Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • 29er frame design, what would you have
  • Ringo
    Free Member

looked at them and bistickel etc, something about the blackcat 😀
    just done 20 mile on my pikey jones, god its a fun bike

tazzymtb

something about the blackcat

yeh they look like they were made for halfords 😉

Sam

bigdugsbaws – Member
    You were the one that said that 44mm gave ‘maximum flexibility’ Sam, I was merely pointing out that taper or 1.5″ offers more flexibility

My meaning was that it would give maximum flexibility with regard to ability to use different forks, not to change head angle. In any case, the whole point is moot, because you can’t even get 1.5″ or tapered head tubes in steel. So there’s not much point in rolling your eyes at me when you’ve made a suggestion which is as unfeasible as it is unnecessary.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    brant
    Free Member

1.5in headtube in steel. OUCH. HEAVY.

I’d have this.

Lefty head tube
    454mm chainstay and split seat stay to take 50×28 or 50×20 belt drive.
    Rohloff cable guides.

Should be here in a couple of weeks. 😀

adeward
    Free Member

did Porter say a couple of weeks? it did take a little longer for mine

Terry
    Free Member

For thoose of you with facebook.

Check out aricycles. I have a steel frame he made for me. I know him in person. But he makes the coolest frames.

Latest a TI 29 beltdrive with super short chainstays, 2.5 tyre clearence and assymetrical chainstays.

This bike was a nightmare to build. Everything took twice as long. But now a dream is born….:-)

Posted by Ari Cycles on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Ringo
    Free Member

Midlands graham, my other frame is belt drive with 440mm stays which I love

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Sam the OP asked an opinion on 44 or tapered headtube, and for your future reference:

18 Bikes Tapered steel headtube

Another

Ade, he quoted about 8 weeks from placing the order, only two weeks to go.

Ringo, I currently run 32×13 Rohloff and 32×18 SS.
    The nearest I could get to those ratios, both using the same chain stay length, was 50×28 and 50×20, which both work out at 454mm.
    I’ve had to buy two rear pulleys and two belts, but luckily only one front pulley.

mick_r

The 18 bikes tube says it is a 1 off machined from billet – there was some talk but not sure if they got round to doing a batch sufficient for sale to other builders.

And both the tapered tubes you mention look far too long for a 29er with 120mm travel fork. So neither is of much practical use for this situation (unless the OP is immensely tall – in which case I figure he isn’t going to enjoy ultra short chainstays).

Thanks for the link though – I’ve been trying to find a 44 tube in the UK and 18 Bikes have some Reynolds stuff.

So back to 44mm being the only practical option.

And back to the OP instead of pedantic headset comments – have you seen MTBR 29er forum? – there was a post last week with a homebuild lightweight gnar frame that might have some good geo tips – titled something like “West Coast AM hardtail”

adeward
    Free Member

My estay bike is belt ready, just need to get the cash together to place the order it’s not cheap,

I am looking at a 50 t front and 28 rear and a 115 belt or a 24 and 113 belt with alfine hub , to run a 417 ish chainstay length

Sam

Sam the OP asked an opinion on 44 or tapered headtube, and for your future reference…..

The 18 bikes HT is external tapered, so would not take a 1.5 fork anyhow. The Deda one appears to be the same, and may or may not be available – I’ve certainly not seen it in their product listings.

You’re right, he asked an opinion, I gave mine and I gave the reasons for it. Not quite sure why you’ve then suggested less practical, verging on unavailable, options then tried to shoot me down for disagreeing with you…

Anyhow, enough of this pissing about, I’m sure Black Cat would have told you all this anyway… I’m sure you’ll end up with a lovely bike and look forward to seeing it (although they did steal my pivoting drop idea 😉

Ringo
    Free Member

Todd at black cat does indeed agree with you Sam , ade I have a 38 front with 22 or 20 rear, the centre track is far better than the old design

Ringo
    Free Member

Sam, are you going ssec and will you be bringing a buzzard would love to have a play on one 😀

Sam

Ringo – No SSEC I’m afraid, and even if I were, couldn’t really bring a Buzzard as they are geared 😀

adeward
    Free Member

MidlandTrailquestsGraham

just been looking at your drawing , 25.4 for the chainstays they are a bit chunky
    mine are 22 on my estay bike and i am tempted to go smaller if i get another done would also help your tyre and front ring clearance

jameso

I’ve been trying to find a 44 tube in the UK

Mickr, Reynolds made a 631 44mm ID headtube for me when I was at Genesis, it’s a stock part in the catalogue now. It’s 48.3 OD I think rather than 50mm as it’s from 631 stock tube. Looks fine with the FSA xx44 headset though.

brant
    Free Member

MidlandTrailquestsGraham – Member
    I’d have this.

Lot of crimping on that chain stay, and a very short slot on the front of the seat tube. I predict a fatigue failure 🙁

oxym0r0n

The 18 bikes tube says it is a 1 off machined from billet

Not according to my link – cut-down-able too…

Shame there is not a simple SS option on the Buzzard – it looks lush in the Privateer advert

Terry – I recently found Ari on FB – look like some nice, simple designs – another one on the list…

mick_r

Great if 18 are doing the tube for general release – not sure how much cut down it will accept – a 29er wheel and big fork can end up with some awfully high bars. I guess nothing that couldn’t be solved with a re-program of the CNC machine…….

Now the 44mm tube exists and is being rapidly accepted as a “standard”, I’m not quite sure what the benefit of tapered head tubes are for steel mtbs?

Thanks Jameso – I’ve already emailed Matt at 18 to see if he could sell me a tube – all my stuff comes from Ceeway – never investigated if Reynolds will deal with hobbyists.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘29er frame design, what would you have’ is closed to new replies.