Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 29er Curious
  • chico66
    Free Member

So I’ve decided the only way to find out is to actually buy one!

What HT 29er for under £1k? (would be bought through C2W) Needs to be available in small as I’m only 5′ 4″ (another can of worms?)

I’m straying towards an Orange Clockwork or possibly a Whyte 529 but is there anything else that’s a hands down winner?

In all honesty, it’s probably going to end up as a commuter/spare bike but it might be a revelation! 🙂

wwaswas

5’4″ ?

get 650B or stick with 26″

ahwiles
    Free Member

Scandal?

johnnystorm

On-one Scandal?

chestrockwell

Heard good things about the Clockwork from those that own one.

My mate has a small On One Inbred and really likes that.

Pyro

Start cheap and look at an upgradeable, maybe? Trek Marlin can be got for under £500, Evans had a couple of 15.5″ frames left when I last checked.

warns74
    Free Member

Big thumbs up from me for the clockwork. Everytime I ride it I always comment on how much fun it is, I love it!
    I would offer you a test ride but afrad mine’s an XL! 😀

NormalMan

Spesh do small sizes, so Rockhopper?

bellefied
    Free Member

I’ve got the Orange Clockwork – managed to get the s version in large on sale for £920 from Drake Cycles in Leeds.

I’m still getting used to it, but my initial impressions are that for cross country its definitely faster; it climbs better (? larger footprint = better grip?), it climbs faster, descends faster (bigger wheels), haven’t done anything too technical at the minute, but it feels responsive.

After moving from my old Cannondale F5 I can definitely say it feels different – not just in the speed.

The 26 wheels feel livelier when moving off, whereas with the 29er you are more aware of the additional angular momentum needed to get them rolling – but there is not much in it.

They are definitely different beasts, and while I loved my F5, I sold it last night (got £250 notes for it) and though I was sad to see it go, the 29er just feels better all round for me (and for my height) and I love getting out on it for a ride.

z1ppy

I thought the 529 geo/ride was a lot of fun, though I’d suggest getting the better spec’d 629. The 2013 models are starting to get discounted too (Winstanley’s/Edinburgh Bike Co-op) as Whyte are pushing out the 2014 models early, so you may be able to push your LBS to match these discounts.

ratherbeintobago

On-one Scandal?

They don’t seem to have 16″ frames in stock, ever.

They do have small Inbreds though

ads678

I can vouch for the inbred, mines great. It would never replace my Five but as a commuter/xc/family rides bike it’s great.

Bigger wheels are definitely less chuckable/nimble but it’s still a really nice bike to ride.

happyrider
    Free Member

I have a 29″ Inbred and at 5’6″ I find it fine. It’s fairly long so a 50mm stem make it better.

Good fun up and down techy steep rocky stuff. I can’t say I’ve noticed it any less chuckable but maybe I’m not very sensitive to such things…

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I rode tons of bikes in my last job and felt that the Whyte 29ers were the most sorted 29er I had ever ridden by far. The short chainstay length makes a massive difference and it’s the first bike (among 26ers!) where I take to the air readily. It is absolutely superb. However, I’m 6′, so you have to go on other people’s advice as to what it’s like if shorter.

They turn corners (sounds stupid!) whereas I was struggling with most others…!

bellefied
    Free Member

nuttysquirrel – Member

I rode tons of bikes in my last job and felt that the Whyte 29ers were the most sorted 29er I had ever ridden by far. The short chainstay length makes a massive difference and it’s the first bike (among 26ers!) where I take to the air readily. It is absolutely superb. However, I’m 6′, so you have to go on other people’s advice as to what it’s like if shorter.

They turn corners (sounds stupid!) whereas I was struggling with most others…!

sounds very similar to the orange clockwork – did you have a chance to compare the two?

avdave2

Whyte always seem to show very high standover heights on all of their bikes of all wheel sizes. I don’t know if it’s just how and at what point they measure them but you’ll need to try one to be sure.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Sorry, the Orange Clockwork is one I haven’t tried.

Agreed – I have a full suss 29er Whyte with great stand over but I had previously always had trouble with standover height on Whyte hardtails, which is why I never bought one.

forge197
    Free Member

5ft4 and ride a small scandal 29er I was also 29er curious, it’s built as a 1×10 and my training bike, its done many miles in a year and its a real joy to ride absolutely love it. The nicest hardtail I’ve owned so far, my 456 carbon has been stripped and sold on it became redundant it just didn’t get a look in, and when I tried the 456 again just preferred the Scandal, builds up light too.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘29er Curious’ is closed to new replies.