Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 29er ghetto tubeless?
  • stoddys
    Free Member

What have you used?
    24″ or 26″ tube

pypdjl
    Free Member

I use 24’s, but I suspect 26 would work as well.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I just used gorilla tape and an old valve, less messy if you end up with a puncture.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Gorilla tape with Bonty TLR tyres, up first time and have stayed up

stoddys
    Free Member

If looked up gorilla tape, did not know this way worked.
    Looks much better than the tube way.
    Next question.
    If I can’t get “gorilla” tape what’s the next best thing?
    Only because I’m in cyprus and I might not get the brand “gorilla”

Do I just need a smooth duct tape type tape?

DandyMole
    Free Member

I’ve used a 26″ tube on my 29″ Surly Rabbit Hole rim. The 3″ Knard tyre seems to be fine with this arrangement, ridden it a few times now. No issues with the tyre ‘burping’ or loss of pressure overnight (only at 12psi though). Had to use a couple of strips of insulating tape to hold the Surly rim strip in place, as manipulating the tyre when setting it up moved the rim strip enough to leave a gap under pressure for the inner tube to bulge out of.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Anyone done the Gorilla tape approach with cross tyres?

ahwiles
    Free Member

26″ tubes work fine for me…

steve_b77
    Free Member

Gaffer or duck tape

Or just buy it off the t’interweb

stoddys
    Free Member

Thanks mr clarkson er I mean Steve b77,
    I’m in a rush so the interweb is too slow. I’ve got punctures in both tyres and a bottle of stans on the shelf ready.
    I thought duct tape was too porous?

bigbloke
    Free Member

Did my 29er Fulcrum wheels with Gorilla tape , tubeless valves (superstar) and New Michelin Wild Grip’R2 TLR tyres. Went up first time with just a track pump, stayed up since with no air loss or issues no leaks or anything untoward. Absolutely stunned to be honest it was so cheap and simple.

Muke
    Free Member

1″ Gorilla tape for me but have also used both 26″ and 24″ tubes for the split tube method. Both worked ok but 24″ was better,be careful not to cut into tyre when trimming xs tube.

Bigmantrials

I have just converted my 29er to tubeless this weekend using the 1 inch gorilla tape, worked a treat although I did need a compressor to seat the tyres, but I expect that could just be a technique thing! Took it out for a ride yesterday and it maintained pressure fine, I can’t see any reason it might fail. Alot tidier than an innertube too!

mboy
    Free Member

The inner tube slit down the middle method is MUCH more reliable than the gorilla/duck tape method, especially when it comes to stopping the tyre from burping.

In fact, I’ll push the boat out and say the inner tube ghetto method is the most reliable way of running tubeless out of all of them that I have tried (pretty much everything) in 10 years that I have been running tubeless. It might be a little more faff than UST, but it’s as good as impossible to burp a tyre!

CheesybeanZ

Shirley the inner tube method adds the weight saving back in plus the fluid , tape must be the better option ?

mboy
    Free Member

Shirley the inner tube method adds the weight saving back in plus the fluid

Nah mate, you cut 2/3 of the tube away after you’ve inflated the tyre. 24″ inner tube weighs less than 200g, lets say 180g to make the maths easy. So once you’ve removed the excess, the remaining inner tube (including valve don’t forget) weighs about 60g. Probably a bit heavier than the tape method, but a whole load more “burp proof”.

composite
    Free Member

Gorilla tape.

CheesybeanZ

Doh , Cheers Mark 😳

stoddys
    Free Member

Well I went for the tape method.
    There only budget wheels with proper ust tyres, if I had a better track pump they would have gone on using one, it was soooo close.
    Trip down the garage one blast of air later all up and running.
    I did put 3 scoops of stans even tho it says 2, just reckoning 2 for 26″ 3 for 29er?
    Update tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
    I will wait and see about burping.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘29er ghetto tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.