Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 29er road/tourer/sportive lurcher or Dirty Disco?
  • vondally
    Free Member

Hello seen the DD on ebay for Frame and Fork, I am a total mountain biker for the last 25 years but have done a couple of sportives this year on a 29er, enjoyed it but currently knackered knee so looking for a winter/occasional sportive bike that will

have similar angles to a mtb
    take discs
    be comfy/complaint as much as possible
    cheapish I have wheels 29er
    take mtb parts…….especially a 48 outer ring

allow some bike touring

Real reviews on Lurcher and DD welcome please

at nearly 6ft but shrinking will a med Dirty Disco work for me?

vondally
    Free Member

evening crowd

nedrapier

evening, vondally!

(no idea, sorry.)

vondally
    Free Member

evening ned

😀

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I hate to plug but if the shoe fits…..

Soma For Sale

*** EDIT ***

Must read the post in full next time, if your 6ft it will be to small – sorry

I am 5’8 (just) and have a medium Planet X XLS so I recon a large would possibly suit you better.

BadlyWiredDog

Oddly I’ve just de-built a Soma Double Cross and put on the bits on a Dirty Disco frame, it built to a genuine 20lb without any fancy bits and running Hope Hoop Crest 29ers. I’d say it’s comfortable enough, takes discs obviously, I’m running a 34/50 compact but with an 11-32 mtb cassette on the back and it’s fine on and off road and quick.

It doesn’t have similar angles to a mountain bike – or at least a modern one – but it’s certainly not twitchy like a racy road bike.

Touring? I guess it depends how you define that. There are no rack mounts etc, but then again Mike Hall rode a DD round the world, so it clearly can handle some big miles.

I really like the thing and being able to ride on and off road on the same bike – I have a mountain bike also and a proper road bike, so I tend to use those for the specifics – and disc-braked crossers make brilliant winter road bikes ime. Great at night on pot-holed back lanes as well.

I don’t know about the mtb geometry thing. Maybe something like a Cotic X, which felt sluggish up front to me, might work. On sizing, the 54 DD works for me at 5’9.7″ or something like that, but it’ll depend on your proportions and preferences I guess.

Don’t know if that’s any help, but I’m loving the Dirty Disco right now. All matt black and no stickers. Only slight concern is that the tyre clearance is tight at the back with 34s on Crests, one of the brake hose mounts is disconcertingly close to the sidewall.

vondally
    Free Member

BWD that is helpful and not, are you running drops? cable or hydro?
    Can I run flat bars on the frame? Any pics of your current DD?

BadlyWiredDog

I’m running Salsa Cowbells, which are drop-bars with a bit of a flare on the drops and TRP Spyre cable disc brakes. There’s not much around on the hydraulic front yet and both the Spyres and Avid BB7s are fine most of the time. Cranks are Shimano 105 compacts, shifters are Tiagra.

I suppose you could run flat bars if you wanted, but you’d need a longer stem than for the same size frame running drops. I used to run a Road Rat with flats, but If it’s simply that you’re wary of drops because you’re used to mtb bars, I’d suggest giving them a go.

They work really well and you get used to them pretty quick. I’d suggest compacts though, makes it much easier to ride on the drops because they’re basically not so low down.

I’ve not taken any pics, I’ll try and remember to do one tomorrow, but it looks nicely stealth without stickers on frame or rims.

vondally
    Free Member

Cheers BWD

damascus
    Free Member

What size tyres would you need? I think from memory the DD will take a 40mm Tyre. The lurched will take a 2.2 inch Tyre.

My friend runs a DD for his winter bike. As above weighs in at 20 lbs with average gear and bb7s. He really likes his but the lack of mudguard lugs on a winter bike is the only downfall although the raceblades seem to be OK.

Px used to sell a DD with flat bars when it first came out.

vondally
    Free Member

tyres wise I suppose flexibity to run 35mm through to 2.2………everything from sportive/challenges to MTB

DD appeals as it will be faster than a 29er in road mode and more calm than a full on road bike, weight wise is light and I can use a set of 29er wheels in the shed, more mtb parts in shed

Lucher will struggle to take a large chain ring on a triple? ideally wanted a 48 outer mtb.

Like the idea of a DD

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘29er road/tourer/sportive lurcher or Dirty Disco?’ is closed to new replies.