Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 29er Singlespeed Suggestions?
  • sam_commencal
    Free Member

As well as my full suss, I have an on-one inbred singlespeed for the local trails.

I’m quite tempted to try out a 29er, but I still love the singlespeed thing so I’m thinking about swapping the inbred for something with wagon wheels.

It must be available as complete bike and it must be a big wheeled singlespeed with suspension….Budget is around £1000.

So far I’ve had a look at the Genesis fortitude – I don’t like rigid, lurcher – no singlespeed complete bike option, cotic simple – no complete bike option.

Any ideas?

rapiddescent

I just bought a cube 29er for singlespeeding. They are awfully good value for money too – especially if you buy from germany since the euro is plummeting in value.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Singular Swift.

IME 29er rigid is a lot easier to live with than on a 26er. It’s obviously not as ‘easy’ as a 29er with suspension, but it is stiffer, cheeper, and doesn’t go wrong*.

*I like haveing at least 1 bike that never needs maintenance, I don’t mind fiddling with the FS bike to keep it sweet for weekends, but the Swift is the bike that goes for weeks without a wash and only the occasional chain lube when it starts to turn orange, and get’s ridden more days than it gets left in the shed.

rOcKeTdOg

Swift isn’t a full build, it is a great SS though

nbt

am also tempted by 29er SS, but will probably go rigid, and might have to wait till the current 26 ss (chameleon circa 2000!) is defunct. Still worth me keeping an eye on this thread though…

Moses

Are Haro Marys (Maries? ) still available? One of them plus a set of 29er forks would work well.
    Being a cheapskate I bought mine 2nd hand and like it very much. I plan to put sus forks on, but missed the On-One cheapness sale.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

wift isn’t a full build, it is a great SS though

I missed that bit, but still £600 buys a nice build even at an LBS.

MrSparkle

I had a brief whizz round on a Singular at last years SSUK thanks to Sam ‘Mr Singular’ Alison. It was pretty darned good.

belugabob
    Free Member

How about this?

You;ll probably end up changing the forks & brakes, but that will still leave change from £1000.

A friend has one and I have the geared version – both of us upgraded forks & brakes and absolutely love them

franki
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Genesis Fortitude SS and am very happy with it so far.
    I wouldn’t overlook it just because of the rigid forks, unless you really, really must have suspension. It does give a much smoother ride than my 26″ wheel rigid SS.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

I have one of the 29er Scandals which oomes with two sets of dropouts for geared or ss.

Could easily build one for under £1k with a reasonable spec.

EDIT: Sorry just saw it had to be full build, i assume OO are not doing a full Scandal build

chunkypaul
    Free Member

With the budget I’d be looking at the on one x5 bike but speaking to them about upgrading the frame to one of their swap out frames instead

DaveE

Took the budget option and got Trek Marlin SS.
    Have swapped brakes for Maguras and will upgrade forks but for just over £400 a great start to SS 29ing.

qwerty
    Free Member

Being a tight arse on a budget i went for one of these bad boys, real good fun, yet to be thrashed off road but its dealt with rough stuff fine so far.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I always think it better to build or get built the bike you want frome the frame upwards with the kit you need for the riding you do. I don’t see the point in doing what I used to do and buy a complete bike and end up upgrading various bits when various important parts got trashed as they where not up to the job.

takisawa2

Charge,

Surly.

Rigid works so much better on 29er.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘29er Singlespeed Suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.