Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 29er rims? what does 29er actually mean
  • bonj
    Free Member

My new (disc braked) road bike has got what are described as “29er / 700c” rims (mavic x470).
    Now to me they’re essentially just 700c disc rims as they take 700c tyres.

I was under the impression that “29er” meant 29″ wheels. However they can’t be 29″ in diameter as 700c wheels are approx 27″ in diameter.

???

jota180
    Free Member

29″ with tyres [ish]

MrTall
    Free Member

29″ is the approximate size with an offroad tyre fitted i believe?

njee20
    Free Member

Correct, as decided by Gary Fisher. They’re both 622mm ETRTO.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Marketing means that 29″ is different from 700 and not much else- a 29er is, in essence, a jumped up hybrid and called as much so mtb’ers don’t look roadie-ghey.

However, 29″ refers to the diameter with a 2″ tyre on. This principal also applies to 26″ wheels- a 26″ wheel is 24″ plus a 2″ tyre.

Wierd innit?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

However, 29″ refers to the diameter with a 2″ tyre on. This principal also applies to 26″ wheels- a 26″ wheel is 24″ plus a 2″ tyre.

No, it’s a 22″ wheel with a 2″ tyre on it :p

bonj
    Free Member

oh, so a normal mtb wheel is 3″ less in a diameter than a road bike’s wheel, not 1″ then??!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Duh!

(edit- that’s at myself, not you, obviously!)

bonj
    Free Member

I’m beginning to prefer the french method.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Here’s a question, 28″ tubular tyres, are they for 700c wheels? They were £15 each in decathlon and I thought for a minute they’d make for a good excuse for some more wheelbuilding with some on-one rims and ebay hubs. But didnt knwoy if it was like 29er innertubes (which are labled as 28″ and work on 700c rims)

I get bored in the evenings and wheelbuilding is a nice clean activity I can do on the sofa, unlike most bike jobs.

njee20
    Free Member

Here’s a question, 28″ tubular tyres, are they for 700c wheels? They were £15 each in decathlon and I thought for a minute they’d make for a good excuse for some more wheelbuilding with some on-one rims and ebay hubs. But didnt knwoy if it was like 29er innertubes (which are labled as 28″ and work on 700c rims)

Tubs are usually marked as 27″. Got a link, or was it just in store?

singlespeedstu

a 29er is, in essence, a jumped up hybrid and called as much so mtb’ers don’t look roadie-ghey.

They jump down aswell as up you know.

This might help you tell the difference in future. 🙂

A 29er.

A road bike.

A hybrid.

eshershore
    Free Member

My new (disc braked) road bike has got what are described as “29er / 700c” rims (mavic x470).
    Now to me they’re essentially just 700c disc rims as they take 700c tyres.

I was under the impression that “29er” meant 29″ wheels. However they can’t be 29″ in diameter as 700c wheels are approx 27″ in diameter.

???

@bonj

the difference between road / CX / hybrid 700c rims (ERTO 622) and a ’29er’ specific rim is the rim width

the 29’er rim is substantially wider to support the larger volume (2″ +) tires that gives rise to the name ’29er’

any tire under 2″ in size will give less than 29″ diameter when wheel is measured horizontally across the tire edge to opposing tire edge

the wider 29er rim is important to properly support the wider tire, to prevent excess tire roll or deseating

fenred
    Free Member

That banshee is blimmin’ gooooorgeous!!!!

rOcKeTdOg

Do you mean DTx470? Coz that’s what i have on my hybrid/29er

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘29er rims? what does 29er actually mean’ is closed to new replies.