Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 29er Full Mudguards – what's best?
  • letmetalktomark

Looking to winterise my 29er Inbred for winter and this rear I’d like to get full guards …. I know, I know ….

So what’s best?

2.2″ tyre front and back

z1ppy

I’ve been using a Topeak Defender XC11-29er the last 2 winters, sturdy and doesn’t move around. Though the newer “mudhugger” get a lot of love being so close to the rear wheel

Hang on, You mean road “full road” mud guards don’t you? SKS are normally the front runner

MSP

Cascadia 29er mudguards, don’t know if anyone in europe is stocking them yet, I got some sent from the states off ebay. They are/were a bit wider than anything else on the market a couple of years ago, the only ones wide enough to cover a proper mountain bike tyre width.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Supposed to be good for 2.35 tyres, but even in my salsa which has massive clearances you’d struggle to get more than 2.1-2.2 in there, but they do work well at that.

Ignore the 28″ bit, that’s just because road bikes used to be 27″ (700c is actually smaller), so a big-ish tyre on a 27″ rim is 28″, then we adopted the smaller 700c rim as 29″.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/sks-bluemels-set-28-mountain-range-b65-black-54049/wg_id-1824

STATO
    Free Member

Ignore the 28″ bit, that’s just because road bikes used to be 27″ (700c is actually smaller), so a big-ish tyre on a 27″ rim is 28″, then we adopted the smaller 700c rim as 29″.

Actually, 28″ is euro touring size. 622c rim (same rim as 700c and 29″) touring tyres are listed as 28″x1.8 or whatever. So a 28″ mudguard only goes upto big touring tyre size, B53 on fits 47mm (1.8″) tyres.

[edit, just saw you can get B65 which should be bigger]

fin25
    Free Member

Have used the bluemells (65) on my longitude with 29×2.4 tyres. Bit of faffing to fit them, but once they were on, no trouble…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘29er Full Mudguards – what's best?’ is closed to new replies.