Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • 29ers vs 26
  • lynchmob
    Free Member

has anybody tried the new 29er fashion & how do they compare to the standard 26. interested to hear your views as i have not had the chance to try the 29ers

uplink
    Free Member

lynchmob
    Free Member

cheers mate didnt realise there was already a post. i did type it in the search but nothing came up which i found unusual. sorry 😳

partyboy
    Free Member

Not this shit again, use the search function ffs 🙄

Rorschach
    Free Member

lynchmob
    Free Member

ok party boy take a chill pill. i did use the search & have apologised

rOcKeTdOg

29er? what are them then ❓

ton

they are shyte.

Rorschach
    Free Member

and the wheels explode.

lynchmob
    Free Member

thanks ton & rorschach i actually got someones opinion

shinsplints

Don’t do it you will die.

rOcKeTdOg

read the sign through the back wheel

August 26th – Rode A 36er Didn’t Like It by Johnclimber, on Flickr

lynchmob
    Free Member

hahaha classic

69er
    Free Member

I’m not sure either way… 😉

lynchmob
    Free Member

downhillers dont seem to use them so are they designed for more xc rider?? unless im mistaken. i will happily be corrected

phatstanley
    Free Member

downhillers dont seem to use them so are they designed for more xc rider?? unless im mistaken. i will happily be corrected

ummmm…..not really the case anymore.
    xc looking hub, though, which is weird.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/Interbike-2011-Day-4-Quickie,2764/Maxxis-Minion-DHF-2-5-29er-tire,26277/sspomer,2

lynchmob
    Free Member

i stand corrected good find mate. does look weird though the hub. there not using em on the uci this year are they. they have stook with 26.

flow
    Free Member

I really want to try one out

rewski
    Free Member

I really want to try one out

that’s what charlie sheen said….

lynchmob
    Free Member

flow try one out & get back to us with what you thought. im curious. is it a fad or is there a big benefit

partyboy
    Free Member

is it a fad

Well seeing as all the major brands have adopted the standard, I wouldnt think so.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

while we are at it what tyre for the winter!

lynchmob
    Free Member

maybe not party boy but it doesnt seem to be takin off that quickly & you can never tell with all the marketing rubbish hence why i ask the question. you seem to be up for more of a verbal battle rather than constructive comments. ‘Not this shit again, use the search function ffs’ so if you have been through it all before why you bothering again. just askin

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

It is a totally shit debate though!

lynchmob
    Free Member

have you tried it partyboy

lynchmob
    Free Member

fair enough seth i was just wanting to know what the benefits were

lynchmob
    Free Member

DH have only just seemed to get on to it. uci world cup this year haven’t

lynchmob
    Free Member

i got fat alberts from germany cheap. i aint had a problem with them to be honest & they do seem to be good in all weather conditions. there are probably better but they do the job for me

partyboy
    Free Member

it doesnt seem to be takin off that quickly

Err, have you seen the Interbike reports over the last few years?

And yes, my main bike is a wagon wheeler.

lynchmob
    Free Member

no i havent partyboy. its your knowledge im after. i asked the question because i would like to learn. please inform me. spread your knowledge. i am interested in your opinion. i dont believe in marketing as i work for a company & i know how marketing works. bullshit to sell. i want honest true biker opinions. thats what i thought this forum was for. what do you think you gain from 29 rather than 26? im not here to say your wrong or right i want to know how you feel the 29 benefits you & what you have gained from it

partyboy
    Free Member

I ain’t going to preach. The only way to tell is to try a few, its a Marmite thing…I love them.

lynchmob
    Free Member

i appreciate that & cheers.

Tricone
    Free Member

I love them as well. My main advice for xc riding is get some good lightweight wheels to counteract their extra size. The early 29ers got some bad press partly because the wheels were heavy making them feel sluggish.
    Also geometry is important. The latest 29ers that have their geometry sorted (keep bars low and chain stays short for example) are responsive and quick. Basically there is no reason anymore to dismiss them IMO.

There – a serious reply!

shortcut

Can’t see what all the fuss is about. 26er are crap!

_tom_
    Free Member

My main advice for xc riding is get some good lightweight wheels to counteract their extra size.

But then won’t they explode?

Dancake
    Free Member

They dont turn left

cakefacesmallblock

I may be old and I may be stupid but;
    If IRC charging round the local woods on my big wheel “clunker” in the 70s was fine until the trail went uphill or turned quick. Granted we are talking steel wheels, frame and heavy tyres. My first “quality” mtb in ’87 was a revelation.
    Narrow minded , maybe, but the whole climbing / direction change thing bothers me a bit.No, it bothers me a lot.
    Too late for me , I’m staying 26er.
    Cos I’m a miserable b&stard.

boxelder

I’ll give you my thoughts as an owner of 26″ SS HT, and XC Full Sus along with 100mm 29″ HT:
    I had a 26″ steel HT and bought a scandal 29er frame to try for trailquests and XC enduros. Built it up with kit off the 26″ HT plus 2nd hand wheels off here. Originally ran rigid carbon forks and the bike flew on road and smoother trails. Once onto rougher trails (Whinlatters reds for e.g.) the rigid fork held it back – great fun though and quick on the climbs.
    Got hold of some FOX 29er forks (off here) and that’s how the bike has stayed for nearly a year. On road, forest fire road and smoother trails, it’s definitely faster. Riding with mates on a 100km+ event, they all commented that once the trail ‘smoothed out’ I was pulling away without really trying. The big wheels are a little harder to get up to speed, though the wheels I have are 1800g +. Lighter wheels would help. The big wheels roll over ‘bumps’ up to ~4″ better – think braking bumps and tennis ball size rocks. On more technical rocky stuff though, the wheels do seem to ‘catch’ a little and get deflected off line – doubtless bigger wheels aren’t as stiff. On that event I mentioned, we’d to ride Kirroughtree’s McMoab with minimum dabbing – I was rolling over small steps etc, but when it came to the tight turns, it was harder to get the bike round (XXL frame mind). The steep chute at the end felt great, cos going over the bars seems impossible.
    If riding rocky Lakes trails I’ll use the 26″ wheeled bike. At trail centres, the big wheels feel so much fun – swoopy around berms etc, it encourages you to lean the bike over more (maybe have to to get round the bends?) and the cornering grip is better. On steep climbs, the front wheel doesn’t lift, but wheelies/manuals are harder. On steep descents, it feels far less likely that you’ll go over the bars. At 6’4″, this is probably the first mountain bike that I feel I’m sitting in, as oppose to perching on, if you know what I mean.
    So, unless trails are tight, rocky and technical, the 29er is faster IMO. At Kielder 100, I was far from fit, so riders were passing me on the climbs, but then I would cruise past on flats, descents with little extra effort. Are they more fun on most trails? Depends how you like your fun – if fast, smoother and swoopy then yes, more fun. If tight nadgery and rocky – I’ll go with 26″ wheels.
    Hope that helps and the pi$$ takers can flame away, ‘cos I’m off for a ride in the pouring rain – on my CX bike!

Clink

We need a STW 26v29 weekend to finish this once and for all! Include a range of 29ers – xc like Scandal to trail like Paradox, Yelli Screamy etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘29ers vs 26’ is closed to new replies.