Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 29er wheels for winter road duties
  • cheers_drive

Is anyone running 29er wheels with 25c or 28c tyres? Google has told me that Crest 29er rims don’t work but I haven’t found much about other rims. With lots of 29ers out there now I was thinking it would be easier and cheaper to get 29er wheels instead of custom build road / cx disc wheels.

johnnystorm

I’ve fitted ‘cross tyres to my crests. It was a bloody nightmare getting them on mind.

cheers_drive

That’s what I heard for cross tyres on crests and that road tyres were impossible

druidh
    Free Member

I managed cross tyres on Arch EX. Is there something specific about the Crest that makes them so difficult?

cheers_drive

Arch EX would definately be too wide for 25c tyres!

druidh
    Free Member

Oh aye – These were 32c 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

I got Si at Webbs of Warmley to build my fatlad commute wheels – some cheap Halo rims on some NOS XT pre-disc hubs. Really good value and tough as the olde boots. Had Conti 28 tyres on there with no problems.

scud
    Free Member

I run 28c road tyres on my Alex rimmed CX wheels that came on Croix De Fer bike no problem, gives me a comfortable disc brakes road bike with mudguards for winter duties

cheers_drive

They will be used on a Croix De Fer: original wheels for off road new wheels for winter road. The Kinesis CX wheels look good for the job for £280 http://road.cc/content/review/69946-kinesis-crosslight-cxdisc-wheels, a little more than I want to spend on winter wheels though.
    Or some XT disc hubs on Open sports might do the job but would be a little portly.

pjt201
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of 32c cross tyres (maxxis mud wrestler iirc) on my cross bike on crest rims. went on no problem.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

pjt201 – Member
    I’ve got a set of 32c cross tyres (maxxis mud wrestler iirc) on my cross bike on crest rims. went on no problem.

So have I. A Spesh tyre on the front and a Bonty on the rear. Just took the front off this morning to fix a puncture, no problem at all.

igm

Got a set of Open Sports on Hope Pro II laced with DT Revs for my Gryphon’s road going wheels. £289 didn’t seem too bad.

Sam

I’ve got a pair of Mavic TN719 (or whatever the number is… width is good for 25 or 28c tyres) on Deore hubs which aren’t being used at the moment – were briefly on a demo bike. If you fancy them say £90? Hot tip on nice rolling large section tyres are the Challenge Parigi-Roubaix 27, lovely high tpi tyre, lightweight and roll like a dream! pretty snug fitting tyre though, you’d definitely struggle to get them on Crests….

slugwash
    Free Member

Hmmmm, seem to remember that my mate was running road tyres on Crests in France this summer, though possibly they were 32s.

Click here for further analysis….

Crests on CdF in France

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run 28mm GP4Seasons on my 29er Crests for commuting. They are VERY tight though. Stupidly so. God help me if I puncture out on the road.

Next set will be road rims built onto MTB hubs, maybe Velocity A23s on Pro2EVOs.

bails

25mm GP4seasons on Crest 29ers here. They’re tight, but doable, just make sure the tyre is in the well in the middle of the tyre to give you a bit of (relative) slack to work with.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘29er wheels for winter road duties’ is closed to new replies.