Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • 29er Scandal's – Lets see some photo's
  • bentos
    Free Member

Waiting on my first 29er to arrive (2nd hand off the classifieds) and I am interested to see everybody else’s 29ers.

Bonus points if they are SS.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i really need to take another photo!

dickie
    Free Member

Yes, I’m interested too. I’ve built a Singular Swift 29er but so far not that impressed, I can’t get comfy & I think its the front thats too high despite no spacers, low rise bars & a 6 degree inverted stem (Singular 685mm fork fitted).
    What size Scandal 29er frame for 5’11” – 18″ ??
    With the slotted drop-out frame does the rear brake caliper need to be reset every time the wheel is removed.

scholarsgate
    Free Member
    M6TTF
    Free Member

What size Scandal 29er frame for 5’11” – 18″ ??

what’s your inside leg? – im a smidge over 5,11 but have 33″ inside leg so plumped for the 19.5…. probably could have rode either but I dont like running a scaffold pole of a seatpost

dickie
    Free Member

About 33″ too, but I thought 620mm eff TT of the 19″ would be too much.
    My current ride has a 607mm eff TT with 100mm stem & in line post.
    Was planning on fitting a 400mm carbon lay-back post 😕

M6TTF
    Free Member

why fit a layback post? – just buy the 19.5 and fit a shorter stem, anywhere between 70-90mm.

dickie
    Free Member

Cos I have one, thats all.

Stoner
    Free Member

Bimbler
    Free Member

Further fuglified with the addition of mudguards and a Thudbuster. I’m 6’1 with a 34″ inside leg and that’s an 18″

chainslapp
    Free Member

Nice looking bike Stoner, what size is it please? 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

that’s a whopping 21″.

Ive kept the frame but now ride a 19.5″ O-O Ti29er which is a better fit for anything that isnt flat.

Smooth XC stuff and the 21″ scandal is a better frame though.

ski
    Free Member

[Sorry – slight post hijack]

Has anyone evere owned both a scandal & Inbred (d76)?

Always had Inbreds, do wonder what a Scandal would be like 😉

Stoner, that looks sweet in black.

chainslapp
    Free Member

Thats the same dilemma I face at the moment. I have just sold a sliding drop out Ti 29er frame recently in 18″, as it felt a little too cramped. I loved the feel of the Ti so am wondering whether to wait until O-O bring out the next generation 29er Ti or go for a current Scandal in 19.5″. How tall are you Stoner?

Stoner
    Free Member

My inbred and scandal when retired for the Ti29er

the inbred has a new life as a luggage bike:

The scandal is many times more compliant ride than the inbred. Got a real zip to it, but doesnt beat you up as much. Probably as much to do with the longer wheel base and larger tyre diameters as much as the material.

Stoner
    Free Member

Im 6’4″.

Got tired of always sitting over the back wheel on a 20″ inbred with a long post.

Went 29er with the 21″ scandal and loved all the space and room – was nice to sit in a bike rather than perch on top of it for a change.

But (at Brant’s recommendation) I went down a size when I went for the Ti29er.

I can still use a long post when I want (not that I need to that often), but with the longer wheelbase I dont end up hanging out the back, but I get the bollock clearance.

Stoner
    Free Member

perched:

admittedly the bike’s in touring mode though.

chainslapp
    Free Member

Which would you say you prefer between the ride of the Ti and the Scandal?

PS In the way of balance for the OP I have attached a pic of a Scandal. 😀

chainslapp
    Free Member

And a single speed version as well. 😆

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Chainslapp, I have a 19.5 SS Ti29 I am planning on selling in a few weeks if you are interested?

Edit: Apologies for the hijack!!

Stoner
    Free Member

Which would you say you prefer between the ride of the Ti and the Scandal?

really tricky that one.

Pride would say the Ti29er naturally. At 4x the price of the scandal, youd hope so wouldnt you 🙂

But the scandal is a better ride on the rolling stuff. Mine is an original Scandium with vertical drop outs BTW so is made of magicmetal.

I would say I ride them differently. Ill throw the Ti harder at stuff than the scandium. The scandal was lovely in SS carbon fork mode. Just kept on wanting to roll on.

chainslapp
    Free Member

Hi Doug, I would be interested if it would take gears as well!!

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

No but could sell you an Alfine wheel too 😉

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Just waiting on a SS frame from the classifieds to build up another 😉

tazzymtb

normal slot droppy ss

mongy geometry prototype SS only

mongy geometry version scotchbrited and silly light

Clink

mongy geometry version

How’s it ride compared to the ‘non-mongy’ version??

Bernaard
    Free Member

Oh summer where art thou………….

tazzymtb

clink, it’s very nippy, better on the downs due to the laid back stylee handles better with the 47mm offset fork rather than an older 38mm version which was fine on the “normal” version. I’m building a 51mm offset frankenfork this weekend so should be the best of both worlds.

Still fancy a stupidly light string n glue 29er though

M6TTF
    Free Member

my 19.5 when I picked it up in the summer

Stoner
    Free Member

I do like that green.

Reminds me of (is it?) Peterpoddy’s Sanderson Breathe frame that he tanked into the back of a car.

chainslapp
    Free Member

Hey Matt, that 19.5 in BRG looks just right and how I would imagine mine would look regarding the amount of seat post showing. How tall are you Matt and are the forks at 100mm?

M6TTF
    Free Member

Yep, forks running 100mm, doesn’t feel overly high IMO. I’m a smidge under 6ft with an inside leg of 33″. I reckon either 18 or 19.5 wouldve been fine but as I mentioned elsewhere I don’t like running a scaffold pole of a seatpost so went with the 19.5. Got a 90mm stem which feels ok but may experiment with an 80mm at somepoint.

Ehereabouts are you? You’re welcome to try mine for size

chainslapp
    Free Member

Im based in Stoke on Trent so ride a lot around Cannock. What about you?

I totally agree regarding seat post length and as you will see from the pic below, this was the reason I sold the frame as well as feeling a little cramped. Im also 6 foot with a similar inside leg measurement.

tazzymtb

@ chainslapp oh lord not another oatcake munching attention seeking big wheel rider 😉

@M6TTF Have you taken the bigwheel round macc forest and the peaks yet, they almost make the climb up wildboarclough nice (although I do wish for gears sometimes but let’s keep that quiet)

oh and leave my scaffold pole alone you big bullies 😀

chainslapp
    Free Member

Yep, oat cakes are the preferred weapon of choice. Plus your scaffold pole you refer to looks right on your bikes though. 😯

PS I have another big wheeler in the garage as well. shhhh

tazzymtb

if you fancy a local ride at hanchurch or hoot around the secret/cheekies at cannock let me know matey

chainslapp
    Free Member

Will do, which part of the potts are you from?

tazzymtb

I’m an immigrant from cheshire living in n-u-l so I’m not a proper 5 towns boy 😀

chainslapp
    Free Member

You’re bringing some “posh” to the area then in that case. Nowt wrong in that, 😆
    I’m near Blythe Bridge.

Another pic for the OP.

M6TTF
    Free Member

I’m in macc so not that far away. Big wheel has been in service non stop since I saw you at macc forest taz, it’s great, I love it. It does climb well although I do find technical climbs tougher compared to my fuel ex, just a case of changing my riding style. I’d not ridden a hardtail for about 10 years! I’m in awe if you can get up Cumberland brook on your singlespeed! (coming down is a hoot 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘29er Scandal's – Lets see some photo's’ is closed to new replies.