Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 29er gearing -how much am I going to loose at the bottom end?
  • Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’m sure I could work it out but I’m equally sure someone already has…
    Before I do anything rash and start looking at any 29ers for my XC bike, it strikes me that I’d be loosing quite a bit of gearing at the lower end.
    I currently use a 22t granny and 11-36 cassette and do use the whole block.
    The equivalent of how many gears would I loose from the low end by going from 26″ to 29″?
    I’ll then see if I can live without the bottom “n” gears for a bit before I get my creditcard out.
    Ta

matthew_h
    Free Member

29ers work out about 10% higher geared than a 26″

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The 36t would feel like a 32, or the 22t woudl feel like a 24t on the front or thereabouts.

I’ve a single ring on my 26er and a 29er SS, with 22-36 you’ll be fine unless you really are built like John Prescot and considder thw wheet content in pie pastry as one of your vegetables.

lovewookie

To be honest I don’t think I noticed the difference on my 29er. Ran the same chainring sizes and the same cassette size. Once you get the wheels turning it’s fine, I imagine you may notice on slow techy climbs, but probably not anywhere else.

stimpy
    Free Member

Went from 26er with 11-32 cassette to 29er with 11-36 cassette.

Hated it and ditched the 11-36 after three rides; put 11-32 on the 29er and all much better. Stupid pointless dinner-plate sized sprockets that never got used. Want to spin it? That’s what the granny ring is for.

lovewookie +1

GrahamS

The Gear Seer website is quite useful for visualising and comparing gearings:
    http://www.andrusia.com/gearseer/#

As is Sheldon’s gear calculator:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

But more importantly you should read this 😉

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Cheers guys.
    GrahamS, ooops I promise I’ll lose the loose ‘o’s.

Stimpy, you need some bigger/steeper hills. I was talking about using all of the 36 with a 22 granny to get up stuff like this on last night’s ride

roverpig

Tyres on a 29er are typically a little narrower than on a 26″ bike. So, using Sheldon’s calculator and assuming a bottom gear of 24×36 (not that it matters for the percentage of course), we get:

60-559 = 17.6 inches
    56-622 = 19.4 inches

So the bottom gear on the 29er is 10.2% higher than on the 26″ bike.

Or, as matthew_h said in the first post “about 10%” 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Stupid pointless granny rings that never got used. Want to spin it? That’s what the dinner-plate sized sprocket is for.

FTFY 😉

stimpy
    Free Member

😆

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘29er gearing -how much am I going to loose at the bottom end?’ is closed to new replies.