Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 29er Tyres
  • valleyvelo
    Free Member

Have just built up my Scandal 29er and have fitted some Kenda Nevegal tyres as have used them years ago and found them to be pretty grippy.

What i seemed to have forgotten is how draggy they are! Can really feel it on the trails.

Any Recommendations? Something grippy but still fairly quick.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

If you’re looking at that kind of tyre, then a Racing Ralph will be as grippy but faster. Get a snakeskin sidewall version though.

I’m constantly amazed by what a Ralph will do, even in winter conditions.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Specialized ground controls are pretty awesome all rounders

amplebrew

I really like my Maxxis Ikon’s

zippykona

I’m surprised how well my mud x roll compared to ignitors.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

I’d go with Racing Ralph’s definitely ….. But also consider a Rapid Rob…… Old spec Ralph but lower spec compound….. Bargain!

Stoner
    Free Member

just back in from taking 29erkeith for a tour of Mount Malvern. He was ridign SS with Mud X, I was SS with Ignitors rear and Racing Ralph 2.4″ front.

I love my ignitors but mine is starting to suffer from worn-out sipes and was slipping a bit on honking climbs. The RR did very well as usual. But when Keith & I swapped bikes for a bit I was very impressed with the Mud X – not draggy, good knob spacing like the stouts but not as hard work. Might get one to put on the back until the spring returns and I can go back to a brand new ignitor.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve got Rapid Robs which were brilliant over the summer (if you can call it that) but anticipating softer and more moist conditions, with a layer of wet leaves underfoot over the winter I decided to go with something with a bit more bite. I was orignially after Specialized Ground Control 29er, but struggled to find them and was told they are now discontinued. Moved onto Specialized Purgatory Controls, but at the last minute was swayed witth Hans Damf up front and the less draggy Nobby Nicks on the rear. It is a pricy option but is way better than the Rapid Robs when it is a bit slippery – so this will be my winter season setup and the Rapid Robs will go back on for the Summer.

forge197
    Free Member

Running Maxxis Ardent’s back and front on my Scandal, very pleased with them, roll well and work in many conditions.

ds3000
    Free Member

SS rigid – Ardent 2.4 on front – Beaver on back, tubeless, flows, very nice indeed.

Thinking of switching to beaver on front too, anyone got any experiences?

vorlich
    Free Member

rigid – Ardent 2.4 on front – Beaver on back

+1

icarus
    Free Member

Mud X,front and rear on my Scandal 29er,work great here in the East Mudlands.

sillyoldman

Try a new style Bonty 29-4 on front rather than a 2.4 Ardent. Better all-rounder and much better in bloop than the Ardent in my experience.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Continental MK 2’s here – seem to roll well, my mate runs the 26″ones and swears by them.

flashes
    Free Member

I have Beavers both ends, so far I’ve been pretty impressed. But only had them 3 weeks, they climb up wet grass better than the Small Block 8’s and roll only slightly less well……….

takisawa2

SS rigid here, 2.4 Racing Ralph on front, 2.35 on rear (they dont do the 2.4 any more). Not quite Nevegal level of grip, but they roll almost as good as a Smallblock8.
    And I could swear the new RR rolls better than the old one… 😐

limkilde
    Free Member

rigid – Ardent 2.4 on front – Beaver on back
    +2
    tubeless

mashiehood
    Free Member

Rocket Rons

Grace
    Free Member

Front is easy….Ardent 2.4 or new style Bonrager 29-4….both brilliant…I had a R/Ralph on the rear for a while…also a Crossmark….but overall prefer the 2.25 Ardent Exo…I agree with all the posts about how well the RRs roll….they’re very fast – but give out a bit too easy on corners…IMO and all that.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘29er Tyres’ is closed to new replies.