Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 29er singlespeed gearing
  • adeward
    Free Member

I have been riding singlespeed since 1999 and have always run 2:1 normaly 18 36 as I think that having more chain wrap around the sprockets is a good thing,

but shortly I will be getting a grown up 29er SS

what gearing do you guys run,,

brant
    Free Member

I used to run 32:18 on my 26in SS, and kept the same gearing on my 29er, so I ended up pushing harder/going faster – the big wheels kind of helped.

This was when I was younger and fitter. I'd probably go 32:20 now – so 36:22?

adeward
    Free Member

cheers Brant
    hope you are all having a good break,, and looking forward to a productive new year

emac65
    Free Member

32:18 is near enough 2:1 on the bigger wheels & feels about right to me,much better than 32:16 did on 29" wheels did………. 😯

big_n_daft
    Free Member

get a gear table to compare the ratio's

32:18-20 for 29er depending on how fit/ fat you are

so it's 32:20 for me which gets me up 95% of the local trails

Keef
    Free Member

I've been SS'ing for a few years and recently gone to 'grown up' wheels.
    I'm running 32/19 for the muddy/snowy/hilly stuff (mainly Canuck)works well enough,recently had a spin round CYB,went 32/20 for that,which was nice…..
    when it dries up,I shall be back to 32/18……'cause that's the law(like 32/16 on 'trainer wheels')
    hope this helps.
    Oh there's one muppet who rides with us on occasion who ran 32/16 on 29er,only 'cause he didn't realise,LOL ! still,fast as **** on the fire roads !!!

Swayndo
    Free Member

It's hilly around here … I use 33/20. Made myself believe that faster tyres would allow me to run a harder ratio in the summer … tried 33/18 and almost had a hernia. I'll stick wi 33/20.

I'm in Highland BTW.

trail_rat
    Free Member

on my rig

32:18 when racing or out in the cairngorms

32:16 for all others

fontmoss
    Free Member

34:19 (cos its horizontal dropouts and thats the right length of chain) but anything around 32:18 to start will be fine

Clink

32:18 here – muddy Mendips! have run 32:18 for longer/hillier endurance rides.

29erKeith
    Free Member

32:16 with 180 cranks here 90% of the time
    18 or sometimes 20 for hilly rides

mboy
    Free Member

29er wheels have approx 10% larger rolling radius, so gear down 10% over what you would on a 26" wheeled bike…

fontmoss
    Free Member

sack it! go jesse lalonde tall ass gearing-something like 36:16 and race an elite open field….ouch

Clink

32:18 here – muddy Mendips! have run 32:18 for longer/hillier endurance rides.

ooopps! 2nd ratio should be 32:20

emac65
    Free Member

Oh there's one muppet who rides with us on occasion who ran 32/16 on 29er,only 'cause he didn't realise,LOL ! still,fast as **** on the fire roads !!!

LOL 😆

Actually, it was cuz I didn't think it would make that much difference & there wasn't one climb that beat me either ! Ask Alex or Carlton,we visited the SEA & Ring that day too 8)

Keef
    Free Member

😆 thought that might lure you out JJ.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Glad I saw this thread – I'm just about to build my first SS 29er, and would never have clocked the need to alter the gearing against what I run on a 26" SS. Thanks! 😀

emac65
    Free Member

thought that might lure you out JJ.

😉

So are you out tomorrow then ?

Keef
    Free Member

mmmmmmmmmmmmaybe 😉

charliedontsurf

The rough rule is take you 26er ratio andadd two teeth to the rear. So 32:16 becomes 32:18

having said that 29ers roll fast so you tend to use it in a different and faster way. That's probably why I run 32:17. But these are southern softy ratios where the biggest hill is 600 foot.

Earl
    Free Member

My 29ss came with 40:18 ( wtf! )

Now on 32:19 and much better for it.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

sack it! go jesse lalonde tall ass gearing-something like 36:16 and race an elite open field….ouch

yep, he is a bit quick, as is his Kid bro….

34×20 on a 29er for me, introduced to that gear by "Buck" Keich, and has worked for me ever since……

chunk0_5

running 32×18 on my 29er ss all yr rain or shine. hope it helps 💡 😀

Frankers
    Free Member

Inbred complete bikes came with 33×18

thekingofsweden

Jesus i have run 36/20 for about three years everywhere for everything !

JamesP
    Free Member

32×17 on my RIG for all duties. I found 32×18 a bit spinny on the flat. 32×17 on the North Downs and Swinley seems fine but I do have to get out of the saddle and attack the hills a bit more.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘29er singlespeed gearing’ is closed to new replies.