Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 29er wheels + stans rim and tubeless advice req
  • fenboy

Hi all

going to be building some 29er wheels around some dt onyx hubs i already have, I will be using dt competion spokes.

do i go for the arch rims? and will be running tubeless with either ardents or bontrager 29-3's do i need the yellow tape and the rimstrip or just the yellow tape and valve?

I've looked at JRA's site and stans and done a search and can't find the definitive advice i need so looking for the collective mind to help

will be going on a rigid ss. and for reference I'm 15.5st and currently ride 26 wheels with dt240's, rev spokes and 4.1 rims (light build but never had any issues) and previously 717's with no problems. I like wider profile tyre shape given by wider rims but not sure of going to flows?

ta

matthew_h
    Free Member

I would say either Crest or Arch rims. Crest 29ers are very light but seem pretty stiff, Arch 29ers are definitely a fair bit stiffer but with a weight penalty. For both of these rims you need the 25mm yellow tape to seal the rim. With non-tubeless tyres then you will definitely be best using an Olympic rimstrip on the Arches but there is no need on the Crest where you can just use the Olympic valve.

I don't think you probably need to go as heavy as the Flow.

fenboy

thanks, sounds like a good option. i think i'll go with the archs.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I run both the Arches and Flows in 29er form with Ardents and they work just fine with yellow tape and the valve.

FWIW, Im 14st and the Arches are noticably flexier than the Flows even with slightly higher than recommeded spoke tension, so if you intend to ride them hard I would go Flow.

convert

Spooky – been looking at just this myself this morning.

I built up an alfined 29er hardtail (Sir9) recently after months of procrastinating as a mud bike. I built the wheels up months ago with ztr355 rims and bonty mudx tubless ready tyres. The thing is I like is so much for the fast rolling easy stuff straight out of my door (where a 5.5inch FS is a bit of an overkill!), I'm considering buying it some faster rolling tyres for dry summer conditions.

However, I'm struggling to find fast summer ust/lust/tubless ready 29er tyres (maxxis crossmark/ aspen; Racing ralphs etc) for the job so looking at using normal tyres. I'm now kicking myself that I didn't hang on a few months and buy the crest rims when they were launched instead of the 355s as not having to use rim strips saves some weight, a sizable expenditure (£16 per wheel) and a bit of faff switch. I'm guessing you have to take the yellow take off to use the rim strip but need to check.

bigdugsbaws – is that a "standard" ardent you are using?

luked2
    Free Member

I'm using ordinary Maxxis ardent and crossmarks on Arch rims with just the yellow tape, ghetto-style, with JRA wheel milk. Seem fine so far.

convert

Hmm – might just give it a go and see what happens. Thanks for the info.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Yep standard, they air up easier than a lot of UST tyres and have pretty airtight sidewalls. The same cant be said for Aspens unfurtunately 😥

fenboy

bdb when you say flexy for the archs noticably so?

I might try with just the yellow tape first then if i have problems use the rimstrip! it all starts getting pricey very quickly!

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

I have 355 29er rims with just the yellow tape with standard tyres & they have all been fine.

keavo
    Free Member

i have both arch and flow, they are o.k. with just yellow tape (had loads of tyres on them, over 3 years or so). at 15 1/2 stone and liking wider profile get flows, they are much stronger and wider for little extra weight.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

bdb when you say flexy for the archs noticably so?

Yes, its pretty noticable on my full suss 29er. Arch wheelset is destined for the lightweight hardtail now.

boxelder

Where has Stans 29er rims in stock?

tazzymtb

29er ztr 355 rims, yellow tape and using bonty xr3 tyre combo with the 2.3 front 2.0 rear combo, bloomin fantastic and easypeasy to set up with a track pump

NZCol

Been using ztr355's with WTB velociraptors, prowler and maxxis crossmarks all non-UST just with yellow tape/valve and gunk. No problems so far in about 18 months.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘29er wheels + stans rim and tubeless advice req’ is closed to new replies.