• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jfeb.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 29ers as other things
  • dasilva
    Free Member

Having resisted 29ers so far I am starting to come round to the idea (mainly because they are undoubtedly faster in the right conditions). What I'd like to know though is how versatile they are. Anyone used one for touring, cross or as a winter road bike?

Commuting, trailquests, XC racing and a 12 hour marathon all on one bike.
    Is that versatle enough ?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have a Surly Karate Monkey, currently set up with a single gear and Surly's (spindly) straight-blade rigid forks.

Generally it runs 2.2"-2.4" knobblies and is used a mountain bike and also as my (short distance) commuter. I've not been doing events so far this year, it may get some XC racing action at Beastway and is likely to be my bike of choice for HONC, CLIC24, Bikefest and possibility HtN, not that I'm exactly a pro-race whippet. Yesterday I did about 80 miles on it on road and the south downs way, running 42mm slicks. I'm considering doing a bit camping tour on it over the summer.

The Monkey has rack and mudguard mounts, although there seems to be an issue using a rack and disc brakes – which I dare say it bodgeable.

That said, I had a rigid Kona 10 years ago with 26" wheels which would have easily done exactly the same range of jobs. I'm not going to say with any confidence that the Monkey having 29" wheels makes a blind bit of difference. It is a lovely bike though.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Picture, as it's not been tarted about much. 🙂

dasilva
    Free Member

Looks nice. I think the kind of feedback I'm looking for is where a 29er with very narrow slicks on might be on a scale of 1-10 with 1 a regular 26 mtb with slicks on and 10 being a road bike, by someone who's tried it really.

I did the local club chaingang last winter a couple of times on an mtb with slicks. Its was hard but I didn't get dropped so I'm thinking 29er might be a genuinely viable option for a winter bike plus there is enough clearance for cross tyres, the only question would be one of geometry and how fast it would be verses a proper cross bike.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

96er is 29er for the intelligent

rOcKeTdOg

how about a 26" with 29er wheels best of both worlds?

dasilva
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – I have an old STP frame which would take 700c wheels nicely and that was my original plan but there's not enough clearance for cross tyres and I fancy replacing my Explosif with a fast 29er hardtail, maybe an Orbea Alma if I can get hold of one. If it'll do road duties well and serve for a few cross races too that may well clinch it for me.

rOcKeTdOg

i also ran a cx fork on the front with the road tires, lifted the front up a bit and slowed the steering down a bit

tootallpaul

I run an Inbred 29er as a touring bike.

And here it is…

Have also used it to do the Dunwich Dynamo too.

:o)

sillyoldman

BigBikeBash – No, it's a compromise for those that don't get on with longer chainstays.

A 69er/96er loses the BB drop which is at the heart of what makes big wheels rock.

rOcKeTdOg

is that a fringed saddle tootallpaul uber niche!

emac65
    Free Member

Used my 29er Inbred with road gears as a winter road bike(& summer,it's the only road bike I've got)with slicks,was doing between 200-250 miles a week on it.It's heavy & not as quick as a propper road bike but as I never ride a propper road bike it doesn't matter,plus my MTB's don't feel too sluggish when I go off road again…

paulandfrodo
    Free Member

I've just taken delivery of a Orbea Lanza 29er 20" frame with uprated folks. I've not got much experience on other bikes… It could be a little lights (they all could be) but boy does it fly ! I'm thinking of getting a pair of slicks for road work. It looks VERY nice…

rOcKeTdOg

pics of yours please paulandfrodo, does it look like this?

jfeb
    Free Member

I am thinking along similar lines. I have a road bike but use it so little I am hoping that my recently acquired Singular Gryphon will fulfil occasional road duties. the only problem is that when I do get on the road bike it is with roadie friends who don't hang about (and are invariably fitter than me) so I can't really afford too much downside from being on a 29er mtb rather than a proper road bike.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘29ers as other things’ is closed to new replies.