forks, full sus 26″ EX9.0 with 130mm/120mm and a superfly 100 full sus 29er, each bike has its use imo the h/t general use and hack bike does everything ok, the 29er is the long haul, all day, do everything, adventure bike and the EX is my trail bike, that said i did take the SF100 to Llangollen last time i was there and it worked far better than i expected! The only one that i would replace is the 26″ht tbh i think a well set up 29er HT can do just about everything a 26″ht can do but better imo !
    So there you go conclusive proof that there is no conclusive proof! But for the record i’m 5’7″ and i have the use of a range of bike and [u]I’M[/i][/u] starting to prefer 29ers but i’m not completely sold yet glad i could be of use in this debate lol :p

epicyclo

sutty – Member
    … i personally don’t see many 29er’s at trail centers & i wonder why ?

Probably out riding on real mountains… 🙂

tombell1989
    Free Member

Christoph Sauser’s conclusion is based on hard numbers though, not only feeling, which is what I was getting at, so to call it an ‘opinion’ is only half the story. The Specialized team have been riding 29ers for more than a season and Sauser has the option to ride whatever he wants on that team (in terms of a 26er v 29er). I don’t think you can say that this purely to sell products although I appreciate what you are saying.

And it is difficult to conclude which is best based on a result like the World Championships, as Kulhavy may have won/decreased the deficit if he was riding a 29er, or Burry on a 26er etc. With Willow Koeber, even though the team changed to be Trek instead of Gary Fisher, they were still contractually obliged to ride 29ers to promote the new ‘Gary Fisher collection’ Trek 29ers. It will certainly be interesting to see what she rides on TWR (that is if she even has the option to ride a 29er).

singlespeedstu

Back a little more on track to tons question.

Looks like Trek are playing around with a DH 29er.

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘29r's v 26r's…………time to be honest.’ is closed to new replies.