Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 29er with carrier bosses
  • adam-the-kiwi
    Free Member

Hi All,

I’d like to access the STW massive’s immense repository of bike-related knowledge, if that’s OK…

I’m looking for a replacement for my commuter bike, having snapped one of the chainstays last night. I’d like a 29er with a rear derailleur hanger (it will be 3×9), disk brakes (only, ideally – no canti bosses) and with carrier rack bosses. I’ll also be looking for a rigid fork, again preferably without canti bosses, capable of carrying front racks.

EDIT: sorry, should have mentioned: frame and fork only – I have everything else…

The bike will be used primarily for commuting, with some touring and occasional off-roading.

Cheers – Adam.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

I've done a bit of research on this and the best one I could find was a Salsa Fargo.

adam-the-kiwi
    Free Member

Thanks IanMmmm. Quite expensive, but I'll definitely take more of a look. Apparently, some of the slot-dropout 29er Inbreds have carrier bosses, but I'd need to find a fork too…

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Niner do a rigid Cro-mo fork that pretty reasonably priced and from memory there are a few more on Chainreaction that are even cheaper. You can also get a Whyte Bros carbon rigid fork for under 200 quid here:

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s125p2491

shermer75
    Free Member

There's no carrier bosses on the On-One 29er's I'm afraid- I've been looking for something similar myself! They have them on the 26in inbred only, for some reason….

brumsgrove
    Free Member

Madisons M-parts do a seat collar with integrated rack eyes – I think the only diameter will fit a steel frame with a 27.2 seatpost such as a Surly Karate monkey (which has the threaded bosses for the lower rack legs / mudguards – I seem to think – Maybe some Karate monkey owners could confirm this?? )

sam-r
    Free Member

planet x kaffenback?

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

You need a dropout like this:-

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

and a frame like this:-

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Singular Peregrine has rack mounts. I'm about to buy one on the Cyclescheme 🙂
    The Voodoo Dambala does too, if you can find one, or the older Kona Unit 2-9, but you'll need a different (sliding) dropout to attach a rear mech.

Nicknoxx – whats that then? Looks like a Rohloff dropout – is there an EBB too?

NZCol

I use a Freeload rack on both my 29ers. Freeload rack link

adam-the-kiwi
    Free Member

Thanks all.

IanMmmm – have been trawling CRC, will take another look. The problem with carbon forks is that I'd like to ba able to attach front racks when touring.

shermer75 – according to the guys at On-one, when I phoned yesterday, some of the larger sized slot-dropout 29er Inbreds *do* have carrier bosses.

brumsgronve – will bear it in mind, but there appear to be a few options with carrier bosses.

sam r – ideally, I'm looking for disk-only frames.

Nicknoxx – you're right, I do. Any clues?

ir_bandito – Peregrine looks lovely, I'll definitely add that to the list.

NZCol – the freerides look like a great idea and I'll seriously consider them as a solution for overnight off-roading, but I alerady have a very good conventional rack for commuting and touring that I want to transplant onto the new bike.

Cheers again – lots of good info here.

Adam…

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

It's my own design and will be made by Lynskey. Deposit paid yesterday. Woohoo. They're going to have to programme a CNC machine to make the dropouts, but once it's been done, it should be easy to make some more. . .

And yes EBB too.

Fork will now have straight tapered blades with segmented crown so blades are parallel to head tube. Also custom, by Waltworks.

I'll start a new thread when there's some pictures but I was so excited yesterday I couldn't help posting here.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Surly Karate Monkey has bosses, although Surly don't think you can use a rack with a rear disc. I suspect it's easily bodge-able.

Getting rack bosses brazed onto an Inbred would still probably be cheapest, even if you needed it re-coloured afterwards. 🙂

epicyclo

Spot the Rohloff user.

I think my On-One 29er with sliding dropouts had rack mounts (also a Rohloff slider 🙂 ) Only used it for a little while then transferred all the bits to a Singular.

I'll check in the attic and post it up later if it has the mounts.

midlifecrashes

Have you had a look at the Kinesis Decade Tripster

Also mark Antony/activesport are doing the Fargo frameset at £399 at the mo

adam-the-kiwi
    Free Member

Nicknoxx – looks lovely, but I fear it won't hit my timescales (that is, built and on the road in the next week) – shame, because it looks perfect. I'll be very interested in hearing more when it does appear…

Midlifecrashes – looks good, and had spotted the Fargo at £399 – I think the Fargo is favourite right now. Build it as a commuter with rear rack, add a set of burlier wheels later…

adam-the-kiwi
    Free Member

Fargo it is!

Now all I need are some good, cheap 29er disk wheels! Actually, I'll build them myself, so I'll get onto CRC and buy the bits…

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Norton
    Free Member

where can you get a Fargo frameset for £399 – I thought they were alot more than that?

adam-the-kiwi
    Free Member

Fargo frameset at activesport

Just finished melting the credit card with Sun Ringle rims, Deore hubs and spokes from CRC and Hope Tech M4 brakes from Merlin (actually, they're for the mountainbike – the commuter/tourer will get the old Hopes). Woo-hoo!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘29er with carrier bosses’ is closed to new replies.