Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 29er Wheel builds.
  • Inbred456
    Free Member

I have a 29er Cannondale SL Trail. Problem is the wheels. Can somebody recommend a good wheel builder that will do a Rear wheel 19mm internal width preferably but I’d go up to 21mm if need be. At least 32 spokes but with a quiet running hub. I’m sure Hope are very good but I can’t stand the clacking. This is my Xc bike mainly for fitness and mileage. I have a 27.5 for daft trail stuff. I have searched the forum for wheel builders but all sorts of stuff comes up. It’s easy to get a super dooper mega spec rim but not a light weight XC rim. I’ve seen a few recommendations on past threads but can’t find them now.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I would recommend speaking to 18 bikes. Matt has built me several wheels which have all been flawless

hatter

Them or Moonglu if you’re closer to that way.

Both are excellent

orangeboy
    Free Member

What sort of weight are you and what sort of budget.
    Problem is even the crest rim is now 23 internal.
    Maybe some of the ryde rims but don’t know the widths.

vincienup
    Free Member

You’re going to be struggling a bit with wheelbuilds so narrow without going and seeing someone or learning to do it yourself and going crazy in CRC’s sale. Building really isn’t hard if you’re methodical and organised. There isn’t any essentially equipment other than a spoke key. Everything else can be done with an upturned bike frame.

OTOH, if ‘fitness bike’ means the same to you as it does to me, maybe just get something off the peg like a set of Crossrides? They’re still only 21mm with the ‘width upgrade!!!’, the hubs aren’t loud and they’re pretty cheap at around £150 a set and upward depending where you shop…

Inbred456
    Free Member

I’m 15st (6ft 4″ though!) I used to get my rims from merlin mavic rims xt hubs etc. Mainly bridleways 3 ply tarmac with a bit of smooth singletrack. The wheels needed the spokes retensioned when I got the bike. Since then a few spokes have snapped where they go through the hub. Long walks back to car!

Inbred456
    Free Member

Never thought about wheel building. I’ve worked in engineering for 30 yrs so should be able to pick it up. Are straight pull hubs for the spokes a lot better vs cost? I don’t mind spending a bit of cash as long as it’s a reliable solid build that isn’t to heavy and noisy. When I ride to get some miles under my belt for cardio I like it to be quiet so I can relax and forget about work etc. Noisy hubs are ok at Hamsterley with my Son when we are messing about! I love the Cannondale it’s like my do it all gravel bike but a bit more capable if it gets a bit rough.

tthew

There should be loads of narrow 29er rims available, as they are the same OD as 700c. A decent touring rim should be plenty strong enough and any half decent LBS will be able to build a perfectly strong set of wheels.

Then again the Mavic website still lists 119 and 719 rims, and more choices of ?21’s so you could just go the same way as you have in the past.

1 minute on Google
    Futher 20 seconds.
    Slightly more expensive rim

Northwind

What’s wrong with a Crest? Lots of options with those on. One of the default lightweight XC rims.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Thanks tthew. Never thought of buying the bits then getting it built. Might see if I can get a 36 hole xm719 29er rim to match that xt hub.

Northwind

XM719 is not light. That’s not necessarily a problem, it’s a solid, if ancient rim but you said you want lightweight.

tthew

Ah yes, I misread the OP, thought he wanted something a bit stronger. On the Mavic website, the XC ones are all 21mm, but for standard rims Mavic don’t exactly seem to have been very innovative of late, so they might still be considered heavy.

hatter

20 mm and pretty light… how about THESE

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OP – If you’re anywhere near Farnborough, Hants, drop me an email.

Inbred456
    Free Member

PP do you build up rims? Or have any for sale.

Northwind

You could do this:

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/bor-germany-fuel-wheelset-blowout-sale.htm

Plus code BIG50 to make it half price. It’s a completely ridiculous wheelbuild- big heavy hubs, middle weight spokes, really nice light 19mm internal XC rims. (I haven’t ridden on mine, so I can’t vouch for the rims or anything- I’m swapping the hubs for some DT240Ss. But they’re well spoken of.)

Out of the box with all the stupid spec it’s still good value for an 1800g tubeless ready wheelset- you’d pay that much for 2 equivalent rims tbh

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘29er Wheel builds.’ is closed to new replies.