Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 29er riders anyone gone to 650 wheels…
  • vondally
    Free Member

So looking at a big travel bike, gnar mince tank-matic-gasm….just recovering from a rotated disc above compressed discs in my back so fancy a nice big bouncy bike….so was looking at a codine or thumper but seen a 650 frame from a maker who I have wanted to own for a while it is a 160mm travel. However I like the 29er stability rollover so has anyone gone 650 from a 29er and what are your thoughts…..apart from it makes the trails come alive,……..

benji
    Free Member

I’ve bought one to compliment my 29er, is definitely more nimble in tight turns. But keeping the 29er a it’s the right took for more open places I ride.

mark_rich
    Free Member

Yes just gone from stumpy evo 29er to canyon strive and loving it.
    It feels a lot more capable and stable on the steep knarly stuff and just more fun.
    Doesn’t quite have that rollover ability that the 29er has but doesn’t feel much (if any) slower on the fast pedally stuff and I’d say it climbs better on steep climbs thanks to the shapeshifter.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Went from a whyte 109 29er to a whyte g150 ,I must admit it took a few rides to get used to it but I really doubt I would go back to a 29er now really love the 650b

parkesie
    Free Member

Got a cannondale f29 as a fast xc bike that has just been joined by o e of those bargain 650 cannondale triggers for mincing around trail centers. Both great fun to ride in their own ways.

konanige

Ride 29er codeine myself, can’t see any advantage to going to a smaller wheel only marginally bigger than a 26. Don’t find my bike any less nimble than my old 6 inch travel kona, riding way faster now and not hit anything I shouldn’t have yet 😯

leegee

From a Sultan to a Kona Process 134 and its way more fun and faster but doesn’t climb anything like as well.

eshershore
    Free Member

I was interested and borrowed a giant xtc 27.5 for a week. Really nice frame but I just found it slower and less capable, especially on flat corners than my stumpjumper 29’er hardtail.

Would like to try a 27.5/650 full suspension bike if I ever went somewhere that needed a more gnar bike!

vondally
    Free Member

…..

and not hit nothing I should have

exactly what have you hit….but in all fairness sounds like my riding.
    Can I ask what the build is on the codine?

Jason
    Free Member

Epic 29er (100mm travel) to a Trigger 650b (140mm). So bikes designed for different things really. Can’t say the wheel size has really made much difference, whereas the geometery is more noticeable. Having ridden the Trigger a fair bit now, I am glad I went for the 140mm travel 650b, rather than the 130mm travel 29er. I also have a 29er hardtail, which is great and I can’t see me ever changing to a 650b hardtail.

Gotama
    Free Member

Tested both the new bronson and 5010 the other week on local trails as I was considering a full sus and wanted to try out the smaller wheel to make sure I still preferred 29er as 650b hadn’t arrived when I switched over to 29. Whilst more nimble I find the bigger wheel makes the bike feel much more stable and less like I’m likely to tip over the front. These were both xl Santa Cruz bikes and I’m 6ft 3 so not a case of the bike being too small. Picked up a second hand banshee prime following the test and it just reinforces it further for me. I much prefer big wheels, I don’t find they cause me an issue by being less nimble, it’s more feeling than anything, and as an aside the prime is amazeballs. If you’re looking for that type of bike I’d thoroughly recommend trying one. If you’re anywhere near Surrey hills you’re welcome to have a go on my xl.

househusband

Had a couple of 29″ handrails over the last three years (Salsa El Mariachi and then a Lurcher) but they just didn’t do it for me; lbs offered me a rude-to-decline offer on a Merida One-Twenty XT earlier in the year and so!d both the Lurcher and the older 26″ FS. Saying that I don’t really do much mountain biking these days so it made sense to just have the one.

sprocker
    Free Member

I went from banshee prime to 27.5 zesty. Prefer the zesty as I found the prime too much, a bit heavy and hard in the tight stuff. Would go for another 29 though, really like the look of the new Pivot 429 trail.

vondally
    Free Member

Is there a difference between 29er and 650 when it comes to hardtail and fs…..I am looking at at 650 160 mm enduro machine versus 29 er 140/130mm full size?

takisawa2

I’ve put one 650 wheel on my 29er.
    I can recomend this course of action.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve put one 650 wheel on my 29er.
    I can recomend this course of action.

+1

The rear, just in case you were wondering.

chakaping
    Free Member

I was gonna sell my 29er FS and switch to a 160mm 650b – but now I’m thinking I want a new one of each.

Better get saving then.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘29er riders anyone gone to 650 wheels…’ is closed to new replies.