• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nerd.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 29er hardtail recommendation
  • nerd
    Free Member

Probably been done to death but the search didn’t show up anything…

I’m looking to buy a 29er for bridleways and singletrack. I’m not in any way gnar, and don’t really like trail centres. I’m much more into old-school map crossing XC riding. So I value something light but relatively comfy, front travel of around 100mm.

Any recommendations, budget of £1200?
    So far I’ve been looking at a Grand Canyon or a Trek Superfly. Anything else I should consider?
    Cheers.

BillOddie

Cotic Solaris with a lightish build.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have a look at the Boardman Pro 29er.

It’s often reduced to £800 and then you can also apply 10% BC discount, taking it to £720.

This will mean you have plenty of budget for a dropper post and wheel & tyre upgrade.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Singular Swift, though I’m not sure who is offering complete build but I would have thought you could get something for £1200?

Epic bike of epic epicness.

warns74
    Free Member

Orange Clockwork 100

jekkyl

yeah orange clockwork or solaris, go 2nd hand you’d get a very decent machine for that money and then plenty left over for a full service and replacement parts, if required. Oh and if you don’t enjoy trail centres you’ve been to the wrong ones.

dave661350

If you don’t do gnarly stuff don’t waste £200+ on a dropper, waste of cash IMHO.

core

For that sort of stuff I’d think I’d go for something XC-ish from one of the big players. I’ve got a solaris and had a scandal before that, a riding buddy has a superfly, and I have to say I prefer it to both, it’s a decent, light aluminium frame, lots of standover and very playful and direct feeling.

Even most XC bikes have got slacker and lower, some are in the territory that ‘hardcore hardtails’ were 4 or 5 years ago, not so many 72° or 73° head angles these days.

jobro
    Free Member

Yes, a dropper post for bridleways might not be needed.
    The Superfly is a pretty good bike and nice looking as well. Not sure if this is beyond budget but if its comfortable map crossing you are into wouldn’t a short travel full bouncer be a better proposition?

NormalMan

I must confess I quite like a steeper HA for mile munching and bimbling! (There, said it, now runs and hides)

That’s why I recently bought a last of line Surly KM Ops. Really comfy and smooth. I like the precise handling too.

Purchased for under the OP budget too but I think it might be a tad heavier than what they are looking for.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Canyons are tidy. I have a Cube Reaction carbon. Quite an old school HA so perfect for flatter bridleway type trails, as you suggest. I’m happy with it. [mine is a rigid, weenie build though, sub 9kg]

jambalaya
    Free Member

Cotic Solaris with a lightish build.

Great recommendation but it will have to be used at £1200 budget, personally that’s what I’d do spend £1,000 on a good used Solaris and keep rest for upgrades/replacement parts as required.

NormalMan

There are a few Solaris on eBay atm. All under budget.

I had mine advertised for £1000. with XT and Hope but got 0 interest in it. Ended up deciding to keep both the KM and Cotic.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP .. I know it’s not what you asked for but Cotic selling an ex-demo 275 BFe (been on a mag demo for 2 months) for £1000 posted vs £1600 new. Bargain. I already have a BFe and Inise it for everything from “dh” to 60k xc (noote 60k is as far as I have ever ridden 😳 )

jonnyboi

Cube reaction carbon for a grand in Paul’s cycles,

Dickyboy

Cannondale trail sl29 1 £850 at Paul’s cycles too

nerd
    Free Member

Thanks all. I think I’m probably going to get a Superfly 7. I’ve only read good things about them and I can get a decent discount at the LBS which makes it around the same price as the Canyon, when delivery is factored in.

I like Canyons – I have an Endurace road bike, but I think the geometry of the Superfly will work better for me.
    Thanks all!

Jamba – A BFe is definitely not what I’m after! 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘29er hardtail recommendation’ is closed to new replies.