Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 29er tyres – Bonty ACX? or others?
  • andyl
    Free Member

Looking for some tyres for my 29er, need something pretty general purpose but needs to be good in the wet and mud etc going on the weather we have been having down here on the Mendips this week!

Was looking at Bontrager ACX (£17.99 each) or Mud-X (£24.99 each). It looks like I will be getting some Bontrager rimmed wheels so hoping to run tubless which those tyres can.

andyl
    Free Member

evening bump as I need to order some ASAP.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i run both of these on my 26″ bike. mud x are a slightly thinner and more agressive version of the acx. i really like the acx and how well they roll as well as how well they deal with mud. make sure you get the TLR version of the ACX as they have a better compound and are lighter than the normal ones.

tazzymtb

bonty XR3’s are good, 29-3’s are good, ACX are ok but nowt special.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

ACX are great utilitarian tyre, nothing special just average at everything

MudX are brilliant mud tyres

clubber
    Free Member

I’m using ignitors on my Bonty tubeless rims. work very well.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

having had BOnty XR3’s i’d say they’re not bad but I’m a maxis man and found ignitors work really well

tazzymtb

schwalbe 29ers are the best big hoop rubber out there, maxxis tend to explode in a sea of spaff if you give it some when using stans or joes rims

zippykona

Ignitors, thumbs up from me.

andyl
    Free Member

hmm looks like these ACXs I’ve spotted aren’t TLR versions – will email to check. Cheers for the heads up.

I did look at ignitors too actually and the XR. Tempted to get some Mud-X for now and see how I go. I suspect it’s going to be a very wet winter 🙁

Good grief – just seen how much they are – £45 – I can get a car tyres for that!

ahh is this them? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=51557

Durometer 70A compared to 62A here: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Maxxis-Ignitor-29er-Off-Road-Mountain-Bike-Tyre_40964.htm?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Product_Search&utm_campaign=Froogle01

matthewlhome
    Free Member

IMO the mud x and jones are very similar. If you are not too fussed about rolling resistance then get the 2.0 mud x. I only switch to acx for the ‘drier’ months for a bit more cushionIng when the ground is harder.

andyl
    Free Member

yeah I am leaning towards the mud-X and then pick up some summer tyres in Spring. What are they like on wet rocks? We have lots of wet sandstone around here.

CiderRiderRich
    Free Member

Have just put some Specialized Purgatory tyres on my rigid single speed 29er. Been very impressed so far, grip well in the mud and on fireroads. A bit weighty at 740g, but they are tubeless ready and seal without a hitch. Have them at 30-35psi and for the muddy stuff.

Picked them up at my LBS for £21 each

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I don’t have too much wet rock near me, but the mud x is pretty grippy on most surfaces including wet roots sonshould be fine on sandstone (which I would think is pretty grippy anyway)

geordiemick00
    Free Member

schwalbe 29ers are the best big hoop rubber out there, maxxis tend to explode in a sea of spaff if you give it some when using stans or joes rims

ironically I went down hard on Racing Ralphs as the TLR tyre came off a TLR monty rim with monty rim strip. Replaced with ardents, cross marks and ignitors(on 2 bikes) and whilst they are expensive they fit beautifully and are noticeably stronger without any weight penalty

Clobber
    Free Member

Mud-x are on jejames for 19.99 I love mine, I also don’t think they roll tooooo badly

Edit: oh poo that’s just the training wheel ones…

iamtheresurrection

I really like the 29 MudX, but somebody else on here hates them… Horses. Courses.

I was out today in the woods. Wet, muddy and slippery. At low pressures, the grip over roots seems brilliant: better than the 26 equivalent.

markenduro
    Free Member

I use kenda nevagals all year round, fit the back one on back to front and it looks like it will give you more traction (not actually sure it does but hey ho). Have had ACX and the sidewalls are not the strongest, could be a factor if you ride in rocky areas.

olie
    Free Member

Really!!!

I’ve had exactly the opposite experience, in fact an exploding Racing Ralph cost me dearly at mayhem last year.

I use LUST Ardents and Crossmarks and they are great, I’d be amazed if you could get one to roll off a rim especially a Stans.

Fraid I’m with Geordie Mick on this one!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Where can you get ACX 29er tyres from , they stopped making them a few years back . Were my favourite 26 tyre and would like to get hold of a pair of 29ers if they are available .

charliedontsurf

Your bike cost a load and tyres have more influence over the ride than anything else. Also life is too short. That is why schwakbe nobbly nics are the way to go if you want mud performance and racing ralphs if it’s dry ish.

andyl
    Free Member

Charlie – very true but £90 on tyres is not doable at the moment. I don’t even know if I will like the bike!

The ACX I have seen are not the TLR ones but the Mud-X and XR3 are. Will stick up a wanted thread in case anyone has any lying around with plenty of life left.

ona29er
    Free Member

Just ordered WTB Exiwolf from CRC (£13 each) to replace Bontrager XDX. Looked at loads – asked on here and had some good suggestions too. Waiting for them to arrive – hopeflly they will fit (2.3″) my GF Mamba. If not, could have some for sale!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘29er tyres – Bonty ACX? or others?’ is closed to new replies.